Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just totaled my previous car, which was a lemon, and decided it’s time to buy a slightly more expensive vechicle to get me reliably through college while being sporty. I was going to buy a Honda accord V6EXL when my now new IS350 caught my eye.

I am a college student who can only work part time so I am hesitant to buy a 80$ a month warranty for parts and service (excluding timing belts and head lights and regular service)
My cars carfax shows that for the first two years of its life it was a loaner at a Lexus dealership where they maintained it well.
The next owner owned it for 10 years, servicing it every 6K miles with oil, tire rotations, with one minor scrape. They averaged 11k miles a year.
The most recent owner of two years put 13K miles a year on it with oil changes every 11K miles for around 3 years.

I need this car to last me at least 4 years, I drive around 16K a year and I like to drive fast. My warranty costs around 5.6K for 60K of coverage or 4 years, do y’all think it’s a worth investment or will the IS350 manage without it in most cases?

· Registered
'01 IS300
126 Posts
Although the car is reliable, I would suggest getting something a bit more cost effective with maintenance costs, and operating costs. A Genesis coupe (4cyl turbo) would probably be better along those lines.

· Registered
952 Posts
If you know how to fix things and know what to look for when something goes wrong, I wouldn't even bother with the warranty. If you are going to a mechanic about everything, then I would. It depends on your skill level and your knowledge to fix things.

· Registered
205 Posts
Although the car is reliable, I would suggest getting something a bit more cost effective with maintenance costs, and operating costs. A Genesis coupe (4cyl turbo) would probably be better along those lines.
@OwenMcCulloch yea i second that, the genesis coupe engine is very very similar to the mitsubishi evo 10 4b11t engine and has lota potential for future mods, and parts availability, the lexus Edit: turbo 4 (i’m thinking of the is250 turbo 4 cylinder) doesn't have the mod community like that 4B11t

· Registered
952 Posts
@OwenMcCulloch yea i second that, the genesis coupe engine is very very similar to the mitsubishi evo 10 4b11t engine and has lota potential for future mods, and parts availability, the lexus 4 doesn't have the mod community like that 4B11t
Yea, this is comparing a turbo charged easily modifiable car vs a NA Lexus. The Evo and the Genesis are more desirable to modify so the aftermarket community will be better. With Turbo cars, you have turbo problems with will effectively cost more than NA cars. For reliability comparison, the Lexus/Toyota is far superior to both Mitsubishi and Hyundai. Overall repairs and maintenance, the Lexus will cost less.

· Registered
'01 IS300
126 Posts
Yea, this is comparing a turbo charged easily modifiable car vs a NA Lexus. The Evo and the Genesis are more desirable to modify so the aftermarket community will be better. With Turbo cars, you have turbo problems with will effectively cost more than NA cars. For reliability comparison, the Lexus/Toyota is far superior to both Mitsubishi and Hyundai. Overall repairs and maintenance, the Lexus will cost less.

Yeah, toyota is hands down, more reliable. But, change it to a lexus badge, and it's an instant 20-40% price increase on parts. And, unfortunately, a majority of that car doesn't cross over to toyota parts. As for running cost, it depends. The 4cyl turbo car can run on regular without problems. Parts are affordable and plentiful. If he finds the version with brembos, that's even better.

But, he already has the car... and problems, as noted on another posts. So, it's all a moot point as of now.

· Registered
2002 is300
774 Posts
Yeah, toyota is hands down, more reliable. But, change it to a lexus badge, and it's an instant 20-40% price increase on parts. And, unfortunately, a majority of that car doesn't cross over to toyota parts. As for running cost, it depends. The 4cyl turbo car can run on regular without problems. Parts are affordable and plentiful. If he finds the version with brembos, that's even better.

But, he already has the car... and problems, as noted on another posts. So, it's all a moot point as of now.
Lots of parts are Toyota/Lexus. Unless you are looking for body panels or trim etc. spark plugs alternators etc are all the same the packaging even shares logos. Toyota will reign in terms of reliability and cost per mile. Much of toyota/ lexus maintenance can be done at home as well.

· Registered
'01 IS300
126 Posts
Lots of parts are Toyota/Lexus. Unless you are looking for body panels or trim etc. spark plugs alternators etc are all the same the packaging even shares logos. Toyota will reign in terms of reliability and cost per mile. Much of toyota/ lexus maintenance can be done at home as well.
Engine wise, yes. Body and suspension, some of the interior electronics, no. And trust me, I know Toyota reliability. That's why I have/had so many 80's Toyotas. That's also why I prefer 80s/90s Toyotas over newer ones.

· Registered
2002 is300
774 Posts
Engine wise, yes. Body and suspension, some of the interior electronics, no. And trust me, I know Toyota reliability. That's why I have/had so many 80's Toyotas. That's also why I prefer 80s/90s Toyotas over newer ones.
I agree the older ones are better but working at a Toyota dealership tow ins are rare and we rarely see anything major. Usually timing cover leaks and other easy items.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts