Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and gals,
I have a set of Pirelli snows (235-45-17) on my old Volvo wheels and want to sell the wheels, but since its just turning spring, no one wants the snow tires. I figure I might as well keep them if I can from the stories I've read about ISs in the snow. My question is, I know its not the ideal size to be putting on your stock wheels, but will they work without rubbing? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Other than your speedo being off a little they will be fine, I use 225/45/17 for my winter tires.

2.9% too slow, when your speedo reads 60mph you will be actually going 61.7mph

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
It will also not drive as easily as a proper sized snow tire, because you want the smallest width tire possible for snow driving. But yes, it should fit fine.

Reactions: MoonlightSilver_IS

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
It will also not drive as easily as a proper sized snow tire, because you want the smallest width tire possible for snow driving. But yes, it should fit fine.
exactly. the tires needs to be narrow to better cut thru the snow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes I already had in mind the speedo calibration as well as the semi-wide snow tire is not the most ideal, but again, if I can sell my other wheels by taking these off and using them myself in the winter (which is not horrible in VA) then I am kinda killing two birds with one stone. I guess i'll see this winter if you guys were right about the rubbing then!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
235 is pretty fat for snow tires.
Actually for snow tires, you're supposed to have thinner tires.
staying with the stock 215 would be better.
its not like regular tires, where 235s will give better traction than the 215s.
Its the opposite.

Reactions: Chigger

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
thats what i thought, cause i have 225/45/17's all the way around on my car right now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have 225/45/17s on my stockies for winter (no Ice Bear W300s in 215), and even at 225 the sidewalls begin to puddle out. Winter tires are not designed to have strong, firm sidewalls, so I can only imagine how much sidewall flex you are going to have with 235s on stock wheels. But hey, you will get a few more mm of clearance!

·
Registered
554 Posts
On my stock wheels i have them staggered.

215/45/17 BF Goodwrich KDW2 in the front
235/40/17 BF Goodwrich KDW2 in the rear

The 235's are not too extreme. However; if you love the corners and the handling aspect of it, you can feel the sidewall movement under hard cornering on the 235's which makes it a little more "sloppy" so to speak.

Alot of guys out there that want to keep the stock 5 spokes usualy go with the sportcoss wheels in the back which are 17x7.5 and used them in the rear with the 235 or even a 245.

Also, yes, you want a smaller width snow tire to place more pounds per inch of pressure in one point instead of dispursing it with a wider tire to create more pressure on the snow tire to get that added traction.

Hope that helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts