Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
by the way, i paid for part of my IS on my own...got $10k from my parents, $10k from grandparents, and i paid $14k...the money from parents and grandparents was for my 18th b-day...the $14k of my own was from working at a dot com company in tech support and network management.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just turned 21 on fri the 29th. Bought my Is in august on my own. I had such a good credit report the lady said I could get a morgage if I wanted to.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I paid for it all on my own. 15k cash downpayment. And i'm making about $400 monthly payments. Only thing not on my own is my parents are helping out by paying for half of my insurance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I don't have an IS300 (yet, it's a car I am looking at definitely getting if it ever makes it to the US in manual), but I bought my r/t new at 20, living on my own, paid it off in a month, and i also own a crotch rocket, '98 yamaha yzf600r, all paid in full. No loaner payments or anything, no help from parents

·
Registered
571 Posts
don't have a lexus yet but put down a deposit on the manual IS300. Got completely cut off from parents when I graduated college about 6 months ago (I'm 21). Since then, I've bought a house and paying for two cars (98 GSR and 96 Del Sol (my fiance's car)).

·
Registered
281 Posts
im 19, but dont have an IS yet..
im waiting for the manual next yr...
but i did buy my first car on my own...

1998 Honda Accord..
$8k down, $300/month...
I bought it when i was 16...
i hate taking money from my folks...

I also plan to buy my IS on my own, now that I have a great job as an Internet Programmer..^_^

late

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just turned 22 last month, but I WOULD have been buying the IS myself, if my folks hadnt bought it as a Xmas gift. At the moment, I have 2 cars, until I find someone to buy the Eclipse. Im thinking of keeping them both, and just drive the IS on weekends or something.

------------------
Rob
3series fun+ Japanese reliability=IS300

·
11,061 Posts
Originally posted by puzzle1001:
I was just shy of 21 when I bought my IS300. I bought the whole thing on my own and I paid cash for it.

-anndi
That's something! Trust fund?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I don't want to bicker but you're less than 21 and paid north of $30K in CASH from the proceeds of your "job"? Who are you kiddin'?

Originally posted by puzzle1001:

No, no trust fund. I have a great job.

-a

[This message has been edited by puzzle1001 (edited January 05, 2001).]

·
8,880 Posts
I bought mine Graphite-Gray(fully loaded) for my 21st birtday. Although, I had to wait 2 month to get it.
I financed 32k.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I'm 27 years and still can't afford an IS3.

I've decided I need desperately to know what line of work you 20 year olds are in to pay cash for a 30-some thousand dollar vehicle! Minus the one who got it for a Christmas present. Your family must have lots of Holiday Spirit

Actually I work in small market T.V. News, you can make more as a McDonald's floor sweeper. I'm hoping my career choice will pay off somewhere down the road. I must say it's a struggle now.

I have been able to pay off a pre-owned 97 ES300 in the past couple years. Does that count for anything?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
I don't want to bicker but you're less than 21 and paid north of $30K in CASH from the proceeds of your "job"? Who are you kiddin'?

Geez...maybe I shouldn't have said anything. And no I'm not a drug dealer.
Besides, I'm not LESS than 21, I AM 21.

-anndi

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
I could've afforded a lexus is300 at 21 too. I just chose not to (plus it wasn't available a year and a half ago). Don't underestimate youth of today...In silicon valley kids out of HS wind up getting jobs at 50k a year. Not bad making 50k with no expenses while staying with parents. Once they have some cash saved up, get a car, better job, and move out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i turn 21 on feb 21st. i did pay off my IS in full. the catch is my father passed away some four years ago. he did leave me and my sister money, which hasnt gone to waste. with some wise investments, i have been able to purchase 2 cars, pay for four years of tuition and rent, put a down payment on my parents house, live a damn comfortable life and have been completely happy. all this without touching one bit of the principal and also while going to school. life isnt easy when youre 20 and go to school 400 miles away from home, knowin your mom and sister are back there. but 6 more months and im out, tryin to make it in the big world. i hope people realize that money is not the ultimate prize in this world we live in. status is not everything. honestly, happiness is. if any of u have seen the movie "family man", that is almost exactly how my situation is. my lil rant is over.

mike

[This message has been edited by acuracing (edited January 06, 2001).]

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm 19 and I could have never afforded that ****. Dad bought it for me b/c I got a 3.2gpa on my first report card at college. It's gone downhill since I've had the car.
Originally posted by nemesiss:
i was curious...how many is owners out there 21 and under bought the car totally on their own?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts