Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cbs2.com - 3 Arrested, 20 Cars Seized In Street Racing Bust

3 Arrested, 20 Cars Seized In Street Racing Bust

RIVERSIDE, Calif. Three people were arrested, 100 citations issued and 20 cars were impounded after more than 150 street racers were corralled early Saturday morning by nearly 100 police officers at a shopping center near Moreno Valley.

Police checked the more than 150 cars and impounded 20 of them, Riverside police spokesman Steven Frasher said in a statement. One of the impounded cars had a stolen engine and transmission, while another 14 had altered engines or identification information.

The citations issued were for vehicle code violations. Another 48 citations were issued for illegal engine modifications common in street racing.

Racers had been tearing up the streets for the past several Friday nights at Canyon Crossing, 6187 Valley Springs Parkway, Frasher said. The shopping center is within the Riverside city limits next to Moreno Valley. The crackdown was conducted by a multi-agency task force.

One arrest was for speed exhibition, one for resisting arrest and the third for being drunk in public.

"We want to send a powerful message that street racing will not be tolerated," Riverside police Sgt. Skip Showalter said in a release.

Credit: KCBS 2 LA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats actually our old spot...after all the hondas got there it went to hell...
We had Ferraris and vipers shown up... But stupid idiots kept on wantin to act stupid in the parkin lot.. got the attention of cops..and then they got what they deserved...

Well we're tryn to start it up again but only with serious "CAR Enthusiast" Not Ricers...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
god dammit! thats next to ucr where i go, and that film that i watched is hooters and that parking lot IS HUGE!! i mean.. seriously you can race there... but damn for now my car is going to sit in my garage!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That sucks.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
A related update

As reported in theNewspaper.com:

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue
Police raid Riverside, California parking lot to issue modified car tickets at local car enthusiast gathering.

Using $503,000 in federal and state gas tax revenue to pay for overtime, nine police agencies in Riverside, California sent more than one hundred police officers to surround a gathering of automotive enthusiasts. Owners of imported sport compact cars had gathered at the Canyon Crossing shopping center on Friday night to swap stories, talk about their passion for cars and show off the latest enhancements to their rides. At around 11pm police surprised participants by blocking all exits with fifty police cruisers. Officers then began a warrantless search and interrogation operation of the 150 vehicles that were present.

"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year. "Why would you want more power going to your car?"

Police issued a total of forty-eight tickets for "engine modifications" with police accusing the owners of the parked vehicles of being street racers. Another fifty tickets were issued for paperwork violations, dark window tinting and lack of a front license plate. The most revenue, however, will be generated from the fees imposed on twenty vehicles that were confiscated. Despite labeling the parking lot raid as taking place at a "street racing venue," Riverside Police offered no evidence that any street racing actually took place.

Across the state, gas tax funds are regularly used to fund similar crackdowns that generate big revenue. In 2004, the California Highway Patrol issued a total of 101,553 "modified car" citations worth $10.5 million according to CHP data obtained by TheNewspaper.

Other law enforcement agencies participating in Friday night's raid included the California Highway Patrol, Riverside County Sheriff's Department, and police from Baldwin Park, Fontana, Irwindale, Moreno Valley, Ontario and Mount San Jacinto Community College.

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

And here's the Autoblog story commenting on the above:

Police raid California car enthusiast gathering to generate revenue
by Merritt Johnson

It isn't uncommon for automotive enthusiast groups to organize gatherings in large commercial parking lots. Quite often the local businesses even support the groups due to increased sales generated by the crowds. Such is apparently not the case in Riverside, California. The city believes large automotive-focused get togethers promote street racing and that must also be the purpose of any vehicle equipped with performance modifications. To quell the situation, last Friday night around 11PM, police surprised 150 vehicles and their owners during a meet at Canyon Crossing shopping center. Fifty police cruisers from Riverside County, Irwindale, Ontario and a few other regions were paid overtime to block off parking lot exits and issue citations. Tickets were written for illegal modifications, paperwork violations, window tint and having no front license plate. Twenty vehicles were even impounded due to suspected stolen parts.

The funds for the crackdown, and others like it, get drained from the California state gas tax account. Typically the gas tax goes towards transportation maintenance and improvements, like better roads and public transport. Rather than put all the money into aiding traffic flow, California's math calculations have determined that more revenue can be generated by handing out fix-it tickets with increased frequency. Of course, that is as long as the violation fares are more than law enforcement overtime expenses. Even still, most likely a few folks will fight their citations and thus drain more funds from the state government through the legislative process.

