Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I have a 2004 Lexus is300 that came with a factory w55 transmission. I got a 95 2jz-ge non vvti engine that I removed the head off of and did the vvti conversion: oil pump, crank sprocket/gear, vvti line, vvti head, etc. my problem is that when I put the engine and trans in my is300 the engine and trans sits about an inch too far forward to correctly bolt up the trans mount as well as install the interior rubber shifter covers. My question is what are the correct engine mounts to use for this swap. Currently I have factory is300 engine mounts and brackets installed on the engine. I’d like to have input from anyone who’s completed a non-vvti block swap or full non-vvti swap on which mounts to use. There doesn’t seem to be a proven answer that is actually true, just lots of speculation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In the photos below, the right side is the front of the engine.

I haven't seen any VVTI to NON VVTI swap mounts, you may need to have some mounts fabricated for you to use the trans mount and standard driveshaft length. Hopefully others who have done this can chime in.

NON-VVTI:
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Art

VVTI:
White Product Black Gas Font

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
442 Posts
Almost looks like he needs to use the front mount holes for the is300. I never knew they changed the block casting that drastically. Makes sense to though with the amount if cars they put it into.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I haven't seen any VVTI to NON VVTI swap mounts, you may need to have some mounts fabricated for you to use the trans mount and standard driveshaft length. Hopefully others who have done this can chime in.

NON-VVTI:
View attachment 140332

VVTI:
View attachment 140333
My non-vvti block mounting points look identical to that of a vvti block. And I have it mounted the same way that it does on the original vvti engine but maybe I should try the mounting points in the front maybe ??
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Rim Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

NON-VVTI:
View attachment 140332

VVTI:
View attachment 140333
And just so you don’t think I’m crazy this is how the engine started life so you know it is in fact a non-vvti engine:

NON-VVTI:
View attachment 140332

VVTI:
View attachment 140333
And here’s what the engine looked like before I did this vvti head swap on it just so we’re on the same page I’m guessing some non-vvti blocks have mounting points that look the same as the vvti block cars ??
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

·
Registered
59 Posts
Man that's crazy. Yes there's a chance they started using the newer casting in some of the NON-VVTI cars. That makes me wonder if it has the thin VVTI rods. There's also a chance the block was replaced at some point on your donor motor.

Yes if you have the room for your oil pan, you could try the forward most bolt holes that move the block down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man that's crazy. Yes there's a chance they started using the newer casting in some of the NON-VVTI cars. That makes me wonder if it has the thin VVTI rods. There's also a chance the block was replaced at some point on your donor motor.

Yes if you have the room for your oil pan, you could try the forward most bolt holes that move the block down.
That’s what I started thinking also….about those exact two questions. I didn’t strip this engine down completely so I can’t confirm the question about the rods but I do know that this engine uses the traditional “non-vvti pistons” with the larger valve reliefs unlike the vvti ones. All Ik is that IF this engine does have thinner rods by chance that the block was swapped on it before I ever even acquired it I would be pretty upset as that would defeat the purpose of me doing this job. When I find an answer to the mounting situation and possibly an answer as to the “different mounting castings on the non-vvti blocks” I’ll update this post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it’s been a while and I never updated this thread (life) but I figured out the issue. I decided I would make a video outlining exactly what you must do for this complete swap, which I’ll post the link to when I make it later but it’s honestly a pretty simple and straight forward swap. It just seems that information on this swap itself isn’t well documented or grouped together. I reused the original oil pan that came on the engine instead of the “is300” one that allows for a bigger gap between it and the front crossmember. This made the engine sit a little too far forward even though I could still visibly see that the oil pan wasn’t touching anything. After swapping the oil pan I was able to get the trans mount to line up. The non-vvti short block that has the same casting as the vvti short block can and will bolt up into a is300 engine bay using factory is300 mounts placed in the exact same position they came from factory 👍 hope this helps anyone in the future looking to do this swap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I know you said that your 2jz-ge engine came out of a 1995 car, do u know what car specifically? Sc300, gs300, or supra?
Im trying to find out which engines have the same block casting (same block mounting points). I believe all GE non-vvti had thicker rods tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts