Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here in Chicago this morning Toyota unveiled the redesigned 2008 Highlander with the mantra Bigger! Wider! Safer! As you might imagine, the new crossover is larger in all dimensions, with a more powerful 3.5L V6 now cranking out 270 hp, 55hp more than the old one. It is still based on the Camry platform, although now it's the most recent edition, which is three inches longer and four inches wider. The ground clearance is also increased by and inch and the wheelbase gets three extra inches. As for the new styling, if you squint you can see a passing resemblance in the front end to the new 2007 Tundra.

The biggest emphasis though was on safety. All Highlanders now have side curtain airbags for all three rows of seats as well as a knee bag for the driver. All will also get ABS, traction control, brake assist and stability control. The front end of the vehicle has special crush zones built in so that the next time you run over a pedestrian they have a slightly better chance of survival. In addition, the two upper trim levels get a rear facing video camera with a dedicated display that's not shared with the navigation system. The Toyota press release is after the jump with more details, and information on the new Highlander Hybrid and it's EV-only mode is over on AutoBlogGreen.

i think it looks pretty nice. Almost makes me wanna trade-in my new grand cherokee.

·
Registered
949 Posts
it has a bit of a Subaru Forester vibe going on in the back end. not bad, but as with Toyota, not a stand out either.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Looks like a Kia! The wheelbase seems way too short because of the HUGE
fender work and super small wheel arches. The front bumper overhang is
gross too..

I sincerely congratulate Toyota for mastering "The Bland"!!!! :approve: :confused:

j

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Looks like a Kia! The wheelbase seems way too short because of the HUGE
fender work and super small wheel arches. The front bumper overhang is
gross too..

I sincerely congratulate Toyota for mastering "The Bland"!!!! :approve: :confused:

j
Kia is Korean, so it seems wr're both on the right track. :lol:

Toyota is bland. Toyota is vanilla ice cream. It doesn't offend people, the vast majority of people like it, etc. It equals sales. Toyota didn't get to be (soon to be...) the #1 automaker in the world without mastering something... :)

I mean, it isn't really bad, but it isn't good either...just bland. It'll blend right in with everything else on the road, and itself since it'll probably be a best seller, beat only probably by its little brother, the Rav4 (likely to be the same, just a 3/4 of the size of this).

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Kia is Korean, so it seems wr're both on the right track. :lol:

Toyota is bland. Toyota is vanilla ice cream. It doesn't offend people, the vast majority of people like it, etc. It equals sales. Toyota didn't get to be (soon to be...) the #1 automaker in the world without mastering something... :)

I mean, it isn't really bad, but it isn't good either...just bland. It'll blend right in with everything else on the road, and itself since it'll probably be a best seller, beat only probably by its little brother, the Rav4.
Toyota is purely in it for money. People like us who sit on car forums all day don't appeal to toyota, but for the VAST majority this is what they want... and it sells.

But I do not like this new highlander at all.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Front is good...side lines are good as well, however, the rear umm..not so sure. First thing came into my mind was KIA.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't like it much...the interior's very nice, though. I wonder if the next RX (the Highlander's Lexus twin) would follow the same route of blandness and unimpressive design execution.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I see a lot of Rav4 design on the outside. Overall, not too bad, but as others have said, a bit of a yawner for styling.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
One ugly thing for sure. But I guess that's the style that they choose to go with.

As far as previous comment on RX350, I think it looks pretty good.

·
27,116 Posts
Hmm... some of the bodylines look really awkward in the photos... but maybe it looks better in real life. Looks like a cross between a Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav 4... with a bit of Toyota truck styling qualities.

I really thought they were gonna discontinue the Highlander after the Rav4 got so much bigger and more powerful. But I guess the idea was just to move the Highlander more upscale. I would still prefer the RX350 to this tho.

What's the price difference between the RX350 and this latest Highlander?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hmm... some of the bodylines look really awkward in the photos... but maybe it looks better in real life. Looks like a cross between a Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav 4... with a bit of Toyota truck styling qualities.

I really thought they were gonna discontinue the Highlander after the Rav4 got so much bigger and more powerful. But I guess the idea was just to move the Highlander more upscale. I would still prefer the RX350 to this tho.

What's the price difference between the RX350 and this latest Highlander?
~10K.

I will probably getting this again, when mine gets old. My biggest issue with the RX and ES is that they are built in Canada. If this new HL is still built in Japan, I'd be happy to get it again.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I don't like the looks of that much. The small round reflectors/lights in the rear bumper look Pontiac Grand Am ish. Exterior is "chunky" for lack of a better word.

Whats with the separate climate control screen? Its too small, and hard to see. With the Navigation already in place, why not just use that screen to display climate functions, just like the Lexus cars do now?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We have a 2002 Toyota Highlander and love it.

But this one is super nice, such a good bargin. I rather get this then the more expensive Lexus RX350 and put the $10k saved into my pocket.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
We have a 2002 Toyota Highlander and love it.

But this one is super nice, such a good bargin. I rather get this then the more expensive Lexus RX350 and put the $10k saved into my pocket.
Pricing has not been released yet.

Although I assume that it will go up a bit since some creature comforts become standard for certain models. I hope all airbags are standard now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts