Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying one to repair and get back on the road. The car has low compression and had over heated at 170K miles. I can get it for about 1K.
Any concerns with this or anything else I should look at.

·
Registered
815 Posts
All aluminum engine overheat usually means the block and heads are warped, so full machinework would need to be done to get them back in shape.

If I were you, I'd plan on a full engine replacement.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
302 Posts
yeah a engine replacement would be best. not hard to do on these and the engine prices are still low. your gonna be spending around 4k to get it running if going to shop. would still e worth it for the long term if everything else is good but at 170K bushings are going bad if it hasn't had a refresh.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah a engine replacement would be best. not hard to do on these and the engine prices are still low. your gonna be spending around 4k to get it running if going to shop. would still e worth it for the long term if everything else is good but at 170K bushings are going bad if it hasn't had a refresh.
Planning on doing it myself. Any recommendations on good suppliers for a low mileage 4GR-FSE?

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
302 Posts
honestly anyone local who can do a compression/leak down while you are there is best. ive ordered engines online that looked good but had major issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts