Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
umm the xerd piping is bigger than our stock piping.. so you will get more flow there. there are people running gutted stock pipes, why would you think that causes a CEL?

also why would you reset your ecu every 250 miles? the car will never learn your driving habits..

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
irv_usc said:
umm the xerd piping is bigger than our stock piping.. so you will get more flow there. there are people running gutted stock pipes, why would you think that causes a CEL?

also why would you reset your ecu every 250 miles? the car will never learn your driving habits..
he gutted his and throws a CEL after 250 miles so he resets the ecu to avoid the light

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
The advantage of any straight pipe vs a gutted cat (in any application) is that the straight pipe will flow better. The gutted pipe will have a hollow chamber that will cause unwanted turbulence in the flow.

As to why the XERD pipe doesn't throw a CEL when a gutted stock pipe does, I'm not sure. Maybe he's done other things too - like an intake...

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
sun said:
I gutted my stock Y pipe and it works well. As for the chamber issue, I welded a pipe inside so the flow isn't disrupted. I don't get a check engine light.
It works well because of the straight pipe you added. Very stealthy.

Maybe the turbulence from the chamber causes some reverse flow between shifts back to the header 02 sensors and triggers the CEL?

·
Registered
73 Posts
kaoticISdriver: I received your PM, but the reply is stuck in my outbox for some reason.

Anyway, here's my response:

I haven't tried it with gutted vs. welded pipe, but this will not make a difference if you have a CEL. Make sure you didn't stretch any of the wires on the O2 sensor, as this could cause this or any other mods you have done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.