Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on either getting a Fully Loaded 2007 IS350 Black w/ Beige Interior vs a 2008 G37 but it's stock because me nor my mom can't find a good price on a loaded one (yet). I'm kind of in a rush to get my first car, but should I wait it out for the G37? I just want to know like the pros and cons of each vehicle if you guys can help me out, thanks

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I plan on either getting a Fully Loaded 2007 IS350 Black w/ Beige Interior vs a 2008 G37 but it's stock because me nor my mom can't find a good price on a loaded one (yet). I'm kind of in a rush to get my first car, but should I wait it out for the G37? I just want to know like the pros and cons of each vehicle if you guys can help me out, thanks
Excluding price from the equation as they stand the 350 is a better vehicle in virtually every way.

Any 350 you're looking at is probably not fully loaded though, it's extremely rare to find one that actually is. A lot of folks assume if it's got nav that's "loaded" when there's about $15000 in other options available apart from navigation.

But anyway, the 350 is faster, more reliable, nicer interior, better resale, better mileage, better optional sound system.

The G will have a more advanced nav system available from the factory, and assuming you're talking G37 sedan probably a touch more rear legroom.... that's about it for pros on the G.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
No, it IS fully loaded, trust me pal. But no, I was talkign about the G37 Coupe BTW, sorry about that.

Ok... got any pics? Because as I say, that'd be extremely rare. As in I've seen hundreds of IS350s on the forums over the years and of those exactly 2 were actually fully loaded (and dozens were ones people thought were when they posted)

Anyway, I see even less value in the coupe unless you really love the look of it, since you lose most of the rear-room advantage the G37 sedan has, and you still have an inferior interior, mileage, resale, reliability, and a slower, heavier car. Really only plus there is a better nav system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I have asked it on te G37 forum, ha. Maybe it isn't fully loaded? But perhaps you can tell me because I have not done much research on it. I know A LOT more about the G35/G37 coupes. But I'll give you the link anyways, and you can tell me.

Open Road BMW

Click Lexus, it's the Black 2007 model.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Yea, I have asked it on te G37 forum, ha. Maybe it isn't fully loaded? But perhaps you can tell me because I have not done much research on it. I know A LOT more about the G35/G37 coupes. But I'll give you the link anyways, and you can tell me.

Open Road BMW

Yup, nowhere near fully loaded.

The good news is is had the Sport Package, which I'm a big fan of, and is itself relatively uncommon.

But it doesn't appear to have:

Mark Levinson (7.1 surround, 14 speakers and DVD playback versus the stereo/CD-only factory audio system)

PCS (radar cruise control and a few bits that go with it)

Rear spoiler

Things I'm not sure if it has from the pics:

XM radio (you'd need to either check the trunk, or try it yourself by pressing the SAT button and seeing if it receives a satellite signal)

Park Assist (it kinda looks like it might have this from one of the front pics, but not sure, and there's no rear bumper pic that'd be a clearer indicator)

So basically it's optioned with:

Sports package
Headlight washers (I think that's what I see to left of steering wheel in the dash pic)

(and possibly XM and PA)

Anyway, if I could only get ONE option on an IS350, it'd be the sports package, so that's a good thing :)

If buying new the G offers 2 main pros vs. the IS350 (apart from the personal opinion thing on liking a coupe vs. a sedan):

Better nav system (though the 2010 IS finally improves its system to be a lot closer)

and

Cheaper price

Since you're buying used the price isn't much of a factor... while faster, better mileage, better relaibility, better interior, better resale, all of which favor the IS, probably should be factors.

About the only other thing to consider is if you were wanting to mod the car a bunch of additional power- in which case you have nearly zero options there on the 350, but you do have some forced induction options on the G.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks KnightShade. It does have Navigation, but is that included with the Sports Package? If not, then I'm guessing it has several other options that you did not include. Anyhow, my mom informed me that she heard something about Lexus 07' models having something wrong with their brakes? When I test drove that 07' IS350, is made a ghastly noise when I braked going slow, however going fast and slowing down seemed a little less noticeable. You guys know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
No, it IS fully loaded, trust me pal. But no, I was talkign about the G37 Coupe BTW, sorry about that.

Open Road BMW

This is NOT fully loaded, not even close!!

Radar cruise, ML, rear spoiler, parking sensor, rear sunshade is NOT in there.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Thanks KnightShade. It does have Navigation, but is that included with the Sports Package? If not, then I'm guessing it has several other options that you did not include. Anyhow, my mom informed me that she heard something about Lexus 07' models having something wrong with their brakes? When I test drove that 07' IS350, is made a ghastly noise when I braked going slow, however going fast and slowing down seemed a little less noticeable. You guys know anything about this?
I am pretty sure it has Navi, Sport pack and premium pack I believe.

It has tilt steering wheel and memory seat.

I have never heard any brake problem with IS350.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
The sports package includes a number of features (like the power tilt steering and memory seats).

Navigation isn't part of any package, it's a stand-alone option. It has several features like the backup camera and bluetooth, but these aren't available otherwise so it's not like they're "extra", they're simply features of the navigation option.

Anyway, the car is a base model with the following options added (for sure)

navigation
sports package
park assist (since you confirmed this but it wasn't clear from the pics)
headlight washers (which I think I see the switch for in the pic)

It's 100% for sure missing:

PCS
Mark Levinson
Rear spoiler

It might also be missing XM but can't tell from the pics.

Note- it doesn't have the premium package- the premium package is woodgrain (which the car lacks and you can't get with the sports package anyway) and heated/vented seats (which you already get in the sports package)

As to the brakes- There was a recall for a stuck rear caliper pin, that's the only real "problem" I'm aware of, and of course it'd be fixed free under warranty.

there's also a service notice that if you dislike the dusty front brakes you can get a free new set of pads from Lexus that are low dust, but that's not really a "problem"

Oh, and the rear sunshade isn't available by itself as an option either... it only comes in the Luxury package. You can't get both sport and luxury, it's one or the other, and the majority of features in each overlap.

Sport package ALSO has:
Sport suspension
Sport pedals
Aluminum scuff plates

Lux has:
Woodgrain, illuminated scuff plates, and power rear sunshade, but none of the sport package features I just listed above.

The scuff plates are 5 minutes to swap onto a sport package car... the woodgrain is ugly on this car IMHO. So basically you lose the sunshade but gain the sports suspension and the sport pedals- pretty good trade IMHO.

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
Is it fair to compare a G37 coupe to an IS350 sedan?

I can only speak for the G37 sedan... because it's the only one I checked out. But basically I only see there being two reasons for buying a G37 over an IS350. Firstly the G37 provides more bang for the buck and is cheaper... and secondly... the G37 provides a more involving driving experience. Otherwise I believe the IS350 is a better car.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
do you by any chance know the spring rates for the regular and sport suspension?

have you driven both a regular and sport equipped IS? were you able to perceive a difference in handling?
I've never seen a reliable listing of the sport suspension rates... the regular ones are posted on fsport.com among other places.

I've read a few other places the sport suspension is about 5-10% stiffer, fairly minor, but noticeable to my perception... plus the slight front drop helps a touch as well. The sport package with the F-sport sways is about exactly what I want out of the car handling wise (still need to upgrade the OEM tires but the stupid things haven't worn out yet for me)

I'd recommend test driving both if possible (if you can find a car with the X package that'll be sport suspension as well and is usually easier to find for a test drive than a "sport package" car)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.