Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to this site, but I'm coming up on my 60K maintenance for my 2006 IS250 AWD, and the dealer quoted ~$1300, which seems pretty ridiculous. I'm sure much of that cost goes to the "extensive" visual inspection. From what I can tell, it sounds like all I'd really need to do is the Air Filter, Oil Change, Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid Change, and possibly Differential Oil. I figure most of that I can do myself, although I'd have them do the brake fluid change and maybe the diff fluid.

My question is, it mentions the Diff oil change is only required if you have LSD equipped, how do you know if you have a LSD? I couldn't find it browsing through the manual...

Also, I noticed you're never required to change the tranny fluid (my manual says it's only required on ES and LS's that are used for towing). I know some people say you never need to change the tranny fluid on auto transmissions, but my car seems to have a somewhat jumpy 1-2 shift (sometimes if I'm rolling though a stop sign and don't quite make a complete stop) so I was wondering if changing the fluid could help. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
It is physically impossible to change a significant amount of the transmission fluid

Regarding the diff, none (in us models anyway) have an LSD

Rwd models never call for a diff fluid change, not positive if awd ones call for a change on the center diff but manual should tell you

Hey, I'm new to this site, but I'm coming up on my 60K maintenance for my 2006 IS250 AWD, and the dealer quoted ~$1300, which seems pretty ridiculous. I'm sure much of that cost goes to the "extensive" visual inspection. From what I can tell, it sounds like all I'd really need to do is the Air Filter, Oil Change, Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid Change, and possibly Differential Oil. I figure most of that I can do myself, although I'd have them do the brake fluid change and maybe the diff fluid.

My question is, it mentions the Diff oil change is only required if you have LSD equipped, how do you know if you have a LSD? I couldn't find it browsing through the manual...

Also, I noticed you're never required to change the tranny fluid (my manual says it's only required on ES and LS's that are used for towing). I know some people say you never need to change the tranny fluid on auto transmissions, but my car seems to have a somewhat jumpy 1-2 shift (sometimes if I'm rolling though a stop sign and don't quite make a complete stop) so I was wondering if changing the fluid could help. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Knightshade. Have you heard of the jumpy 1-2 shift? I've also noticed when it's cold in the winter it sometimes stays in a lower gear longer, like it won't shift to 6th right away. Once it's warmed up it seems fine, but it takes a while... I was wondering if it does that to keep the revs up to warm the engine? It happens even when the ECT is in normal mode...

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Thanks, Knightshade. Have you heard of the jumpy 1-2 shift? I've also noticed when it's cold in the winter it sometimes stays in a lower gear longer, like it won't shift to 6th right away. Once it's warmed up it seems fine, but it takes a while... I was wondering if it does that to keep the revs up to warm the engine? It happens even when the ECT is in normal mode...
Yup it won't go into 6th until it warms up enough you can notice it even on a warmer day if you cold-start the car and get right on a highway... It'll sit revving higher in 5th for a couple minutes before allowing sixth

Haven't personally run into any 1-2 shift roughness though

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup it won't go into 6th until it warms up enough you can notice it even on a warmer day if you cold-start the car and get right on a highway... It'll sit revving higher in 5th for a couple minutes before allowing sixth

Haven't personally run into any 1-2 shift roughness though
I feel my car have the same problem: shift roughness at 1-2 and 2-3, when I drive the car in the high way, stopped in traffic, release the break pedal, the car moving slowly from 1 shift, when the RPM going up to around 1500, then RPM back to 1200, meanwhile shift to 2, and also you feel the car roughness or sluggish, shift 2 to 3 almost same thing, no matter the car is warm or cold, but if you give little bit gas, you can't feel that. I am not sure this is transmission issue or change the transmission fluid can fix it. (the car is in 123,000Km for now)

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I feel my car have the same problem: shift roughness at 1-2 and 2-3, when I drive the car in the high way, stopped in traffic, release the break pedal, the car moving slowly from 1 shift, when the RPM going up to around 1500, then RPM back to 1200, meanwhile shift to 2, and also you feel the car roughness or sluggish, shift 2 to 3 almost same thing, no matter the car is warm or cold, but if you give little bit gas, you can't feel that. I am not sure this is transmission issue or change the transmission fluid can fix it. (the car is in 123,000Km for now)
As I mentioned in the other thread, it's not possible to change the fluid. (nor is it required, it's a lifetime fluid).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with the transmission and i bought my car to the dealer. I have a '06 IS250 AWD and they told me the transmission is no good. I also had the check engine light on and the check VSC light on. So, I'm looking to replacing the transmission as we speak.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I had the same problem with the transmission and i bought my car to the dealer. I have a '06 IS250 AWD and they told me the transmission is no good. I also had the check engine light on and the check VSC light on. So, I'm looking to replacing the transmission as we speak.
did they say what was no good on it? would be the first bad transmission in an automatic IS I've read about so pretty curious what exactly failed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have some questions for you:
1. If you known the car with the transmission issue, why do you want to buy it? or you owned the car, then you found the transmission problem?
2. How much $ for replacing the transmission

1 - 9 of 9 Posts