Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks guys. The car is sweet to drive. After driving it around a couple times, i got to see how much nicer the 2nd gens are vs. the 1st gen is300s like mine. It feels alot more, expensive I guess(to me it does).

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Price tag on a swap like this?
Depends how much 2 years of your life is worth to you I suppose :p

Far as I know nobody has been able to have this successfully done at a commercial shop so far though (there was one fella who posted about it a while back, had $50,000 into the swap on top of the cost of the 2IS and still didn't have it working yet).... that's why I asked if he'd documented the work, because he could've sold pre-made wiring harnesses for this swap for a fortune...sadly it appears he didn't.

You'd also have to deal with it being unable to pass emissions (though you might be lucky enough to live in a state without testing).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Depends how much 2 years of your life is worth to you I suppose :p

Far as I know nobody has been able to have this successfully done at a commercial shop so far though (there was one fella who posted about it a while back, had $50,000 into the swap on top of the cost of the 2IS and still didn't have it working yet).... that's why I asked if he'd documented the work, because he could've sold pre-made wiring harnesses for this swap for a fortune...sadly it appears he didn't.

You'd also have to deal with it being unable to pass emissions (though you might be lucky enough to live in a state without testing).
He could have done it much faster, but its just that this was his side project, he didnt get paid to do this, so this was what he did in the little spare time he had for the last 2 years. He's a busy guy and flys out of the country alot to do tuning in the islands, as well as take care of clients here as well.

and yeah, this car would fail an emissions test terribly lol.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Better question- if you had to estimate how many hours of labor he put into the project, what would you estimate the number to be?

Then we can multiply that by $100 and add the cost of parts (many of which sound like they had to be custom made).

This assumes one can find someone equally competent to do the work at $100/hr of course which isn't a given, but it'd at least give a ballpark of cost.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Better question- if you had to estimate how many hours of labor he put into the project, what would you estimate the number to be?

Then we can multiply that by $100 and add the cost of parts (many of which sound like they had to be custom made).

This assumes one can find someone equally competent to do the work at $100/hr of course which isn't a given, but it'd at least give a ballpark of cost.
Ill have to ask him then get back to you on that one. But its easily 200hrs if I had to take a guess.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
So technically you have an IS300 now... lol

Just to be neat, you should buy an IS350 badge, and make it say IS300 (to keep the 2nd gen badge look). 3 and 0 from the 350 badge to replace the 2 and 5 on your car now...

That would be badass, IMO.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
damn lucky, I hate NC. i think we have the worst DMV rules in the states
Not even remotely close.

California is way, way, way, way worse.

Nobody in NC cares what you put in the car as long as it passes an OBD-2 plug in test. In CA you can't even put an intake on unless it's CARB certified.

Hell, in NC, as long as it's a 95 or older there's no emissions testing at all.

21 - 40 of 147 Posts