Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy an is 300 I’m just looking for a daily. I found one with a good clean body and the color I want. But the guy won’t take less than 4,000 for the car. The car has never be abused and the interior is really good. The only thing I scared of the mileage. I was hoping to get some feed back.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus IS300 Sport Design 5MT Thunder Cloud Metallic
5 Posts
I 2nd that, I didn't really like the idea of my 04 Sport Design 5MT having 241k mi when I was going to buy it, but the guy kept it in phenomenal condition, and had 20 pages worth of service records. All of my hesitations went away when I heard it start up. Runs like it has 80k mi. That's what good maintenance does to a 2JZ!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I’m looking to buy an is 300 I’m just looking for a daily. I found one with a good clean body and the color I want. But the guy won’t take less than 4,000 for the car. The car has never be abused and the interior is really good. The only thing I scared of the mileage. I was hoping to get some feed back.
Make sure to at least take a good look at the harmonic balancer, they have a tendency to uh...fall off

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
152 Posts
at that mileage a lot of maintenance would have had to been done for me to trust it. whats cool about these engines is their ability to cover a lot of miles without major issues. If the rest of the car is clean I would not hesitate to buy it. then again I buy lemons for cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well looky here, we got ourselves what mid-westerners might call a "co-inky-dink"
Dontcha noh.

Spent 4k on mine, have dumped almost that back in, and I still am not done.
Every seal leaked.
Wet Alternator, Blew right after I got it home.
Oil+Alternator+Time=No Bueno.
🙄
Transmission refreshed, but valve body is tired.
Motor mounts: gone.
Trans mount was close behind.
Replaced with Xcessive, which then pronounced the Harmonic balancer issue.
Still need to get ride hight in the zone because two owners back didn't know how how to set up the Chinese CO's
Correctly.
Let alone spring rate.
And then need to replace most if not all Lca's, drag links, joints, etc.
THEN take it in for its first professional alignment.

260 on the clock.
There is a thing such as diminishing returns.
But I wanted one, and I got one.
STILL cheaper than a 3 series from same era with thier cooling issues, and unibody/control arms tearing out.
Paint? :
8 outta 10.
And I got a DIN, and Rockford amp/12" backing fasteners out in that little trunk.
So I'm not frowning too much yet. 😉
YMMV.
And before I hear "you got took"
I had a hell of a time just getting someone to text me back on 4 diff leads, and had to drive 300 miles to get this one.
By the time I got to the meetup, I just wanted to bring her home.
Sometimes one rolls the dice.
At least I went in, and stsnd by my choice.
Instead of hiding behind anonymity, and talking hard behind mom's skirt.
Facts.
(ignore that last statement OP)
have a good one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts