Lexus IS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2002 is300
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I got a 2.5 inch exhaust right now Meagan racing catback. you can definitely hearing it coming but once the car warms up its not as loud as I would like it. If I just have the radio on I can't really hear it at all. Would like it to be louder but mostly on the deep side. Would switching out the midpipe make any difference. And also when you do turbo it what should be added for as less rasp and as deep as possible?
So your resonator controls the pitch ad drone and a little bit of noise and your muffler reduces and sets the loudness of your exhaust. The metal you use can also play a factor. Deleting your cat in the mid pipe will add rasp and drone. To really get that loud sound at wot and quiet cruising you'll have to change out your muffler and resonator.

·
5,555 Posts
I got a 2.5 inch exhaust right now Meagan racing catback. you can definitely hearing it coming but once the car warms up its not as loud as I would like it. If I just have the radio on I can't really hear it at all. Would like it to be louder but mostly on the deep side. Would switching out the midpipe make any difference. And also when you do turbo it what should be added for as less rasp and as deep as possible?
If you are still running cats. That is why it is not loud. If you go to a non catted y pipe. Yes it will get louder. The Megan y pipe is only 2.25 diameter. Shade12Fab on Facebook makes a 2.5 that is nice.

·
5,555 Posts
So your resonator controls the pitch ad drone and a little bit of noise and your muffler reduces and sets the loudness of your exhaust. The metal you use can also play a factor. Deleting your cat in the mid pipe will add rasp and drone. To really get that loud sound at wot and quiet cruising you'll have to change out your muffler and resonator.
That member is running a Megan Racing cat-back.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
I get some drone on the highway but I kind of like some drone. Makes it feel like I'm racing. lol I did hear the resonator makes the tone deeper but I've also heard conflicting information that it can take away power a couple say it does a couple say it don't and they both work on turbos for these cars so i don't know. The car sounds great at WOT throttle the issue is for me is I can't hear as much as I would like at cruising and at idle. I did hear that lexus cars are more insulated than most so that could be part of it. I'm happy with the tone I have no rasp whatsoever I just want it a bit louder while maintaining its deepness. My buddy had an is300 and it sounded beast but he crashed and sold it before I could look at his exhaust set up. I read it was custom made so I'll never know what he had.

If you are still running cats. That is why it is not loud. If you go to a non catted y pipe. Yes it will get louder. The Megan y pipe is only 2.25 diameter. Shade12Fab on Facebook makes a 2.5 that is nice.
Well sadly I got to run cats for at least another 8 more years for emissions testing or until I move out of the area whichever comes first. I plan on selling my car and getting a 2001 to do the turbo build with. I got an 05 now I had an 01 auburn sky pearl but I totaled it sadly. I like the 01's interior better (more sportier/race car looking and no sticky dash) so I plan to buy one with a somewhat mint or fairly taken care of interior and if I can get the cloth kind that'll be even better. Plus most places after the cars 25 years old emission test aren't required so by the time I get one and build it will have phased out which means I can do more mods to it I couldn't do before.

·
Registered
2002 is300
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well sadly I got to run cats for at least another 8 more years for emissions testing or until I move out of the area whichever comes first. I plan on selling my car and getting a 2001 to do the turbo build with. I got an 05 now I had an 01 auburn sky pearl but I totaled it sadly. I like the 01's interior better (more sportier/race car looking and no sticky dash) so I plan to buy one with a somewhat mint or fairly taken care of interior and if I can get the cloth kind that'll be even better. Plus most places after the cars 25 years old emission test aren't required so by the time I get one and build it will have phased out which means I can do more mods to it I couldn't do before.
One cheap and free thing to do to hear a little more noise is tilt the sunroof up no rain inside and it doesn't get that cold and you'll hear more and get fresh air. That's what I've been doing and it makes a little difference but to make a noticeable change you could try a catless mid-pipe otherwise you'll have to cut up your Megan exhaust to change the muffler and resonator.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
One cheap and free thing to do to hear a little more noise is tilt the sunroof up no rain inside and it doesn't get that cold and you'll hear more and get fresh air. That's what I've been doing and it makes a little difference but to make a noticeable change you could try a catless mid-pipe otherwise you'll have to cut up your Megan exhaust to change the muffler and resonator.
I guess I'll have to just deal for now. lol. So mid pipe megan racing won't difference then or a free flowing cat? I'm guessing then. So it'll probably just be best to wait until I do the turbo and get a 3 inch exhaust system then to get the sound I'm happy with. If you go any bigger than 3 inches you'll start to lose low end torque though right?

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,168 Posts
I did hear that lexus cars are more insulated than most so that could be part of it.
I was actually going to say this. You've got a great sound, and everyone else can hear it (whether they want to or not), so I was thinking that maybe you could take the seats all out, remove the floor carpet, and take out all the sound deadening down there for free if you never want to sell the car. At least it could be an easy free test if you don't want to wait until you turbo. The only time I got my car actually loud (to me) was a full on 3" straightpipe with cat deletes lol.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
380 Posts
I'm no exhaust technician but I think resonators are what you want

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
I was actually going to say this. You've got a great sound, and everyone else can hear it (whether they want to or not), so I was thinking that maybe you could take the seats all out, remove the floor carpet, and take out all the sound deadening down there for free if you never want to sell the car. At least it could be an easy free test if you don't want to wait until you turbo. The only time I got my car actually loud (to me) was a full on 3" straightpipe with cat deletes lol.
Well I plan on selling this car and getting an 2001 and turboing that. Due to the fact that the interiors better plus its almost 25 years old I mostly got my 05 because it was super low miles and in mint condition so I knew it would be reliable for a long time as a DD but style wise and color wise not my first choice in is300s. I explained all that earlier but I'll keep that in mind once I start the build on the 2001. Probably going to be my third and final is300 and I plan on keeping that until death so lol. Once I'm done building the IS i'll probably get a truck too do some bpu on it and put a lift kit on it then maybe some little old commuter gas saving car like a corolla or something then I'm pretty much content after that lol.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
I'm no exhaust technician but I think resonators are what you want
Was thinking that too but I've heard conflicting info on that so idk how true that is. Plus heard conflicting info that you'll lose power due to back pressure from adding resonators. I want the sound but not at the expense of power or at least noticeable power. I do want a mean and aggressive look and sound though and then the power to back it up. I never been a fan of sleepers at all I think you should flaunt it if you got it. LOL.

·
Registered
2002 is300
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Was thinking that too but I've heard conflicting info on that so idk how true that is. Plus heard conflicting info that you'll lose power due to back pressure from adding resonators. I want the sound but not at the expense of power or at least noticeable power. I do want a mean and aggressive look and sound though and then the power to back it up. I never been a fan of sleepers at all I think you should flaunt it if you got it. LOL.
I got my exhaust stuff from vibrant performance. All their exhaust is blow through so there is nothing blocking the flow of the exhaust so no performance loss but you still get some good sound. This video is really what sold me on their stuff.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
I got my exhaust stuff from vibrant performance. All their exhaust is blow through so there is nothing blocking the flow of the exhaust so no performance loss but you still get some good sound. This video is really what sold me on their stuff.

ive seen this guy before this is before he did his turbo though right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to be bringing this up from the dead…………

2.5” single exhaust supports +/- 230hp, if stock the IS300 2JZ puts out 218hp, then the 3” should be the go to as a base exhaust. No?

A “good” cold air intake, with headers (no cats, even better!) and a 3” exhaust with a high flow straight through muffler (like Borla?) should be able to more than exceed 230 +/- hp. Why would anyone want to bottleneck the output by going 2.5”

21 - 40 of 49 Posts