Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got a 2001 300i coupe and tonight was the first night i got to race him. We only got 2 lights but both i won. The first one I got a better launch and i had him by about a car length.....the second race we got about even starts and i had him by about 3 feet the whole time and it never changed all the way up to 70. This was an automatic, but its good to know that our competition isnt better than us when it comes to performance.

·
Registered
541 Posts
A question...did your friend have his 330i in normal automatic mode, in sport automatic mode, or in steptronic mode? The normal automatic mode can be slow as both throttle response and shifting aren't optimal. Also, a car still in break-in isn't going to be be as fast as it'll be after break-in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You know. I find this really funny when I read all these 330 auto kill stories. I can understand for manual, maybe the other guy can't drive well. BUt simply speaking I own an is300 myself and my brother drives a 330. We have raced off the line NUMEROUS times and vice versa with me and his car and him and mine. The 330 I believe is noticeable faster although I still believe that the IS300 has the upper hand in handling as the BMW feels a tad tankish. I have taken both cars on the circuit track too as well. Oh well, good job if you did beat the 330 anyhow.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not trying to tell you that auto 330's are slow or anything of that nature. Im telling you that we raced off of a light 2 times and I won both times. Thats ALL i said. You can make what you want of it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by DarkzIS300:
Im not trying to tell you that auto 330's are slow or anything of that nature. Im telling you that we raced off of a light 2 times and I won both times. Thats ALL i said. You can make what you want of it.
It's the details that matter. For instance, was he going in reverse?

By the way, I've got video of my 330i passing a Ferrari at the tracetrack. (Let's forget the "detail" about the Ferrari having mechanical problems.)

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: Young ]

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Young I understand you own a 330i and your wondering how could your precious car possible lose to an IS300. Well it did and dont ask me how. Lemme break it down in moron language for you. We stopped at a red light (with me so far?) and we both knew we wanted to race. As the light turned green we both floored it and the first race I got almost a full car length on him and the second race I got about 3 feet. What the hell else do you want to know? Thats what happened, comprende?

·
Registered
541 Posts
DarkzIS300, I asked a simple question above, and I'm now wondering why you're so reluctant to answer it? Which shift mode did your friend have his car in? You can easily answer it by asking your friend. Aren't you curious?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He used the sport auto mode. Sorry for not answering...I was too caught up in the fact that I MUST be lying because no IS300 can beat a 330!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
[QB]This seems strange from someone who bought an auto IS300.
Get to the track people!

Someone who bought an auto simply for the exterior looks and then realizing his mistake proceded to sell it after only a month for a manual you mean?

·
Registered
541 Posts
DarkzIS300,
Thanks for the answer. I'm surprised, but I'm not concerned. As ckolsen says, what matters the most is how fast the cars get around a racetrack. And when it comes to "racing" at the track...it's largely the drivers, not the cars. I've beaten M5s, SVT Cobra Mustangs, Z06 Corvettes, and even Vipers in corners AND straightaways simply because the drivers were afraid to put their foot into it.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Young, I understand your "racer x" when it comes to the track beating Z06's and all, but what dont you understand about straight off of a street light? We werent at a track, but on the the street. If you'de like I can have a friend video camera a race that I have with my friends 330 off of a light just so you'll start believing that your car can lose to an IS300 on a straight away.

·
Registered
541 Posts
With the right mods an IS300 can beat a stock 330i (I think Black_IS300's car is just as fast as my 330i if not faster in a straight line), but it's hard to believe that just an exhaust will make up a .5s 0-60 difference. As for videos of drag races...they don't prove a thing do they? It could be your friend is not a very good or aggressive driver. Come out to the track and post some lap times in your car and then I'll be impressed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts