Lexus IS Forum banner

2JZ - GE Internals swap

16K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Kris OK 
#1 ·
What parts would I need to do a swap on my engine internals. I’m looking to go for around 400-500 hp and eventually go turbo. Is it worth rebuilding my engine or should I just buy a GTE. I’m new to cars so I don’t know much.

#2 ·
Well, you won't hit 400-500hp without the turbo, you'd have even less power with the GTE internals until you went turbo. But yes, GTE or aftermarket forged rods and pistons is a good place to start. If you're new to cars then it's time to do a lot of research before you even decide to buy parts of any sort.

#4 ·
I'd definitely start with pistons/rods, but at the same point the money you're going to be spending on those could be spent going with a gte engine. In fact you may actually save money that way since it'll come with gte internals and a turbo setup.

#5 ·
I did a full rebuild of my current GE block.

- GTE Head Gasket
- GTE Pistons
- GTE Rods
- Rod Bearings
- Main Bearings
- Thrust Washer
- GTE Oil Pump
- New Water Pump
- ARP Head Studs
- Freeze Plugs
- ID 1050x injectors
- AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator
- DW 400 Fuel pump
- Turbo manifold
- Borg Warner S366
- Vibrant Resonator 3"
- Xperformance Varex 3.5" Muffler
- Precision 46mm Wastegate
- GSC Valve seals
- BC retainer & Springs..

Yes!! No cams.

#6 ·
but at the same point the money you're going to be spending on those could be spent going with a gte engine.
This is what I'm thinking. If you have to tear into the engine and potentially get machine work done to swap in parts, you're probably better off just buying a good used GTE. The GE block can never be as good as the GTE block even if you swap in the guts. The GTE comes with a built in oil cooler and piston coolers. The GE doesn't.

#7 ·
been there done that......

just get a COMPLETE swap and call it a day.

not worth messing with attempting to make a turbo engine out of a NA engine.......or getting alot of power out of NA.
I know i tried on the 5s-fe in my 93 MR2.......ended up with a 3sgte swap and loved life and my wallet.

two completely differently designed animals.

#8 ·
I have a set of gte pistons and rods if your interested. My is has gone through alot of stages my latest motor is being built right now My advice is build your ge I am blocking off my oil squerters anyway and if you buy a GE intake/exhaust manifold and have problems with your head later on you can pick up a reman at advanced for 700$ the aristo head is more expensive/harder to find and flows about the same. I've wasted alot of money my car trying to cheap out don't do it I'm on my second aristo motor, first clean on the outside horrible on the inside decided to run it spun a bearing 3000 miles later 520 hp. bought another looked really great compression checked under the valve covers it looked great installed it, smoked immediately needed valve stem seals removed the head valve seats didn't look great and the block deck was off about 7 thou checked the cylinder for straitness they looked great but it was right at max factory limit so I decided to do a full rebuild. In the end I could have saved about $3600 on motors alone not including the parts/labor the latest rebuild and pulling off the factory turbos/prepping the block on aristos takes time also assume you will need to replace the factory turbo setup the first motor they where bad the second I didn't test but it looked like they where leaking oil. Do not but knock off..injectors,turbos,wastegates,piggybacks,fuel lines,ect. To be honest if your going for 500 you may as well go for more. Ide copy turbo taxi he has the best value setup I know of https://youtu.be/MjUGxFP6nHw

#9 ·
It's been done. I depends on whether you find the right parts for the right price, whether or not you can or cannot perform the work yourself etc. Apparently I am an the exception in that back when I swapped to a junkyard gte i ran into issues w the turbos smoking, brittle valve seals etc etc. It can be suggested that it's as simple as swapping in a gte but I would say that, at the very least, it's up for argument. Good luck!

#11 ·
Lower compression with gte pistons. The NA head gasket is thinner, so that would bring compression up a bit, more so than a stock gte.

I would get a gte from a reputable importer, do the maintenance, and single turbo swap it. Standalone ems, and built auto or AR5/cd009/T6. It ain’t cheap, and it don’t ever stop, let me tell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.