Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plastic undercarriage come off my car for the second time. I was driving on the freeway just like the first time it happened to me and then i hear a breaking sound. Look in my rear view and see a bunch of pieces of plastic flying at the car behind me.

I happened to be right by Tustin Lexus (I hate tustin lexus but I had no choice because I was literaly driving by it when it broke.)

I think Lexus knows how common this problem is now because they actually stock the parts to fix it. Last time wich was back in september they had to order it.

Maybe instead of always just replacing the part, they could find out why the dam thing always breaks and make one that works.

·
11,061 Posts
How many miles since it dumped the last one? Just curious. I'm paranoid.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I'm curious, what exactly does this part do and is it necessary? It hasn't happened to me yet, but if it does, I'm wondering if there will be harm done to my car if I just leave it off.

Mark

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by MrMark:
I'm curious, what exactly does this part do and is it necessary? It hasn't happened to me yet, but if it does, I'm wondering if there will be harm done to my car if I just leave it off.

Mark

I believe it's just a splash guard, keeps excess water from being flung up into your engine bay. Keeps the engine clean, that's about it. It probably also acts as a mild skid plate and protects from rocks/debris.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had mine replaced as a drive up as well - spent less than an hour there total. The service writer said that they have been keeping several in stock to cover (ha) the problem. Also said that Lexus is working a redesigned piece - problem had to do with mounting mechanism and air flow characteristics over the part - didn't know for sure when the replacement part would be available or how it would be implemented (as needed, general notification ...)

Terry

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know you will think I'm crazy but i took mine to the ranch bird hunting. (Didn't want to have & stop & fill up the wife's Expedition, on empty) The roads are mild, but I did run over some brush. Mine fell off a couple weeks later.

·
Registered
250 Posts
cis300 wrote :
My dealer replaced the first one free as "good will gesture", but the 2nd i'll have to pay
Wow - I have a REAL problem with this. I can't believe that a problem as prolific as this could be blamed on the owner (and thus require you to pay for it). If the dealer sticks to this one I would start making phone calls - it probably won't take many before you get their position overruled, but I would keep calling until I talked to Mr. Lexus himself (I know - but I think you get the point). Maybe by the time it happens again they will have reversed the decision on their own in an attempt to maintain their image as a Lexus dealership.

Of course, if they had to tow your car in from the woods because you got it stuck while 4 wheeling they may have a valid point.

Terry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mark
I read that a primary purpose of this part was to keep the drag coefficient down (to .29)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I looked under my Is, and there is a sh1t load of plastic underneath. Do we really need all of that? I thought about just removing it all so that I don't have to worry about this sh1t happening to me. Also, next time you guys have your car up on a lift check your driveshaft pinion seal, mine is leaking oil and will have to go to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Has anybody pointed out to Lexus the potential liability this is causing all of us owners? If you are drving down the rode and all of a sudden plastic pieces are flying off of your car and some lady with a mini van full of kids has to swerve to miss the plastic flying off of the car and goes off the road and kills herself and a bunch of kids. Can you say bend over? You will be getting sued up the wazooo.
Just a thought. Wake-up Lexus, becuase if it happens to me, your the one with the deep pockets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts