Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally made enough progress on this project to make it worthwhile sharing here.

Since November of 2009 I've been working on a custom-built piggyback unit based on the Arduino Mega, open-source microcontroller platform...
Arduino - HomePage

I've built a combination software/hardware prototype that provides fuel injector scaling, timing signal delay, and (eventually) programmable wideband/narrowband signal processing and simulation. The intent of the project is to provide a DSP solution to support a mild-boost setup.

All-in-all the functionality is similar to the AEM FIC and the E-Manage products, but shares some of the do-it-yourself attitude and open-sourciness of the Megasquirt. Plus there's been a lot more fun and learning involved than buying an off-the-shelf product.

I'm posting here because I thought there might be others interested in what I've been up to, and that I might find some collaboration and interaction. I'm content to share and engage in some discussion.
I post details here...
2JZduino the Delta Echo
(after reading the intro, see posts under the "2JZduino" category)

Perhaps one day it might develop into a more full-featured & lower cost piggyback solution for the street-performance market.

Reactions: stirlingw

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
i am liking this idea. I am not in need of the unit for fuel delivery, however I am in need of something to do only timing on my 01 is300 as i am doing a custom never before done twin turbo setup. many may judge, but when the build is done, nobody will have seen anything like what i am doing right now. it is taking alot longer to do the r&d than expected, as well as a bit more costly. with the help of a few friends, and some assistance from tokensolutions.net, the project will be coming along here soon. the next couple months will be key to getting this project up and running. good luck on your deal, and if you know of something to do just timing I am interested. If not, i am thinking of changing the ignition system completely to an msd style or type setup, without a distributor of course.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be pretty straight-forward to strip the fuel portion out and use only the timing-retard. Right now it introduces timing delay on crank and cam rising/falling edges based on the reading from a MAP sensor. In current format the logic provides for up to 9.9 degrees of timing, but there is room to expand this particularly if the injector scaling isn't needed.

I hope to have more details on the timing portion soon. I've been fighting a little bit with the setup at idle; the cam/crank sensors are too weak to trip digital inputs at low engine RPM so I've got an ADC algorithm running below 1100 RPM.

My project aside, can't the FIC or even SplitSecond device be wired to handle timing only?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
ive used split second, and dont like its reliability, and i have also used the greddy, which somehow burned out on two clinders, so i had 4 cylinders retarded, and 2 factory, car ran really weird. it did the rise and fall shit that hondas do when they have a minor vacuum leak. also, have you thought about getting a signal conditioner from srt, or maybee talk to blacksportd about something like that. that would be the best solution for your signals being weak. lmk. i am interested. if you can get this to run and give me a gaurentee that it isnt gonna hurt my setup, i would be willing to try it out on my 01 for you. there are alot of guys with 01's that could use something like this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@RM - so Greddy retards the spark?... for this project I'm simply retarding the crank signals. I sifted through the code and schematics for the Megasquirt project in more detail yesterday and I think I figured out what I'm doing wrong (wasn't looking for zero-crossing, and I'm beginning to wonder if our stock ECU actually filters out crank pulses that don't look healthy).

I was thinking about a dedicated timing only box; it could use the standard Arduino in a smaller box, wiring could be a lot simpler. Reliability... this device is only tested on the bench with a scope so far. It runs my engine reproducing the signals real-time, but signal delay hasn't been live tested. So no guarantees yet (probably ever, as I'm not striving to market and sell this, just share it with the DIY crowd).

@somguy - Once my idle timing problems are worked out I'll be switching to build the circuit for wideband w programmable narrowband signal (first pass at the firmware is already written). I expect I'll have some findings to share come June.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope this guys still around here.....what happened to this arduino project? im really interested into it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hope this guys still around here.....what happened to this arduino project? im really interested into it.
I think it is dead doto lack of active members on the forum interested.

The page he links to the project is surprisingly still up, and gives a small amount of detail about it. He even had updates up until sometime in 2012, including the eagle files, code, and misc diagnostics.

What he was trying to do was pretty straightforward, however I was a little confused as to why he was wanting to retard ignition timing, but I guess it can be useful at times.

It's a great start for something I have been interested in doing for quite some time. I was always upset that typical aftermarket ECU's can be upwards of 2 grand, and if something like this was tooled correctly, it could offer a middle ground solution for a quarter of the price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts