Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys,

My Volk GT-N's cracked randomly a couple months (old thread) ago and I would like to somehow resurrect them or do something so at least they're not a complete waste. I was asking around and supposedly you're not able to repair faces of wheels, which is a bummer.

3 of 4 wheels with cracked spokes. 1 with 4 cracked spokes and 2 with 1 spoke cracked on each.

I'm down to swap faces, but I'd have to find the same ones that are the same size/bolt pattern. The barrels are fine, no bends in them.

I'll welcome any and all suggestions, prices for sale the way it sits, repair shops, etc. Someone, please!

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Maybe they can help you out?

if not the manufacturer..at least try to contact Mackin about the cracks, maybe they know of some warranty on the spokes that the rest of us don't.

sucks to see a nice set of Volks ruined by cracks.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Wow...would have never suspected volks to do that. Definitely a manufacturing defect of some sort.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
were these wheels orginally gold in color? or did you have them altered? meaning color changed, powdercoated and rebaked??

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called Mackin and they won't warranty them because the wheels have been painted.

They were painted with automotive paint and cleared.

It's all been regular driving, no pot holes. They were painted by a wheel repair shop that has done many many wheels and never had this problem. So, I'm not sure who to blame.

Please someone! I need an idea, a shop, an offer, some spare faces, something!

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
do you know if the wheel repair shop baked the wheels after painting them?
if they took it apart, maybe they over torque the screws holding the faces in?

I remember reading somewhere that the wheels lose it's strenght if they have been rebaked.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you know if the wheel repair shop baked the wheels after painting them?
if they took it apart, maybe they over torque the screws holding the faces in?

I remember reading somewhere that the wheels lose it's strenght if they have been rebaked.
Perhaps, I had them powder coated, I didn't like the color, so they sand blasted them and painted them gold.

What do you think?

·
Registered
68 Posts
if you haven't already, i would take them off the car right away. yikes!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you haven't already, i would take them off the car right away. yikes!
Yeah, they've been off for the past couple of months, and it makes me sad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts