Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked the car at home 6:30pm Friday night after work. No issues at all. Did not use it Saturday. Sunday going to run an errand and it started, ran, and then died a few seconds later. So I tried to start it again and it just lit up the display. No fuel pump priming. Just clicks and display going through its process. I tried it the next day. Start, runs perfectly, and dies 3-5 seconds later. Connected an OBD2 scanner. The scanner powers up through the cable link. Click on diagnose and reply comes back an error message: 1 Make sure the connection is tight and secure. 2. Make sure the key is ON. 3. Communication error. 4. Check to see if vehicle is OBD2 compliant.

So I tried the scanner on another car and it works as it should. Btw I replaced the in tank fuel pump. Car still does the same thing: Starts, runs perfectly, then dies a few seconds later. Will do the same thing after every 2 hours or so of sitting. Anyone experienced this and had it resolved?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
65000 mi. I'll check that sensor. I started leaning towards the ECU because of no communication with the OBD2. Thank you for the advice. I will be extremely happy if it was just that sensor.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,927 Posts
65000 mi. I'll check that sensor. I started leaning towards the ECU because of no communication with the OBD2. Thank you for the advice. I will be extremely happy if it was just that sensor.
When you press the key on to try and start the car I bet your check engine light DOESN’T come on does it?

90% sure it is. When they fail, they short out and essentially draw too much power and puts the ECU to “sleep.”

You can test this by opening up the ECU box which is on the driver side near the radiator area. When you standing in front of the car looking at all the wiring connectors. You will want to disconnect the FURTHEST LEFT connector that is CLOSEST to the engine. Essentially the “TOP LEFT” connector.

After doing this go back into the car and try to start it and note 2 things:

1. Does the fuel pump prime?
2. Is the check engine light back on?

If yes, replace the fuel pressure sensor AND harness attached to it. It is a very common failure with the 2is. They used to be $400-$500, idk how much they are these days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts