Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think the 330ci out performs the IS in every category.. I think I am leaning towards buying the BMW instead..

comments please

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you got the cash, get the 330ci. If you are strapped for cash, then get the next best thing: the IS300. The IS300 is a poor man's BMW. I can't afford the BMW myself, so I will settle for the IS300. Can't wait!

·
Registered
28 Posts
i concur... how did you come up with your conclusion though... the only reason i ask is cause a lot of posers on this board write cramp and can't substantiate it

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Acceleration: the 330ci does low 6 secs 0 - 60 .. the IS low 7 secs

Handling: the IS has great oversteer and doesn't seem stable at 100 mph speeds.. the 330 .. c'mon nothing beats a beemer's 50/50 weight ratio

Styling: The IS taillights have been played out before the car touched the shore of the US, the beemer has a history of great looks..

on the flip side the IS is newer..

but I am leaning towards the 330

·
Registered
82 Posts
Originally posted by 330ciBoy:
i concur... how did you come up with your conclusion though... the only reason i ask is cause a lot of posers on this board write cramp and can't substantiate it
36k-40k is too much for my current situation. I like the price range of the IS300. If I get the IS300 in Solar Yellow, then it will look just like a BMW 3 Series.

------------------

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered my 330ci two weeks ago after test-driving both. There's a saying in the BMW community, whenever anyone is undecided between the two brands: Drive them both. If you can't tell the difference, buy the Lexus.

I first drove the IS300 at the Lexus Performance Tour at Golden Gate Fields, and was somewhat impressed, but when I drove the BMW I was blown away. Better handling, steering, shifter (5 speed manual!), brakes, and of course much better accelleration. The price difference between my 330ci and a fully loaded IS300 is about $3500, and worth every penny.

That's not to say the IS300 is a bad car in any way, I just think it's more appropriate to compare it to a 325i, last year's 323i, or even an E36 3-series sedan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
VBGod, at least you're an honest man. you sure you can't scronch up some more dough for a 330ci? but good luck with the 300, it's not that bad but still not a bimmer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Originally posted by 330ciBoy:
VBGod, at least you're an honest man. you sure you can't scronch up some more dough for a 330ci? but good luck with the 300, it's not that bad but still not a bimmer.
Thanks, but I will continue to shoot for the BMW or Mercedes. The overall picture will be much clearer this Spring.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why not just get the IS.. feel like your driving or beemer and go in style?
Originally posted by VBGOD:
Thanks, but I will continue to shoot for the BMW or Mercedes. The overall picture will be much clearer this Spring.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah but if you buy strut bars, sway bars, and coilovers for the IS for it to handle like Beemer you get back your $3500... and it will still be a toyota
Originally posted by cakennedy:
I ordered my 330ci two weeks ago after test-driving both. There's a saying in the BMW community, whenever anyone is undecided between the two brands: Drive them both. If you can't tell the difference, buy the Lexus.

I first drove the IS300 at the Lexus Performance Tour at Golden Gate Fields, and was somewhat impressed, but when I drove the BMW I was blown away. Better handling, steering, shifter (5 speed manual!), brakes, and of course much better accelleration. The price difference between my 330ci and a fully loaded IS300 is about $3500, and worth every penny.

That's not to say the IS300 is a bad car in any way, I just think it's more appropriate to compare it to a 325i, last year's 323i, or even an E36 3-series sedan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Originally posted by MaxOwner:
why not just get the IS.. feel like your driving or beemer and go in style?
If so, then I must get the Yellow paint job. Would it be considered Rice if I popped off the Lexus logo and put a BWM logo instead? Just kidding!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finally ... an honest thread on this board. I've been browsing around for a little while and all I saw was a hell of a lot of zealotry and short tempers.

I've been hoping to buy a BMW for a long time and I think it might happen with the E46 M3 if my year-end bonus comes in through ok (heh), but I consider the 330ci a reasonable alternative. I don't think the IS300 is a competitor for what I'm interested in until they either put in a lot more power in the engine to justify the auto tranny or they mate it with a 6-speed.

I think the IS300 has a great place in the market as a "poor-man's BMW," but it's no substitute for the BMW on the track.

Cakennedy -- does this mean you'll be leaving the H-A camp?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don't forget the $3500 in suspension work.. I think I would also change the tail lights.. because then it would be rice too
Originally posted by VBGOD:
If so, then I must get the Yellow paint job. Would it be considered Rice if I popped off the Lexus logo and put a BWM logo instead? Just kidding!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
send apc a letter.. they might think about it..
http://www.4apc.net

Originally</A> posted by cakennedy:
Does anybody know if there is a BMW-style taillight conversion for the IS300? Thanks

[This message has been edited by MaxOwner (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by chazzy:
Cakennedy -- does this mean you'll be leaving the H-A camp?
Yes it does! Free tip to all potential IS/3-series buyers: Don't get an Acura TL! I've had nothing but problems with mine. After 14 months and 11 times in the shop, it's getting traded for my 330ci.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Are you ****ting me?

Originally posted by cakennedy:
Does anybody know if there is a BMW-style taillight conversion for the IS300? Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Acceleration: the 330ci does low 6 secs 0 - 60 .. the IS low 7 secs
Comparing a manual to an automatic, that makes sense.

Handling: the IS has great oversteer and doesn't seem stable at 100 mph speeds.. the 330 .. c'mon nothing beats a beemer's 50/50 weight ratio
Every review I've read has stated that the IS has mild understeer. Don't know where you're getting the oversteer from.

For me, I test drove both a BMW 328i and the IS. I couldn't tell a difference in the way either handled, so I went with the IS instead.

--k

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
I bought an IS over BMW 330 because way too many people drive BMW's. Where I live, every other car's a BMW- be different for once it's not like you're gonna be racing people on the way to work.

[This message has been edited by PMD911 (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by PMD911:
I bought an IS over BMW 330 because way too many people drive BMW's. Where I live, every other car's a BMW- be different for once it's not like you're gonna be racing people on the way to work.
Never on the way to work, but occasionally on the back roads (racing in traffic is _bad_, but racing on semi-deserted mountain roads is another thing) and twice a month at the track.

By the way, if you think you're "different" by virtue of the kind of car you drive, you've already lost the battle. BE different, don't focus on LOOKING different.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts