Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyways as many of you may know, I recieved my car back from the bodyshop about 3 weeks ago. I had rear flares done, but unfortunately the way it was actually form, they suck ass. I rub like crazy, when I say crazy I mean at every little dip, hard acceleration, and on and off ramp cornering. My tires has literally rubbed off all the excess body filler in the inner well. At this point I don't know what to do. I took off the 25mm spacers, now the whole car looks ugly because it actually looks like I got wider wheels in the front then the rears. I pretty much have a 23mm lip which can't be grinded or cut off by any means, so you can say I am screwed. I was so dissappointed after seeing how ugly the car turned out with the rear spacers off that I had one chance to totally crashed and was about to take it (an idiot decided to play chicken and drive on the wrong side of the road, and didnt realize down the road there was a median barrier.

Any suggestion on what to do?

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JKSlexus said:
post up some pics, or send post a link, sorry to hear about this

I surely will wen I have a chance tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
take it back and see if they wont fix it for you (esp if they promised to make it fit right, which means wheels and all) if they wont fix it for free, see if you can't get them to work out a deal to make you happy.

worse case scenario is to pay to have it redone correctly, elsewhere.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lowell? Cant you just leave that shit on the street overnight? It will be GONE...... if that doesnt work, go have lunch in lawrence....by the time you finish your taco, your problems will be solved.....

Where are you at in lowell? I'm in manchester, but I went to UML.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DonCorleone said:
take it back and see if they wont fix it for you (esp if they promised to make it fit right, which means wheels and all) if they wont fix it for free, see if you can't get them to work out a deal to make you happy.

worse case scenario is to pay to have it redone correctly, elsewhere.

I hope they are willing to work something out because ever since I got the car back there has been many problems with the end result of the work. At this moment I don't wanna disclose all the other problems. I am actually heading out to them right now, and this would be their 3rd time trying to fix some of my complaints. I've been going to this guy for about 3-4 years now, not just my car, but families cars and ever since the owner stop doing the work and have immigrants working for him, his quality of work has down to the pit.

These flares has literally almost killed me and took a chunk out of my pocket. When through a very good size dip on the highway the tires got cut by the excess metal. (Mich PS2 275/35/18 = $356.00)

I snapped some shots this morning:
w/o out the wheels spaced out-

w/ wheels spaced out 25mm

98mkiv Lowell? Cant you just leave that shit on the street overnight? It will be GONE...... if that doesnt work said:
Hahah I've thought about it, believe me. I actually live in Dracut.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Honestly the wheel with the 25mm spacer is too far out. you should bring it in slightly. that front side profile view just doesn't look right with the rim/tire sticking so far out?

Good luck with the repairs and may I add from the few pics we are seeing the car is looking tight!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AntzLexusIS said:
Honestly the wheel with the 25mm spacer is too far out. you should bring it in slightly. that front side profile view just doesn't look right with the rim/tire sticking so far out?

Good luck with the repairs and may I add from the few pics we are seeing the car is looking tight!!!!

Yea I see what you're saying about the spacing of the wheel, but then again I had everything the wheels and spacers there for the guy to make sure everything fits right. It's going to be hard to find a 23mm spacer.

The car looks nice but it just looks like I got wider wheels on the front then the rear because the front wheels come out to the fender. The rear wheels is in 28mm from the lip of the flares.

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey man if you come to my place, bring the spacers, maybe I can have my machinist at work take off a few mm..... or send me a picture of the spacer and I will see if it can be done.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
In the 2nd pic, the rear wheel is sticking out way too far, no wonder you rub.

I think you need to bring in the spacer about 10mm, maybe more.

can't find the right spacer? 2 words: Machine Shop. They can shave down the spacer to whatever size you need.

You brought the guy the wheels and the spacers and he made the flares? Well, he was off a little in his measurements. Rather than having him redo it, I'd go with a smaller spacer.

BTW, car looks pretty good from what we have seen so far. I'd like to see the whole car. Looks like you have a lot of work done on it, so post some more pics of it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The car looks nice but it just looks like I got wider wheels on the front then the rear because the front wheels come out to the fender. The rear wheels is in 28mm from the lip of the flares.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly from the looks of it all you need to do is get the rear tire right under the flare. You will still have the rear rim stick out farther than the front. I would have a machine shop cut the spacers you currently have. What offset are your running for your rims.?

Also you have a side shots? Actually we all want to see more pics because the car is looking the hotness....

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Most flares dont allow that much of a bigger wheel, unless done right.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
no offense, but thats really not that safe to drive with such a huge spacer like that on the back with a RWD car.....thats what wheel shops have warned me about even using a 5mm spacer....

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
i dont like spacers either.

anyway not to use it?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts