Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on a 4 lane (2 each way) back road today in Western Jersey and happened to run into a guy in 325 and also a new C320. We started to dart up the road. Very curvy road with fresh paving. We ran for about 7 miles. The Bimmer and I left the Benz gasping after about 1.5 miles. It was such a blast, as this was the first time I kind of opened my IS up. I am approaching 800 miles so I figured it was OK. We kept are speed below 80mph (Speed Limit was 55), but really kept it up in the curves. After we slowed up, I pulled over to get a bite to eat and the guy in the BMW pulled over also. He said that he keeps hearing good things about the IS, and he loved the car. it was the first time I heard a BMW owner say good possitive things about a Lexus. He couldn't believe that he did not shake me, and that I actually passed him by.
While I do not condone street racing, I have to admit I had a blast and I felt in total control of the IS.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
That's great but the Benz will take you if it's past the break in period. And Merc has ALWAYS had industry leading midrange power. Didn't mean to be negative, just informative for the next time you see one when the guy doesn't have stagefright or a new 320 you'll be ready.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
That's great but the Benz will take you if it's past the break in period. And Merc has ALWAYS had industry leading midrange power. Didn't mean to be negative, just informative for the next time you see one when the guy doesn't have stagefright or a new 320 you'll be ready.
Negative!!

BTW,
New MB C320 MotorWeek RoadTest Video Footage coming Soon to site.

Also, BMW X5 RoadTest Footage......

Next week, Acura's New SUV, and the New 911 Turbo Carrera...

------------------
JUSTIN & DENISE C. OWNERS OF THE ONE-OF-A-KIND IS300

·
Registered
226 Posts
JAWS' IS300 at 800 miles is not past it's break in period either.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Okay guys, you really think Mercedes has changed its stripes and all of a sudden decided to overestimate their performance figures? High sixes to sixty. We_are_talking about the 3.2, correct? Okay, well then you can forget taking it out in either the quarter or sixty. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
oh great here we go "lexus is the best" crap again.......the is300 is coo, but again i say its not a perfromance machine

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Clam, I gotta agree with you about some of the posts. I mean, come on, there is no shame in the IS overall package, in fact, I think it's the best. But let's not blow smoke about it taking out a C320 to sixty or midrange if the IS is an auto. Although, I have a sneaking feeling the IS can do much better head to head midrange than it is given credit by the doubters and haters.

Originally posted by mrclam:
oh great here we go "lexus is the best" crap again.......the is300 is coo, but again i say its not a perfromance machine

[This message has been edited by brad (edited November 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i dont' know. i'm sure it has good midrange power, buti don't know if that's enough to take out comapnies who've been doing this for forever. after driving the IS, i have to disagree with many owners about its handling. it's decent for a daily driver but for a perfromance car well yeah...i prefer the 3series w/sport package. and to jaws, its not that the IS doesn't ahve nice stuff, its that th competition does too.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
he said they ran for 7 miles, keeping under 80 with the benz falling abck after the first 1 and a half miles, meaning the benzo mightve turned off and keeping it under 80 isnt really racing, it was more of a fun run, keeping up without trying to beat him staying wit him in the curves and having fun. he said he passed the guy in the bimmer, which could happen if the guy let off in the turn or thought he saw some 50, it was clearly not a race and they were not jockeying for position, and were being good sports and not trying to be jackasses and passing didnt mean winning. he didnt say the IS was the best and just commented on how much control he felt from the IS. why is everyone looking to fight or discredit, this post was clearly about having fun and not all about winning as it could hardly be called a race since they kept it under 80 and didn't stoplight drag. if everyone i ran or played around with was cool enough to be respectful of other ppls cars and not total pricks anal about winning- then the race scene would be so much better and more about fun and not about worrying about beating someone and they might shoot you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Brad,

