Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm repainting my roof spoiler with some 2K color-matched spray paint. I noticed that i got some imperfections, and I want to wet-sand the section smooth. Since I am stopping, how long do I need to wait before I can start painting again? The can I got doesn't mention what to do in this situation. I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm putting down some medium coats to avoid getting pin holes again. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I'm to impatient for that haha.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's paint that comes with a hardener in the can. You normally pull or push a pin at the bottom of the spray paint can to mix the hardener with the rest of the paint. According to the paint I got, I have 48 hrs to use the paint.

https://www.eastwood.com/1k-coating-vs-2k-coatings
That's pretty cool. I never knew these existed. Before I just use whatever I find in Canadian Tire. Post some result pics after!! So the paint comes with clear coat?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it comes with a hardener/activator. Check out the link in my previous post.

EDIT:
1K Coating vs. 2K Coatings
There is often confusion and misuse of terms when it comes to describing automotive coatings. Not only do some people not know the difference between 1K and 2K paints, but some people confuse single stage paints and two stage paints with 1K and 2K. Here are some brief definitions that we hope will dispel the confusion.

1K Coatings
This is a term used to describe a coating that does not require a hardener, catalyst or activator. This term can be used to describe “single-component” paints that dry in the air (whether latex house paint, or old school lacquer) and nearly all aerosol spray can paints. The 1 Shot sign painters pinstriping paint we sell is 1K enamel.

2K Coatings
This describes a coating that needs to be mixed with a hardener, catalyst or activator. Once it hardens it is much less susceptible to damage from chemicals, weather, or UV rays. 2K paints includes all of our Eastwood automotive single stage and base coat/clear coat finishes, “two-component” paints and other urethane finishes. Eastwood's 2K Aero-Spray paints combine the convenience of an aerosol and the durability of a 2K paint (the activator is in a separate compartment).
NOTE: Typically the term "catalyst" (as in epoxy catalyst) is used separately from the terms "activator" and "hardener" because a catalyst does not have isocyanates.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should talk about flash time. That is the time you must wait. If longer you will need to scuff and clean before next coat. Or wet sand and clean.
I saw the directions, but they didn't mention anything about flash or cure time between coats. The job is done. I hope it lasts a while. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Post some result pics after!! So the paint comes with clear coat?
Here are a couple pics I took while doing this.

Here's what it looka like now. I'll wet sand and polish it more in the future.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good, are you able to wet sand the paint to make the orange peel less noticeable?
That shouldn't be a problem. I gave it a couple coats of clear just so I can wet sand it without burning through the clear coat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That shouldn't be a problem. I gave it a couple coats of clear just so I can wet sand it without burning through the clear coat.
Nice. Too bad I have to order them from the states. Shipping will be too much and I am not even sure if they let it through the border now haha. Would love to see your final outcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts