Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know you can fit 245/40 on 17x7.5, so 235/40 might be doable on 7.0 wide rim. Be sure to take it to a reputable and experienced shop so they don't damage your wheels.

Rick

·
Registered
120 Posts
NO,NO,NO!. Go to any of the tire manufacturers web pages and look up the size tires you want; there will be a table listing the recommended wheel width for each tire size. Don't go beyond (smaller) than the minimun width or else
1. You'll void the tire warrantee
2. The tire may come off the rim during a sharp turn and you can get hurt.
To use a 40 aspect ratio you will need to go to an 8" wide wheel.

Believe me, I do open track racing in my 97 Cobra.
Can't wait to mod my white IS.
Best, Steve

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have actually asked Tirerack this question and they have told me yes, but only at the rear (I guess because you will rub the wheel well if you put it in front). You can also checkout discount tires' website and they also listed the 235/40 as one of the optional tires you can get. I think my next set will be 225/45 up front and 235/40 in the back (just in case I decide to bump up the power output).

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Hey Steve,
glad to see you are still around...how's the IS? I'm that Asian guy with the blue IS that you tailed in your mustang to Lexus of Oxnard...i went to talk with my salesman about my car and you disappeared and I didn't get to say laters...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by OPENWIDE:
NO,NO,NO!. Go to any of the tire manufacturers web pages and look up the size tires you want; there will be a table listing the recommended wheel width for each tire size. Don't go beyond (smaller) than the minimun width or else

Best, Steve
Ummm he maybe right, but we're going up in size not down right? So it should affect it as much. But also I just remembered that my rims have a special lip that locks the bead of the tire so the previous information may only apply to Mcoupe/Mroadsters.

Rick

·
Registered
150 Posts
Originally posted by OPENWIDE:

Best, Steve

I think DreamYU actually wants 8" wide tires.......

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
According to Toyo's specs for the T1-S, they recommend 8.0-9.5 for 235/40ZR17. And wouldn't you know it, they don't make a 225/40ZR17. Crap. 225's have a recommend 17" wheel width of 7.0-8.5

Looks like I'll get 225/45-17 when I wear out my stockers. (Getting pretty close)

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited November 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by dreamwonder:
Can I put 235/40 on the 17X7.0 rims? Like the rims but the tires are too thin. Thanks
Typically, a tire canbe mounted on a wheel NO more than 2 inches narrower, i.e. upto a 225/ 40 or a 225/ 45 tire for a 17x7 wheel. Nevertheless, the "225" designation of the tire is measured at the bulging part and NOT directly related to the width of the contact patch to the ground, which is mainly determined by the width of the wheel instead. A "225" (8.8 in) tire would give essentially the same contact patch as a "215" (8.4 in) tire on a 17x7 wheel, but the "225" tire is heavier and it may look better. Either way, a 235/ 40 tire would need at least a 17x7.5 wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts