Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a problem, im not sure which i should chose, help?:suspiciou
is there any differences on the 2010 and 2011 models i should know about that make it worth the upgrade ?

2010 IS350 RWD
-real wheel drive, i cant drive in the snow and it has less traction when taking off
-50$ less on my monthly payment
-nicer rims for some reason (i think their brushed aluminum?) they changed the 2011's rims:pissed:
-might have other features the 2011 doesn't but im not sure..

2011 IS350 AWD
-all wheel drive, safer in the snow and more traction
-50$ more on my monthly payment
-has the LEDs on the bottom of the headlights
-feels like they changed the programing of the engine cause it felt in the test drive like this one was more responsive? unless it was just in my head... what do you think ?

BOTH
-have the same packages and features (nav, luxury package,etc)

if you want to talk to me personally, find my AIM screen name on my profile and hit me up or email me your opinions/comments. thanks

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
is there any differences on the 2010 and 2011 models i should know about that make it worth the upgrade ?

2010 IS350 RWD
-real wheel drive, i cant drive in the snow and it has less traction when taking off
-nicer rims for some reason (i think their brushed aluminum?) they changed the 2011's rims:pissed:

2011 IS350 AWD
-feels like they changed the programing of the engine cause it felt in the test drive like this one was more responsive? unless it was just in my head... what do you think ?

BOTH

if you want to talk to me personally, find my AIM screen name on my profile and hit me up or email me your opinions/comments. thanks

With good SNOW tires (not all seasons) the RWD 350 drives just fine in the snow... and the majority of the year you aren't in the snow will offer better performance and mileage.

The LED DRLs on the 2011 also means you lose AFS too.

2011 saw a number of cosmetic changes (which should be obvious looking at either) but no difference in the engine.

I'd certainly get the RWD one if it were me... A car needs a lot more power than the IS350 has to be traction limited in most driving conditions so AWD is a total waste unless you either drive in snow MOST of the time (or drive off-road most of the time).

·
Registered
2 Posts

2010 IS350 RWD

2011 IS350 AWD

BOTH

Did you stick with the OEM wheels on your 2011? Lexus has been giving me grief about the fit of some of the optional wheels they offer on the RWD when it comes to the AWD (the 5 spoke split in particular).

Their reason is beyond just the same size wheels on the front and back

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With good SNOW tires (not all seasons) the RWD 350 drives just fine in the snow... and the majority of the year you aren't in the snow will offer better performance and mileage.

The LED DRLs on the 2011 also means you lose AFS too.

2011 saw a number of cosmetic changes (which should be obvious looking at either) but no difference in the engine.

I'd certainly get the RWD one if it were me... A car needs a lot more power than the IS350 has to be traction limited in most driving conditions so AWD is a total waste unless you either drive in snow MOST of the time (or drive off-road most of the time).
yeah i feel like i should go with the RWD but i need to get to school when it snows in the winter months, its usually not that much snow, but my dad was driving RWD last year in the snow and almost crashed into a pole if the curb didn't stop his sliding.

Did you stick with the OEM wheels on your 2011? Lexus has been giving me grief about the fit of some of the optional wheels they offer on the RWD when it comes to the AWD (the 5 spoke split in particular).

Their reason is beyond just the same size wheels on the front and back
yeah im sticking with the OEM rims/wheels, i might buy rims from somewhere else later on

·
Registered
137 Posts
AWD would certainly help in the snow, but, as the other poster stated – the RWD 350 with snow tires does just fine as well. So - Is the 2010 in the color and options that you want? Is the AWD worth the extra $50 a month to you? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AWD would certainly help in the snow, but, as the other poster stated – the RWD 350 with snow tires does just fine as well. So - Is the 2010 in the color and options that you want? Is the AWD worth the extra $50 a month to you? :)
yeah well there both in black on black the way i want it, but the AWD drive has the rear spoiler which liked about it also and i dont have to worry about buying snow tires.. but well see im going to my dealership tomorrow to finalize my decision.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
yeah well there both in black on black the way i want it, but the AWD drive has the rear spoiler which liked about it also and i dont have to worry about buying snow tires.. but well see im going to my dealership tomorrow to finalize my decision.
AWD without snow tires will be worse in snow than RWD with real snow tires.

Even if you were worried about cost of tires anyway, the $50 month cheaper payment and the 2-3 mpg the RWD saves you over the AWD will pay for em over time.

Even better, get the snows put on a cheap set of wheels at discount tire and they'll swap em on and off for free at the start and end of snow season.

(rear spoiler is like $300 if you wanna add that later BTW, or 6 months of the payment savings by going RWD)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, you guys must really love the feel of RWD on this forum huh ? haha.
im still debating, what are the changes of the 2010 models to the 2011 ? any cosmetic changes ?
also, i heard the RWD makes the car about 0.1 second faster on the 0-60 due to the lighter weight.. im just getting my self more and more confused and i have to decide by tomorrow cause my lease is up on my older lexus rx !

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
hmm, you guys must really love the feel of RWD on this forum huh ? haha.
im still debating, what are the changes of the 2010 models to the 2011 ? any cosmetic changes ?
also, i heard the RWD makes the car about 0.1 second faster on the 0-60 due to the lighter weight.. im just getting my self more and more confused and i have to decide by tomorrow cause my lease is up on my older lexus rx !
It's more than AWD is largely unnecessary for a car that'll be driven 100% of the time on paved roads and only had 300 hp.

You're adding a bunch of weight and mileage/performance-killing parts for almost no gain.

AWD is great if driving on uneven surfaces (off road, mud, etc) but very few folks drive an IS350 in those conditions much if ever.

AWD is great if the car has 500+ hp such that it's traction limited by only driving 2 wheels, but again this isn't the IS350.

AWD can be useful if you spend most of the year covered in snow with tons of hills... but again, 99% of IS350 drivers will see snow for anywhere from 0% of the time to maybe a couple months of the year and will be fine with snow tires for those couple months, and enjoy better mileage and performance 100% of the time compared to AWD.

Anyway, 2010->2011 saw a number of cosmetic changes (no performance or functional changes other than they added LED DRLs and they deleted several options that are no longer available in 2011... no more AFS, no more PCS, no more memory seat on the passenger side as examples)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyway, 2010->2011 saw a number of cosmetic changes (no performance or functional changes other than they added LED DRLs and they deleted several options that are no longer available in 2011... no more AFS, no more PCS, no more memory seat on the passenger side as examples)...
what were the cosmetic changes ? i don't really notice them from any pictures i can find.. :confused:

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
what were the cosmetic changes ? i don't really notice them from any pictures i can find.. :confused:
The headlights are probably the most obvious... the wheels are different too.

Steering wheel, some grill/trim/tail stuff... here's a LONG thread where the first 2011 pics were posted on CL with folks noticing various things-

2011 LEXUS IS facelift - Club Lexus Forums

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey guys thanks for all the help deciding, and you all convinced me to go with the RWD and i listened. i just picked up my new 2010 is350 RWD today and driving it home it feels like such an amazing drive. i cant wait to stick around on this forum as my days go by with my baby, from day one to the last day of my lease (36 months) ill be on this forum keeping in touch with my fellow IS owners. thanks for all the help and here is a picture of my car right before pulling out of the dealership !

ps: i also got my dealer to get down to 520$/month which is 80$ less then the AWD 2011 because he didn't have any 2011 in stock when he told me he would, so he gave me a better price on the 2010. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
the AWD would have been a no-brainer for me. Better overall traction and driving performance in various condition. Oh well, dont care for gen 2 at all, so not my problem

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
the AWD would have been a no-brainer for me. Better overall traction and driving performance in various condition. Oh well, dont care for gen 2 at all, so not my problem
"better overall traction" is only useful when the vehicle is traction limited.

Which most IS drivers aren't most of the time.

First, much of the country doesn't see snow/ice for any significant amount of the year at all.

Even then, the ones that do, generally only see it for a couple of months of the year.

Even then AWD only really helps for starting from a dead stop- it does exactly nothing to help braking for instance.

Even then, those folks will do just fine on snow tires with RWD, just like most of the country did for most of the last 100 years before AWD became common.

And those RWD guys will get to enjoy superior mileage, performance, and handling for the majority of the year they are NOT driving in snow and ice.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would think the resale value on the AWD would make it worthwhile. That would seperate it from all the 06 and newer RWD's out there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
lurker here

i've driven an 04 IS300 w/ LSD and snow tires (technically "all weather" whatever - Nokian WR) for quite a few years and have had no problems. to put in context, i'm in vancouver, bc, canada. we don't stereotypically get a lot of snow but since i've had the car we've had at least 2 major snow storms (2006) and i've been good in both. we also have a lot of hills in our area so it's not just flat snowy roads.

i'm looking to get a 2011 IS350AWD for my wife because we need two snow-capable cars. her G35 sedan was useless and required a very fine touch to get going in the snow at best (that being said, the G35 never got full on snow tires).

we debated about getting an IS350RWD due to the limited availability of the AWD and put on full snows. is AWD worth it for the 2 weeks (maybe) of snow we see here? i dunno, but it's peace of mind. 80-90% of the 2IS in this area are IS250AWD O_O of course probably without snow tires........

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
lurker here

i've driven an 04 IS300 w/ LSD and snow tires (technically "all weather" whatever - Nokian WR) for quite a few years and have had no problems. to put in context, i'm in vancouver, bc, canada. we don't stereotypically get a lot of snow but since i've had the car we've had at least 2 major snow storms (2006) and i've been good in both. we also have a lot of hills in our area so it's not just flat snowy roads.

i'm looking to get a 2011 IS350AWD for my wife because we need two snow-capable cars. her G35 sedan was useless and required a very fine touch to get going in the snow at best (that being said, the G35 never got full on snow tires).
RWD with snow tires > AWD with all-seasons. Tires make a lot more difference than which wheels are driven.

we debated about getting an IS350RWD due to the limited availability of the AWD and put on full snows. is AWD worth it for the 2 weeks (maybe) of snow we see here?

No, it's really not.

You'll get 2-3 mpg worse mileage the other 50 weeks of the year, not to mention a slower car that doesn't handle as well due to extra weight in normal conditions (which again is most of the year)

If you want real piece of mind then get good SNOW tires for the snow season and enjoy the benefits of RWD the other 95% of the year. Not to mention the several thousand bucks you'll save on the price of the car.

The reason you mostly see AWD Lexus cars in snowy areas is Lexus assumes (correctly from what I've seen) that the average driver is too lazy to change tires and doesn't know any better about what he's giving up by buying AWD.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I lived in Colorado Springs Colorado for 3 Winters, and there was no comparison between RWD with 4 studded Snows and AWD with 4 studded snows. We had both. We lived off Briargate, which is one long hill from Academy. This was at about 7,000 feet and we had snow and ice off and on from end of October till April while we were there.
The Locals there told me to use reverse to stop, and believe me it worked, and worked best with AWD. So whatever tires you think you will use, 4 WD or AWD is well worth it when the weather turns nasty.
My 2 cents from experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
we debated about getting an IS350RWD due to the limited availability of the AWD and put on full snows. is AWD worth it for the 2 weeks (maybe) of snow we see here? i dunno, but it's peace of mind. 80-90% of the 2IS in this area are IS250AWD O_O of course probably without snow tires........
For our area, AWD more common so they bring it in. For RWD, it's more like a special order and high chances it is harder to negociate a deal which has to be brought in compared to a car which is already on the lot.

I have seen IS350 AWDs so far. One inside the show room at Lexus of Bellevue, another being loaded off the trailer (with the white packaging stuff on the car) at Lexus of Bellevue for delivery, and a third one was on the freeway. I have see the Ultra Sonic Blue which is F-Sport Equipped in the show room as well, which is RWD.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts