Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I dont normally street race but this morning a new civic si coupe lined up with me at a stop light. Then the dude rev'd his motor and started rocking back and forth in neutral. So I knew he was gonna take off and I didnt want him to think he could school me with his new car. So to wrap up this kill story, Light turned green, I got him off the line, stayed about a car and a half ahead of him till bout 80mph then I let off not realizing how fast I was going. I was proud of my 01 with 113k on the motor whooping on a new civic si, even though they only have 201hp vs. our 215hp.

·
Registered
115 Posts
These have k24 engines in them? Interesting.... I know my cousin has the last k20 generation and it creeps away from my 02. Can somebody chime in?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
thats actually good to know, are you all stock vehemence?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the most part the motor is stock with the exception of an adjustable cam gear. I have bolt on mods like K&N intake, Megan y pipe, apexi n1 cat back exhaust, and lots of suspension goodies. So I may have a few more ponies than stock. Regardless Im glad to know my motor seems to be as strong now as it was when the car was new.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought an 07 si sedan as soon as it came out and it was a fantastic little car! It was fun to drive as the handling was great. The power wasnt anything special but still fun, and the sound system was good too. The main reason I got rid of it was I wanted more power

·
Cherisher
4,819 Posts
I love stories like this... It's good to know where the cars stand. Stock or near stock races really puts things in perspective.

Congrats!

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I bought an 07 si sedan as soon as it came out and it was a fantastic little car! It was fun to drive as the handling was great. The power wasnt anything special but still fun, and the sound system was good too. The main reason I got rid of it was I wanted more power
so you went out and bought an IS300 :disagree:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I love stories like this... It's good to know where the cars stand. Stock or near stock races really puts things in perspective.
I love hearing about ANY IS300 beating civics, altimas and the likes (especially when an IS puts down a subaru).... But calling this a "stock" with this mod list doesn't seem like that kind of perspective. Good kill though.

adjustable cam gear. I have bolt on mods like K&N intake, Megan y pipe, apexi n1 cat back exhaust, and lots of suspension goodies.

·
Cherisher
4,819 Posts
I love hearing about ANY IS300 beating civics, altimas and the likes (especially when an IS puts down a subaru).... But calling this a "stock" with this mod list doesn't seem like that kind of perspective. Good kill though.
Stock or near stock
almost any NA mod or combination thereof will still net "near stock" performance :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
this is kind of hard to believe, I've always heard that our cars were slower than civic si (8th gen) and the new 9th gen's are even faster. I'm not doubting you, its just surprising.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
8th gen Si > 9th gen Si
The K20s specially the a2 and z3 will murder the current K24 Si
The thing is fugly, has crappy suspension, and an all-in-one head-and-intake mani *smart*.
for a 2.4 block, the additional torque is garbage, oh and the redline was reduced to like 7k i think.
Not enough marginal benefit to upgrade.
IIRC this new Si lost interest from many enthusiasts, i think sale numbers could show that.

But to each their own, imo Honda did a great job with the FG2 and FA5 Si's it was a nice peepy affordable 'sports' car with 6 gears. They brought in a huge crowd, but for me its the unknowledgeable folks that still ejaculate then they hear the word Si, and thus went out and bought the new one.
if i was ever to get one, it would definitely be an 8th gen.

·
Registered
544 Posts
almost any NA mod or combination thereof will still net "near stock" performance
Yes I understand what you are saying. And what I am eluding to is that the outcome may have been different if the civic had the same supporting mods.

stock and "near stock" aren't the same

·
Registered
647 Posts
8th gen Si > 9th gen Si
The K20s specially the a2 and z3 will murder the current K24 Si
The thing is fugly, has crappy suspension, and an all-in-one head-and-intake mani *smart*.
for a 2.4 block, the additional torque is garbage, oh and the redline was reduced to like 7k i think.
Not enough marginal benefit to upgrade.
IIRC this new Si lost interest from many enthusiasts, i think sale numbers could show that.

But to each their own, imo Honda did a great job with the FG2 and FA5 Si's it was a nice peepy affordable 'sports' car with 6 gears. They brought in a huge crowd, but for me its the unknowledgeable folks that still ejaculate then they hear the word Si, and thus went out and bought the new one.
if i was ever to get one, it would definitely be an 8th gen.
Agreed, the only SI i would ever own (and then only if I really HAD to) would be an 8th gen. I just assumed the 9th would be faster just looking at the displacement increase, didn't really research it much, just looked at specs and yeah kinda pathetic, marginal gains.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so stock specs show the 2013 SI 1/4 mile at 14.9 sec. Our IS300 is 15.7 sec.
On paper this dude should have won but I treed his ass at the light which put me up front instantly. Im betting my "near stock" car puts down better than 15.7 sec, but not by much. I think in this case driver error can really make or break this match up. Im just glad my 12 year old car beat up on a new Honda.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts