Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls I'm trying to build a daily drive car with a with a weekend worrier. The problem I've been having is that I want to do this w/o braking the bank. So I thought if I do a swap I'll save some duo, as anyone out there that has done this if so whats the pro and con of this swap, I've heard that with the swap I'll have a steady check engine light but I don't care about as long as the car runs right.
My car is a 2001 IS so I have a a/t :( , so with this swap I'll get a 6speed m/t

·
Registered
411 Posts
You might want to start in the Go Faster section with the search button, this subject has been covered, and FYI there is nothing cheap about doing a swap, there is alot more to it then meets the eye, go in that section and start reading.

·
Registered
516 Posts
your looking at a pretty big investment either way.
I been looking around and seen people that do the swap are in it for between 5 to 12+K and the turbo kit depends on what options you want and how much power but you probably looking around the same after tuning and everything
I believe the 6 speed is pretty expensive as well 4+K
I believe Malek has done both a bolt on kit and a complete swap so if he says anything i would listen to him and whoever has done the swap as well

I am still goin through my options on a swap or srt's kit as well ;)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
man someone creates a thread about this every day... dude just get the SRT 2.75 slap it on, and call it a day... you will go through more aggrevation and frustration with doing a swap, not to mention if you aren't doing it yourself you are going to be spending a ton of money...

and you mention this is daily driver... you will most likely run into more problems with the swap daily driving than just putting on a turbo kit.

swap = more stuff involved = more stuff prone to break or something to go wrong

kit = basically for the most part bolt on = less things to worry about = better daily driver

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea I think I might just go with the kit instead. Now my next questions is should I do it myself or just pay SRT to install? how hard is it to do the install also I might be doing a TT short block swap w all the TT internals new. Is there any shops in NYC that do these kind of work?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
A V160 will in itself "break the bank".

Auto to manual swap will cause more breakage.

And so will the short block.

You're looking at an almost 15k effort here (no joke!).

If you have to ask about the install...you will want to leave that up the professionals.

And lastly...having installed a kit and done the complete GTE swap. 90% of people should consider the kit. The other 5% will think they can handle the swap. And the last 5% are pro's.

Reactions: redline814
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.