Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here we go...I am about 2 months away from the final decision to get the IS. I went last week to Countyline Lexus in North Miami. I drove an Absolute Red w/Beige Leather (5Spd). I really like the way the car looks/drives/sounds, etc.
My only problem is, I always hear you guys saying that the car needs "MORE POWER"......
I know this is a bad comparison, but when I got my Jetta 1.8T, I felt it was "Peppy", however, after a few months, it felt like I was pulling a boat (no real power!!!) all the time....I guess it was much slower than a lot of other cars out there.
What I'm saying is that I don't want to lose all respect for the car in the power department if I have to Mod the hell out of it in order for it to perform well.
I'm not going to go ridiculous with the mods in the first place (Intake/Exh suspension & wheels).

Any help would be great.....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Ralidog said:
Ok guys, here we go...I am about 2 months away from the final decision to get the IS. I went last week to Countyline Lexus in North Miami. I drove an Absolute Red w/Beige Leather (5Spd). I really like the way the car looks/drives/sounds, etc.
My only problem is, I always hear you guys saying that the car needs "MORE POWER"......
I know this is a bad comparison, but when I got my Jetta 1.8T, I felt it was "Peppy", however, after a few months, it felt like I was pulling a boat (no real power!!!) all the time....I guess it was much slower than a lot of other cars out there.
What I'm saying is that I don't want to lose all respect for the car in the power department if I have to Mod the hell out of it in order for it to perform well.
I'm not going to go ridiculous with the mods in the first place (Intake/Exh suspension & wheels).

Any help would be great.....
what help are you looking for???

The car has 200 hp - it's not the fastest thing out there.
It's a good comffy ride that doesn't break down and can be made fast with a turbo or a supercharger or maybe even some nitrous. That's it.

If power matters to your THAT much - go buy a camaro or a mustang and then strip it and add some power adders. You'll save some money that way. Any car can make "power' - it's cheaper to do on certain cars while others take some more money to do that.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Power freaks are all part of the rat race man...

we're not talking about a 1.8T leaving you wishing for more, these guys are talking about power for "Racing"...

for some reason, most of the asshats int his forum think that they won't get laid or that they aren't a man if a car passes them. Its a common problem not limited to this forum, but you get my point...

The IS300 has plenty of power, more than enough to make you feel like king of the road, pass whatever you want, and to make it a fun drving experience. No, its not a g35 or a M3 but its still powerfull.

As far as mods, you won't feel that big of a difference by going w/ an intke/exhaust mod... there will be a small difference, but I hardly think it excuses the cost penalty. If I were you I'd drop the $ on suspention tweaks... I have an intake (on my 2nd one now, first was the Area51 w/ the BlackBox and now the PLP Silent Flow) and an exhaust and the poer gains are really slim. I mean like 10-12whp, costing several hundred bucks.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My plan is to enjoy the amount of power this car has now, then go for a Turbo in a few years, it will have more power than I could ever possibly want :wink:

·
Registered
305 Posts
You're looking at a 5 spd, so don't worry, you'll have the control over the power, which to me makes it feel faster than the auto. I'm susprised sometimes on the highway by just how good a downshift can give a nice blast of power for passing. Trust your own test drives and if you still have more questions, go back for a longer drive to make sure it's right for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts