Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2002 is300
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working towards turboing my car so I'm looking for a 3" catback. The only one I know of is the greddy rs but no one has them in stock. If anyone knows of any others let me know. My other options is a custom exhaust but I'm worried I wont end up liking it. This is my daily driver so not crazy loud would be good. If you have custom exhaust and would share your setup and what it sounds like that'd be great.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,288 Posts
3” piping all the way back right? Not sure of many who make that in the aftermarket world. I know ISR makes those dumb blast pipes in 3” but don’t even get me started on those.

I have always just had a custom exhaust done at a shop where I live. He still works there (over 30 years) and I had him make me a 3” cat back. I always use a vibrant flat black 3” muffler and a Vibrant 3” resonator.

·
Registered
2002 is300
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3” piping all the way back right? Not sure of many who make that in the aftermarket world. I know ISR makes those dumb blast pipes in 3” but don’t even get me started on those.

I have always just had a custom exhaust done at a shop where I live. He still works there (over 30 years) and I had him make me a 3” cat back. I always use a vibrant flat black 3” muffler and a Vibrant 3” resonator.
Do you have a sound clip?

·
Registered
2002 is300
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the 3" exhausts I ever heard of or saw were definitely not designed to be quiet lol. Just go with custom, so you can piece together stuff you know will sound like you want.
I'm not looking for OEM quiet just not murder my eardrums call the police. I get the whole piece it together thing the problem is this is my first custom exhaust so I have no clue what different mufflers will sound like on this platform. My muffler shop essentially said we'll weld it together with the parts you pick what it sounds like is completely your own fault. So I'm trying to see what other people have done.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you aren't turbo yet, don't do it....you'll power some power for having too big of an exhaust on it. Likely you'll have it made but an exhaust shop. I have a full 3in from turbo back with a HKS Hi power muffler, no cats and no resonator. It's loud when the exhaust warms up and driving on the freeway but it has a deeper tone so that's nice. It's quiet at idle though :). I suggest getting a muffler so it's not ridiculous annoying all the time.

·
Registered
2002 is300
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you aren't turbo yet, don't do it....you'll power some power for having too big of an exhaust on it. Likely you'll have it made but an exhaust shop. I have a full 3in from turbo back with a HKS Hi power muffler, no cats and no resonator. It's loud when the exhaust warms up and driving on the freeway but it has a deeper tone so that's nice. It's quiet at idle though :). I suggest getting a muffler so it's not ridiculous annoying all the time.
I was recommended a big cherry bomb then a muffler I was thinking of a muffler and a resonator combo like ill_mannere.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you aren't turbo yet, don't do it....you'll power some power for having too big of an exhaust on it.
I've not seen any 2JZ-GE data that supports or refutes this claim, but I've seen lots of data on various other engines that refutes it. It's on a case-by-case basis that depends on induction and header resonance as well as cam timing. There is no rule of thumb that I'm aware of. If there is 2JZ specific data, can you point us towards it?

Likely you'll have it made but an exhaust shop. I have a full 3in from turbo back with a HKS Hi power muffler, no cats and no resonator. It's loud when the exhaust warms up and driving on the freeway but it has a deeper tone so that's nice. It's quiet at idle though :). I suggest getting a muffler so it's not ridiculous annoying all the time.
My turbo IS has a full 3" exhaust from turbo back. No catalyst. There is a magnaflow resonator, and a HKS hi-power muffler with a big fart-can tip on it. It isn't loud at all. I mean, louder than stock, but not "loud". Mind you, I'm 41 and well past my loud pipes phase of life. Even the woman doesn't think it's "loud".

I bought the car with the system already installed so I don't know where it came from, but the quality and construction looks like a real company made it; not some random exhaust shop - and then somebody spliced the resonator in later.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've not seen any 2JZ-GE data that supports or refutes this claim, but I've seen lots of data on various other engines that refutes it. It's on a case-by-case basis that depends on induction and header resonance as well as cam timing. There is no rule of thumb that I'm aware of. If there is 2JZ specific data, can you point us towards it?

My turbo IS has a full 3" exhaust from turbo back. No catalyst. There is a magnaflow resonator, and a HKS hi-power muffler with a big fart-can tip on it. It isn't loud at all. I mean, louder than stock, but not "loud". Mind you, I'm 41 and well past my loud pipes phase of life. Even the woman doesn't think it's "loud".

I bought the car with the system already installed so I don't know where it came from, but the quality and construction looks like a real company made it; not some random exhaust shop - and then somebody spliced the resonator in later.

I think my mind is running faster than my typing...what I meant was that you'll lose some power in low end...but gain some on top end..but on a GE...the power is so small that it isn't much....it because more of a sound thing than power at that point.

I have no resonator on mine and it's loud to me. It's not unbearable loud but you can definitely hear it when you barely get on the gas in cabin. I don't know how it is outside because I never drove behind my car.

·
5,562 Posts
N/A 2.5 is ideal. If you are going turbo then 3.. If you have cats. It will be fairly quiet. No cats gets noisy. Specially on 3 inch. No mater the muffler.I have a couple of cars with Greddy SP systems in non turbo for now and no cats. They are fairly noisy idle and specially at high rpm. Did not see power changes from 2.5 to 3 in N/A.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
380 Posts
When I was NA I had ebay headers with the megan y pipe into a 3" straight pipe to a GReddy muffler and it actually sounded surprisingly nice. Sounds even better with a secondary muffler (turbo).

·
Registered
2002 is300
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
380 Posts
Those vibrant parts should sound very nice, I'd cut out as much stock stuff as possible if it were up to me, so probably right after the stock Y pipe.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
N/A 2.5 is ideal. If you are going turbo then 3.. If you have cats. It will be fairly quiet. No cats gets noisy. Specially on 3 inch. No mater the muffler.I have a couple of cars with Greddy SP systems in non turbo for now and no cats. They are fairly noisy idle and specially at high rpm. Did not see power changes from 2.5 to 3 in N/A.
I got a 2.5 inch exhaust right now Meagan racing catback. you can definitely hearing it coming but once the car warms up its not as loud as I would like it. If I just have the radio on I can't really hear it at all. Would like it to be louder but mostly on the deep side. Would switching out the midpipe make any difference. And also when you do turbo it what should be added for as less rasp and as deep as possible?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts