Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
great!

The wait is finally over sports car enthusiasts – the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata has made its debut.

The highly anticipated, next-generation sports car was unveiled at a live event in Monterey, California while simultaneous global reveals were also done in Tokyo and Barcelona. Earlier this year, the popular convertible celebrated its 25th anniversary and now the Japanese automaker looks to the future with its new MX-5 Miata, as it continues to strive on as the best-selling two-seat roadster of all time.

During its unveiling, the Japanese automaker described the new MX-5 Miata as a labor of love with its engineers striving to combine the classic roadster with a totally modern design and state-of-the-art technology. Wider and lower than today’s Miata, the new sleek body and design is the Miata’s biggest jump in terms of styling from generation to generation. Inside, the company wanted to give the Miata a much higher quality feel to the interior while remaining driver focused.

SEE ALSO: MX-5 to Monterey: Grand Junction, CO to Monterey, CA

The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata adopts both the company’s Skyactiv and Kodo design language and will be rolled out to global markets starting in 2015. Overall, the new Miata is the most compact of any generation MX-5 and is over 220 lbs lighter than the current model.

Unfortunately, the Japanese automaker didn’t reveal the juiciest of details – that is, what’s lurking under the hood and what will be powering the Miata. For now, we’ll have to be satisfied with its stunningly good looks as we wait for Mazda to confirm its powerplant.
See more 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
x2!

I own/race a red turbo 90 miata...... they are cheap and fun to beat on

I might go look/buy a cheap 99 next week and switch classes.....
I've had an 01 for a while now. Don't race it, but may now that I have the garage space for a project. Got the 01 for the larger brakes and lsd. I should have sold the Miata and put it towards a 911 by now, but I'm really loving the fact that it's so cheap to keep the mIata alive. I put in a motor and trans a couple of years back for $1500.

-Justin

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Just reading the text up there, I'm not sure if I agree that this generation is the biggest styling jump from the prior generation. Every new Miata has been a pretty significant jump from the prior model. I would have said the current generation would have been the more significant jump since it was a pretty big leap in a non-miata direction with its bloated weight, 4x4 stance and wheel arches, stupid fucking autotragic transmission and power folding hardtop.

This new one is just surprising because very few models make their way back from the trend towards fattening. Automakers just let the cars get fatter and then slot in a model beneath it when it has grown into an unrecognizable overweight pile of shit.

-Justin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts