Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about the similarities between the 2JZ-GE and the 2JZ-GTE.
Are they similiar as in the block and heads? I've heard that to make them similiar I would need a head gasket and injectors, then I could go F/I. Also how much power can I make on the stock pistons? (not that I want to be cheap, I was just curious)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
different heads

same block but different internals

ge block safe limits/ well tuned 400 hp +

try the search function-should answer all of your questions, ideas n more, try n then come back for whatever you caint find

:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Actually, the blocks are different, the GE has high compression pistons and thinner connecting rods. Also the Supra has more oil squirters in the block (if that is the right terminology).

goldznnz said:
different heads

same block but different internals

ge block safe limits/ well tuned 400 hp +

try the search function-should answer all of your questions, ideas n more, try n then come back for whatever you caint find

:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did search but I did not find anything about differences in heads, pistons, or oil squirters. Also can the GE block support more than 400+ hp with upgraded internals? Why only 400+hp? :-?

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
the ge-block can definitely handle more than 400 rwhp with built internals.. the problem that will arise is in the tranny.. if u have a manual, the tranny will break...if u have an auto, the tranny won't shift.

you are limited but then again, what are your goals..

wxman is running around with 450 rwhp on a stock 5 speed with just a clutch upgrade... he is definitely a minority seeing that other boost 5 speed owners have blown their stock trannies at a much lower amount of rwhp

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Lexotic Concepts said:
wxman is running around with 450 rwhp on a stock 5 speed with just a clutch upgrade... he is definitely a minority seeing that other boost 5 speed owners have blown their stock trannies at a much lower amount of rwhp
Wxman dyno'd at 540 rwhp :wink:

just to know his 5speed put down that power on the dyno is definatly staggering when so many people have broken their trannies in the past year....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My goals aren't in the 400hp range. I was hoping on someday making 350hp. Though money is a problem right now. Down the line I will definitely make around 400hp but not now. I was wondering because the T in GTE stands for turbo (from what I have been told) so I was thinking that the GE was the same as the GTE just without the turbo. Also I've heard that with a valve job on the tranny it will sove the shifting problems. IS this true?

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
the internals of the GTE motor, as well as a completely different head, intake manifold is completely different as well....is what makes it built from the factory Twin Turbo'd...

check that out...thats the moderator GTE's amazing ride.....

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0312tur_is300/

:p

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
WRECKEDIS300 said:
yeah, that isnt stock.... :lol:

do yourself a favor, look thru the GO FAST section....dig thru and find out alot of very interesting threads pertaining to the power of the motor and differences.....

this has come up before a few times, look thru various posts....all your questions will be answered!!!!

8)

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Wxman may have made 540 rwhp on a dyno, BUT TRUST ME, he is NOT driving around with that kind of power daily. so its not really fair to use that number as a guiding point of how much power the stock 5 speed can take.

also, the FTO comment was because this topic has been discussed many a times... it was just a random comment like..

sophie likes big twigs. get it?

and if you're only trying to at max get to 400... you dont have much to worry about... the stock internals can handle that power. u just need to lower ur compression.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Lexotic Concepts said:
Wxman may have made 540 rwhp on a dyno, BUT TRUST ME, he is NOT driving around with that kind of power daily. so its not really fair to use that number as a guiding point of how much power the stock 5 speed can take.

also, the FTO comment was because this topic has been discussed many a times... it was just a random comment like..

sophie likes big twigs. get it?

and if you're only trying to at max get to 400... you dont have much to worry about... the stock internals can handle that power. u just need to lower ur compression.
i'm not going to say anything about wxman's car that he doesnt want me to say but let me just put it this way........

He is the ONLY one boosted from Powerhouse Racing. He is running on the stock tranny (w/ clutch upgrade and short shifter of course) AND stock internals and lowered compression, AND he is the only one who has had no problems and whose tranny has not broke. Point: stock tranny can hold plenty of power without breaking if it is done right! His car is AWESOME and no he doesnt daily drive at 540 RWHP, but that dyno was made with the boost not turned all the way up to its max either. His car is in my driveway as we speak and I cannot say enough about it!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
2jz = type of block, 2nd generation of the JZ series
G = performance oriented head/cam design
T = turbocharged
E = fuel injected

the differences are:

GTE has oil squirters
GTE has thicker/better rods
GTE has lower compression pistons
GTE has a different port position head, as well as flow design
GTE has a different intake manifold
GTE has a water coiled oil filter housing
GTE has the p/s pump mounted in a different position
GTE has 2 cam sensors
GTE has no vvti (american spec)
GTE is not drive by wire
GTE uses different motor mounts (interchangable dependent on year)
GTE uses a different lower girdle/oil pan, oil pump sump and oil level sending unit
GTE uses a different oil pressure sending unit
GTE uses a fuel return system

i'm probably leaving a few things out, but you get the picture

-gte

WRECKEDIS300 said:
My goals aren't in the 400hp range. I was hoping on someday making 350hp. Though money is a problem right now. Down the line I will definitely make around 400hp but not now. I was wondering because the T in GTE stands for turbo (from what I have been told) so I was thinking that the GE was the same as the GTE just without the turbo. Also I've heard that with a valve job on the tranny it will sove the shifting problems. IS this true?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.