Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
A lot do....just search.

Wider tires is always nicer for better grip.......not so nice for snow. I will be running 225s for summer and swap to 205s in the winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 225's on 17's on my 01, i like how it handles better. its louder on the road but that not really what im worried about. i have stock suspension and sometimes in revirse if i cut the wheel all the way the rub ever so slightly not a big deal at all. i would go for it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have 225's on 17's on my 01, i like how it handles better. its louder on the road but that not really what im worried about. i have stock suspension and sometimes in revirse if i cut the wheel all the way the rub ever so slightly not a big deal at all. i would go for it.
hmm really? right now i have 215 in front, and 225 in back, but i was thinking of making both of them 225. Would 02+ not rub? since 01s were a bit lower?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
You will be fine with 225s all around on stock suspension.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm running my second set of 225/45s on my stock wheels and there have been no clearance issues at all. My suspension is stock though. One thing I noticed is that the 225s make the speedometer more accurate compared to my GPS. I think they look better as they fill the wheel well a bit more without having to drop the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would prefer to have them all one size since I keep popping tires. I broke at least 3 tires within a year, after I changed all 4 tires to general tires exclaim. So now, I buy road hazard insurance, and a different brand of tires. -_- Sooner or later, that insurance $$ is going to pay off,,,if my tires keep blowing out at this rate. All of them had gashes in the sidewall from potholes, so they're non repairable. Have not had flats due to running over nails/glass yet.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
225's fit the wheel better, I love them. I've had two sets of them and I can't understand why Lexus didn't put them on over 215's.

A buddy of mine is running 245's, so to answer your question, yes 225's will fit with no problem. But I wouldn't run higher than that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been running 225/45-17s Pilot Sport A/S all around on stock wheels/suspension since '05 and have driven the vehicle in the autobahn with no problems. As of '08, I've been running the same sized tires, Pilot Sport PS2 during Spring and Summer months, on Volk RE30 17x7.5 with Bilstein HDs and Eibach Pro-kit springs and use the stock wheels with the Pilot Sport A/S during the Fall and Winter months. I believe the 225 width tires are perfect for both the stock wheels and 7.5 width Volk wheels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
According to a few reps I spoke to at Tirerack, most tire manufacturers make their 225 width tire around a 7.5 inch wheel and approve that sized tire in a 7 inch wide wheel to a 8.5 inch wide wheel. Several years ago (approximately 2002-2003) Tirerack used IS300s to test 225/45-17 tires on the stock 17x7 wheels.

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
no, the tires will be wider than the wheel. That's not a good idea.
Correct. 225 width tires are about as wide as you can go on a 7" wheel.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
so far, from what I've understood after reading the posts in this thread is.... that it is safe to run 225/45 tires all around on stock suspension on a 01 is300.

I'm getting new tires tomorrow or on monday morning... So I need to figure this out fairly quickly..

What are the advantages, and if any, disadvantages of running a 225/45 tire...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think you'll be happy with 225/45 all around. The difference will be minimal but you should benefit slightly in handling, softer ride and filling the gap. I entertained this swap when I was nearing the need for new rubber. However, I came across a set of IS350 wheels in near new condition and went with those instead. Cost me less $$$ too. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think you'll be happy with 225/45 all around. The difference will be minimal but you should benefit slightly in handling, softer ride and filling the gap. I entertained this swap when I was nearing the need for new rubber. However, I came across a set of IS350 wheels in near new condition and went with those instead. Cost me less $$$ too. Good luck with your purchase.
what gap is the one you talk about??

I'm confused.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.