Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
More power to the guys that have done the swap (especially keeping the twins). Seems like an ass-ton of work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
- I was curious if one of the mods could sticky this so it doesn't get lost in the masses-

If not- well then I guess I'm just a dick for asking and trying to help...

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
For twins in full TTC mode all you need to do is follow the guide to wiring the gates to "open" position.

Slap a boost controller on the first wastegate off the front turbo and bam, moar boost.

Mine ran about 9psi with the gates wired open. I ran 17psi all day with an AVCR

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
BTW kick ass manual. This is definately something that should be stickied!

I like that you used pics/info from all the swap threads. I feel important now! lol

I want to recognise goldaltezza, japsfinest and teckis300 for leading the pack. I think myself, wingzero and a few others followed right after them. Now theres quite a few swaps. Glad to see people are recognising the potential!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
BBPSI- Thanks man, I hope that it gets stickied. I don't know who I can try to talk to but you have a bit more time on the board so maybe you have a little more pull than myself lol..

I didn't even know you posted in here. Never got the notification e-mail..

Hope it is still working good for you all!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Awesome help, plan on beginning mine over the winter this year. Hope all is ready.

BTW is there a wiring harness for sale in the market that is already converted for the is300? for this swap?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
i feel like im overlooking something big time. i cant seem to comprehend how the wastegate on the first turbo controls spool for both turbos. everything ive read says it basically allows exhaust to reach the 2nd turbo to spool. BUT you can plainly look at the manifolds and see the 4,5, and 6th exhaust power flow directly into the 2nd turbo...
IIRC - The manifold has a bridge that connects both banks. Allowing the exhaust energy from 4,5,6 to be routed to the front turbo, and through its wastegate. You'll notice that it's not the natural path for the exhaust energy to flow, which is why it takes some backpressure to cause that flow to go through the front wastegate. JDM turbo's are much more likely to overboost than the USDM twins without backpressure.

And got rid of all the stock VSVs.

My car's still running great as a daily driver at 16 psi of boost. And still brings a smile to my face everday. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Awesome help, plan on beginning mine over the winter this year. Hope all is ready.

BTW is there a wiring harness for sale in the market that is already converted for the is300? for this swap?

OptimusIS- You simply use your stock IS300 wiring harness. If swapping in an Aristo you will not use all the connections on the engine, but will use all the connections on the wiring harness. The only things that MAY need to be modified would be the IS300 fuel injector plugs on the wiring harness to put in different injectors.

Also if you do the R154 Conversion and need a speed sensor Marlin Crawler makes a piece that screws onto the stock R154 mechanical sensor on the trans converts the signal to electric and plugs into the stock wiring harness!

Jeff

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well Wing-

You were the contributor of most of the information, and you did such a great job with your write up. So Thank you for doing such a great job!

·
Registered
3 Posts
very nice i have this saved in my bookmarks! So is it possible to retain the 5 speed auto tranny with the 2jz-gte, i couldn't really find much on google.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yes you can,but if you'd like to swap to a w58 pm me as I am pulling my drivetrain from my supra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I will regret it but no thanks. I wanna see if I can do this with the automatic. Do I need a different bell housing for the auto trans to bolt up to the 2nd-gte?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I know I will regret it but no thanks. I wanna see if I can do this with the automatic. Do I need a different bell housing for the auto trans to bolt up to the 2nd-gte?
Nope, just bolt up your flex plate and converter for your tranny.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Make sure you use IS torque converter, IS flex plate and IS bellhousing for the automatic. (assuming your going with the IS auto transmission that is) :)
Yeah- thats what I meant :D I looked later and thought maybe it wasn't exactly as clear as it should be for some people. lol

21 - 40 of 67 Posts