Police raid California car enthusiast gathering to generate revenue - Autoblog

Reactions: vroomRollLEX

·
Registered
703 Posts
this statement is just narrow minded...
"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year. "Why would you want more power going to your car?"

thats like asking a Porsche, Corvette, or Ferrari owner why you buy the car if your not allowed to go fast.

·
Registered
163 Posts
thats similar to what happen to me about 5 months ago in artesia, for the monday night meet. they have nothing better to do. but the ricers were the ones that mest em up with their lound 4 banger hondas.

·
Registered
703 Posts
nice find.. i like how everyone is categorized as racing or are intending to race.. although the sup'd up mustang is let go cause he's stock.. uh sure. he's stock:p it's just more tastefully done in comparison to the black front ended EG honda.

I wonder if simply locking your car and walking away was an option?
i was thinkin the same thing. go in to the local restaurant and wait it out. or would they just assume abandoned and tow?
things that make you go hrmmmmm :confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
nice find.. i like how everyone is categorized as racing or are intending to race.. although the sup'd up mustang is let go cause he's stock.. uh sure. he's stock:p it's just more tastefully done in comparison to the black front ended EG honda.

i was thinkin the same thing. go in to the local restaurant and wait it out. or would they just assume abandoned and tow?
things that make you go hrmmmmm :confused:
If the restaurant is open and you are a paying customer, i dont think there is any legal grounds to assume abandoned and for them to tow it. If they did, that's just a gross abuse of power. That would mean the police have the ability to tow any car they see fit and tear it down to look for infractions. Illegal seizure of property anybody?

·
Registered
620 Posts
If the restaurant is open and you are a paying customer, i dont think there is any legal grounds to assume abandoned and for them to tow it. If they did, that's just a gross abuse of power. That would mean the police have the ability to tow any car they see fit and tear it down to look for infractions. Illegal seizure of property anybody?
They are allowed to request for inspection if they have a probable cause. Though, usually the cops will have to call for their superiors for a warrant or other legal notices so that they may impound the vehicle for the stated reason(s).

You're right on with the abuse of power, but only when the cops actually go overboard with their power can a case really take place. Usually, the judge will dismiss the incident as "insufficient evidence of power play through illegal means on the public party". In other words, we're pretty much fucked if they just mindfuck us like this.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
lame but no doubt there was street racing going on near by... out of 100 people how many do you think were idiots? thats too many people for there not to be some people dumb.

Most IS owners are older an more mature I prefer our meets because theres no one going to get stupid an attract attention, an when police do come its apparent everyone there is polite an respectful an usually no problem.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ya there were probably people being stupid but I think the Police were very narrow minded in handleing this. Get the cars who were racing, not the enthusiest who just enjoy talking cars with other people. There were guys in that video clip that were just there to look at other cars and they got cited for it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
yea JP is right, this was the typical cops flexing the muscle and power instances, if you watch the video one of the officers says basically grab any car that fits the "discription" driving around in the area and pull them over or direct them to the traffic stop area.

this is ridiculous and a perfect example of how effed up california is. they took probably a million dollars out of our gas tax fund to give out fix it tickets? they arent stoping or preventing anything! just making people that already hate police officers dislike them more.

people learn your rights never let a police officer search your vehicle or give you a field sobriety test because they "think" youve been drinking or on drugs. you have the right to say NO so excercise that right. for alot of those kids that got tickets there wasnt probable cause to search their vehicles, it was simply stereotyping and completly ridiculous!

riverside p.d. FAIL

·
1,621 Posts
Wow... that's unbelievable... I didn't realize it has gotten that bad out there...

The laws have gotten wayy to strict to be anywhere close to reasonable!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree it cops just coming down on imports.... I have and 06 with and hks hi-flow and rims... I have been pulled over more times for having an "illegally" modded car, mostly for exhaust and tint, once for my stereo being too loud. I also have a Tundra crewmax lifted 6 inches with a 3 inch body lift on 37's with a magnaflow exhaust thats probably twice as loud and have never been pulled over for having a "modded" truck. Plus, i have have sports car and the chp have actually pulled up next to me yelling out their window to hear me open it up.. lame. Cops just don't like cars that are from japan. booo..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts