Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I dont think they use a MAF sensor, i think it's a MAP sensor.
The vvti gte uses both.

MAP on the intake manifold

MAF between the airbox and turbo inlet

The non-vvti jdm gte used only MAP.

Sorry, no help on having a maf though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got one. But you make me want to try and wire it to my car haha. I have been using the stock MAF without too many issues. How would one go about wiring the Aristo MAF? I noticed the plugs are the same, but no way could it be plug and play, that would just be too easy.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
but no way could it be plug and play, that would just be too easy.
Nailed it haha. I think the person that did this mod showed that it wasn't, that you needed to re-pin it.

I guess this is due to BOV placement (or maybe un-avoidable with high boost setups)? I also think Tony the Tiger modded his IS OE MAF to function the same way, blocking the perception of flow when it is in reverse. Plastic welder?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
if so what are the pros and cons between using the gte vvti maf or the ge vvti maf?
I think the peep that brought this mod to attention here showed that the GE MAF is not designed with boost in mind, and does not have a buffer/shield/baffle to prevent "reverse flow". The GE MAF is 'blind' to the direction of flow, it just sees flow. So when you blow off, and have pressurized air actually moving backwards in the plumbing away from the intake manifold to escape out of the BOV, the GE MAF sees this as intake air and your OE ECU delivers fuel, bogging you down or stalling you out.

The GTE MAF has a design so that the element only sees the "right" direction of air travel, it cannot perceive reverse flow, it is shielded from it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think I'm going to try this since I already have the sensor. But I don't know where to find an Aristo MAF flange to weld onto my intercooler piping. I have someone who could make me one, but it would probably cost more than a pre-made one. I think some of my OE IS MAF issues are because my MAF is located close to a 90 degree bend in the intercooler piping, right after the intercooler. So I think the sharp turn might be causing extra turbulence, throwing the OE MAF off a little.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My problem is caused by what you are proposing. Do not place it in a different tube. The inner diameter must be exactly the same for the MAF to read correctly or the air velocities and flow will be completely different.

Is your setup re-circulating bov or open atmosphere? If it is open atmosphere that's your problem right there.

I think I'm going to try this since I already have the sensor. But I don't know where to find an Aristo MAF flange to weld onto my intercooler piping. I have someone who could make me one, but it would probably cost more than a pre-made one. I think some of my OE IS MAF issues are because my MAF is located close to a 90 degree bend in the intercooler piping, right after the intercooler. So I think the sharp turn might be causing extra turbulence, throwing the OE MAF off a little.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Does anyone have a link or instructions on how to re-pin wires to work with GTE MAF?
You'll prob have better luck on supra forums.

IMO there's no need to do this, you should be able to work around the reverse flow issues with intelligent MAF and BOV placement.

·
Registered
472 Posts
hmmmm

so can we use the ge vvti maf?

if so what are the pros and cons between using the gte vvti maf or the ge vvti maf?
You can't use GE maf because it has small max flow than GTE one. I think you'll have too rich conditions all time.

GTE sensor p/n 22204-46010
GE sensor p/n 22204-20010

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can't use GE maf because it has small max flow than GTE one. I think you'll have too rich conditions all time.

GTE sensor p/n 22204-46010
GE sensor p/n 22204-20010
but there are few guys here running the ge maf with there VVTI swaps.....

for those of you who are any trouble?

i plan to run a single set up with the gte vvti and i was hoping the ge maf would work ok. For those who are single and using the ge maf any troubles boosting at certain psi? i was hoping to be at 18psi daily

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a Aristo VVTI swap and am currently using the GE MAF. Only way it worked for me is because there is an airflow adjustment on the Greddy E-manage Ultimate, I had to scale it appropriately. I think normally you would scale it up because most people use 3" piping which is larger than stock, but I actually had to scale mine down even with 3" piping because it was too rich. Maybe because of the GE MAF? Interesting stuff, makes me want to make the GTE one work now.

The only trouble I have had was the fuel pegging out because the GE MAF would see too much airflow, but using the boost cut limiter which clamps the MAF voltage at whatever you want, tricking the stock ECU.

·
Registered
472 Posts
but there are few guys here running the ge maf with there VVTI swaps.....

for those of you who are any trouble?

i plan to run a single set up with the gte vvti and i was hoping the ge maf would work ok. For those who are single and using the ge maf any troubles boosting at certain psi? i was hoping to be at 18psi daily
GE maf max flow will be reached (5V) under 0.5bar boost about.
Also you need clamp map signal. I don't known right numbers in volts but you must do it so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
here's a question, I'm having problems with my IS300 using the Stock ECU, and Stock MAF, with a 2jzgte vvti swap.

I'm going to try swapping and repining the Aristo's MAF, instead of my IS300's MAF, will that work, even though am using the IS300's stock ECU?

Thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.