Do you have any impartial evidence to support your claim that the C320 does 0-60 in the high sixes? According to the November issue of Car & Driver, the C320 Sport does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you DonCorleone!!! The post was made just to say that I really enjoyed the fun run. The IS300 handled great and it was responsive with E-Shift as we were taking the twisties. I did not say it was better than either of the other cars. That is a totally subjective call. All are great cars. BTW, C320 only comes auto as well, and honestly, do you think a non-AMG Benz is sporty? Drive it and then give your opinion. I have, and its not. The BMW was also steptronic. I would guarantee that the IS was the quickest in this group!!!
Also, the Benz didn't turn off, I think he got nervous because as I pulled off he passed by like 30 sec. later.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i test drove the new c-class with the sport package and i thought it was as tight as if not tighter than the is300's. it might not look that way but i wouldn't discount the MB. you have to factor driver into this sitaution heavily because most MB drivers are not exactly hyperaggressive.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Don't forget also that driver skills plays a very important role in overall performance of the vehicle too (except for straight line acceleration with automatic.......For manual tranny, skill is everything when performance figures are within 0.5 sec)

My 2 cents.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
mrclam, check the facts before you write! Motor Trend 9/2000 shows the IS beating the 328i sport in braking, skidpad, and slalom. Sure it was slower than the BMW but only becasue the BMW was a manual and was lighter.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
No. I only read this information from Mercedes worldwide website and also read it in another publication that I cannot remember if it was an estimate or test. I believe it was an estimate. I have never ever ever ever ever seen a Mercedes performance claim overestimated. Why would they start now? I have no idea how Car and Driver could get a 7.5 out of this 3.2 when the C 230 kompressor does 7.5 with a good amount less horsepower and torque. Answers anyone? No way this car is that slow. NO WAY.
Originally posted by viggen:

Brad,

Do you have any impartial evidence to support your claim that the C320 does 0-60 in the high sixes? According to the November issue of Car & Driver, the C320 Sport does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I'd pinkslip you anyday if I drove a C320 to sixty or the quarter against your IS. And I love the IS, so don't get me wrong.

Originally posted by JAWS:
thank you DonCorleone!!! The post was made just to say that I really enjoyed the fun run. The IS300 handled great and it was responsive with E-Shift as we were taking the twisties. I did not say it was better than either of the other cars. That is a totally subjective call. All are great cars. BTW, C320 only comes auto as well, and honestly, do you think a non-AMG Benz is sporty? Drive it and then give your opinion. I have, and its not. The BMW was also steptronic. I would guarantee that the IS was the quickest in this group!!!
Also, the Benz didn't turn off, I think he got nervous because as I pulled off he passed by like 30 sec. later.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No way this car is that slow. NO WAY.
I think you should consider the gearing of the C320. Even though the C320 has a 5-speed auto, it is geared to accelerate using only 4 ratios and cruises in overdrive. The electronically limited top speed of 135mph is reached in its 4th gear (!) Its saving grace is that its engine is the torquiest of the lot, but there's still that wide gearing to overcome. Also keep in mind that a realistically spec'ed C320 is about a hundred pounds heavier than a realistically spec'ed IS300, and from 200 to 300 pounds heavier than a realistically spec'ed 328i.

With these facts in mind, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the C320 was "only" as fast as the IS300.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Excellent technical points as usual. It's nice to shed some science on these posts. I still stick to my original claim that Merc *never* overestimates their performance claims.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I just read Motortrend's article on the C320, and the original claim for the C320's 0-60 time was 7.8 second. I don't know why they are claiming the lower number right now, but if you compare what Car and Driver got to the one originally posted by the Motortrend, then MB is being conservative.
BTW, I think the same argument can be used with IS300 as well.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
You mean 6.8?

Originally posted by Daniel:
I just read Motortrend's article on the C320, and the original claim for the C320's 0-60 time was 7.8 second. I don't know why they are claiming the lower number right now, but if you compare what Car and Driver got to the one originally posted by the Motortrend, then MB is being conservative.
BTW, I think the same argument can be used with IS300 as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts