Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 2006 IS250, and when I went to start it today I noticed that after adjusting the climate the nav screen went black. After trying to press different buttons not on the screen (voice command, radio controls, climate off, auto, etc.) none of them would work either. A few seconds later the car turned off and said "CHECK VSC". After trying to restart the car, the brake pedal doesn't really press. Thinking back I don't really remember if the car started in the first place, I think it just stayed in accessory mode. After exiting the car it did lock though. This is my first car and I've only had it for about a month. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it fine before or did this happen all of a sudden. Also other than what you did that day. Has anything happened to it or been changed or worked on?
It's been fine every time I've started it up until now. I haven't done anything different or had it worked on, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently bought my 2006 IS250, and when I went to start it today I noticed that after adjusting the climate the nav screen went black. After trying to press different buttons not on the screen (voice command, radio controls, climate off, auto, etc.) none of them would work either. A few seconds later the car turned off and said "CHECK VSC". After trying to restart the car, the brake pedal doesn't really press. Thinking back I don't really remember if the car started in the first place, I think it just stayed in accessory mode. After exiting the car it did lock though. This is my first car and I've only had it for about a month. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I think I know exactly what is going on with your IS250. The exact same thing happened to my daughter's 2006 IS250 and left her stranded at work (twice). I'll cut to the chase. The NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE. There is even a Lexus TSB on it. Pull your battery out, and remove the tray. Look underneath it and you will see where the negative battery cable is connected to the chassis. Unscrew it and you will probably see that the threads inside were painted the same color as your car. That cable eventually fails to provide and adequate ground and your car will do exactly what you described. I didn't have a metric tap to chase the threads and clean out the paint, so I used a dental pick. I also scratched the paint away around the top of the hole down to bare metal. I reconnected the battery cable and put some dialectric grease over top of the bolt to hopefully prevent any rust from my paint removal. I did this repair about a year ago, and I have not had an issue with it sense. I was afraid that I was going to have to buy a new ECU or something crazy, but I found the TSB, and it worked! I'll buy you a beer if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
457 Posts
That could be true above. My Lexus (while not the same issue) wouldn’t start about a month ago out of no where. Went to chipotle, came out and tried to start the car. I got nothing. Lights came on, all warning lights on the dash came on, aftermarket radio would turn on then cut off at random. I thought right away, dead battery. Or loose cables. It was odd though because there were no signs of a dying battery (starts were fast and sure!)

long story short, I had my buddy come and jumpstart the Car. It started right up, hopped on the freeway, as I’m driving 80mph, everything goes black inside the car. NOW I KNOW THE CABLES are the the problem. So thé next day, sure enough the positive cable was loose because it was physically worn out and eroded. Got a new cable. SAME BATTERY, problem solved.

ok my story was long, sorry. Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts