Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the changes they are putting the new GS300 245 hp engine into the next year model IS300? if they are, i wont buy one now. Manual and navigation arent too important to me, but if they're putting in a much more powerful engine, i'd feel bad buying one now even though i can barely wait for the 2001 model to come out!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I'm with you. But I have to have GPS and will almost indefinitely go with a stick. The extra horsepower and/or improved torque will almost certainly happen with significant upgrades for BMW and Audi occurring within the next calendar year.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad,
I thought you were going to get the IS300 now and then wait for the new Audi A4's...
Eric...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Well, it's a possibility but I'm trying to be good, Eric! If I don't go berzerk after driving this car and buy one I will use the extra year to decrease my future payments even more with a few extra grand down. It really depends on what my dealer will do for me < MSRP and how much of a hickey I will take for dumping and trading next year. Who knows? He might cut me some slack and we'll both win.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
If that v8 A4 comes out and I like it more than the IS then you know I would be tossing away a couple grand for a one year lease. I just couldn't live with myself for doing that. A couple grand conscious mistake is like throwing 20 or 30 away from my IRA cashout thirty five years down the road. Call me cheap!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
No I agree with you Brad and I don't consider that a "cheap" move. As far as I've heard though about the new audis is that the A4 was going to be offered with a v6 putting out 210 horsepower and the new S4 will have a 300 horsepower V6. Where did you get the info on the V8? Is this just speculation?
Eric...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I could have sworn that I read a quick blurb in Autoweek a couple months ago that the next A4 will be offered with a v8. Also, I just recently read that VW has gotten a green light to produce a v8. Not the 4.2. I think the displacement was 3.8 but that doesn't make much sense. Perhaps it was 3.6. Now that would make sense. Let's hope someone like Autoweek discovers next years engine options for Audi and IS quickly.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad,
I thought the 8 cylinder going into the Audi would be a W-configuration that would initially go into the Passat then eventually the A4.... I don't know if you knew that the S8 Audi is coming to America. .. It's too bad that lexus doesn't go ULTRA HIGH Performance. My GS400 is very fast but not at the level of the E55 and the M5. Too bad Lexus doesn't make a GS500 to compete with those models. I wonder will Lexus will make an Ultra performance IS to compete with the S4 and M3. It's unlikely but who knows. The next 3 years will be very exciting and we're all lovin' it!
Eric....
oh yeah, a few year back Lexus was working on a ceramic V12 to compete with the likes of S600 mercedes and 750iL BMW's but abandoned the idea because of its inefficiency and they could do just as well with an 8 cylinder.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Yea, Audi has the upcoming S8 for US and the S55 Benz will be here soon as well.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Yes Mercedes is also making a CL55 AMG... I wish BMW would put the M5's engine in the sport version of the 7 series... I like my father's 740iL but its 4.4 liter V8 does not do its 18inch wheels justice especially considering that it weighs 4,300 lbs... Lexus, you took the first step by producing the GS400. As a result I bought it... Take the next step and make a HIGH performance IS and Ultra High performance GS500. I'm sure Lexus won't have any problem getting buyers for those types of cars. If Lexus had a GS500, that's what I'd be driving now....
Eric.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ya MBZ is comming with a CLK 55AMG you can order it now and take delivery in about 1 year. The production starts this November and should run for 2 years according to MBZ. I have thought of ordering it and get the IS300 as a fun car till I can pick it up Next December. ( $70K for the CLK 55 0-60 in 5.2Sec)

------------------
'00 Civic Si
'99 BMW M3

·
8,107 Posts
my god, a V8 in the A4 would make the car plow even more in the turns. Why would you want a car to be so front heavy? Same goes with the IS300. I don't want the front to get any heavier with a bigger engine. Same weight and more power would be ok though, but give us a manual, that'll be FAST.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Did anybody see the review done a while back with the C43, M3 and S4? Good grief, everything but the 0-60 times the C43 absolutely destroyed the other two. Wow, what impressive numbers. I've driven the E430 and was impressed, I can only imagine that 4.3 stuck in the old C bay. But hey, $55 grand is a lot of dough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts