Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mr.Is300 said:
Doesnt the new corvette have the all-new LS2 engine?
Yes. See above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,506 Posts
jruhi4 said:
Let me clarify (I think) this whole mess of alphanumerics that are leading to mass confusion:

C5: The current, 5th-generation Corvette which has just gone out of production.

C6: The new, slightly smaller, restyled Corvette which should hit the streets within the next couple of months.

C7: The name for the NEXT generation Corvette, which should go on sale no earlier than 2009-2010.

LS1: The 5.7 liter, 350 hp V8 which powered the regular "targa" coupe & convertible versions of the C5 Corvette.

LS2: The above engine, enlarged to 6 liters, 400 hp. It powers the new C6 Corvette (and 2005 Pontiac GTO & Chevrolet SSR)

LS6: The high-output, 5.7-liter, 405 hp V8 which powers the ZO6, notchback hardtop coupe version of the C5 Corvette

LS7: Somebody's guess as to the name that will be given to the 500 hp engine that is rumored to power the hottest version of the new C6 'Vette.

Clear?
You forgot to add that the LS1 powered the 1999-2000 hardtop model. FRC (Fixed Roof Coupe) :D

Also, here is some info about the "LS7" which will own!!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=871905
 

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ckolsen said:
Man, the GTO front end has gone from plain to ugly in one year.

is it really getting 400 hp? That's insane.
The hood scoops (which, I imagine, is what you're calling ugly) are described as AVAILABLE (thus, optional). I suspect they might even be non-functional, as there's no mention of extra power with them vs without them.

From what I've read, the hood scoops were added at the request of many older Baby Boomers bitching that the new GTO looked too plain and not enough like a "real" GTO.

And, yes, it WILL have 400 hp!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
DENVER_IS300 said:
jruhi4 said:
Let me clarify (I think) this whole mess of alphanumerics that are leading to mass confusion:

C5: The current, 5th-generation Corvette which has just gone out of production.

C6: The new, slightly smaller, restyled Corvette which should hit the streets within the next couple of months.

C7: The name for the NEXT generation Corvette, which should go on sale no earlier than 2009-2010.

LS1: The 5.7 liter, 350 hp V8 which powered the regular "targa" coupe & convertible versions of the C5 Corvette.

LS2: The above engine, enlarged to 6 liters, 400 hp. It powers the new C6 Corvette (and 2005 Pontiac GTO & Chevrolet SSR)

LS6: The high-output, 5.7-liter, 405 hp V8 which powers the ZO6, notchback hardtop coupe version of the C5 Corvette

LS7: Somebody's guess as to the name that will be given to the 500 hp engine that is rumored to power the hottest version of the new C6 'Vette.

Clear?
You forgot to add that the LS1 powered the 1999-2000 hardtop model. FRC (Fixed Roof Coupe) :D

Also, here is some info about the "LS7" which will own!!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=871905
Maybe the GTO "Judge" coming out next year will have the LS7 engine in it. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
Michael said:
Michael said:
Does the GTO also get Corvette's Active Handling? Any yaw control at all? Or just skid control?
Anyone??
Do you really think that GM is going to adapt those technologies to hoary (Think Opel/Catera) platform for a low volume (think poor selling) model that has a life expectancy of four model years?

Yeah, I'll have a double of what you are smoking! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,190 Posts
CRB said:
Michael said:
Michael said:
Does the GTO also get Corvette's Active Handling? Any yaw control at all? Or just skid control?
Anyone??
Do you really think that GM is going to adapt those technologies to hoary (Think Opel/Catera) platform for a low volume (think poor selling) model that has a life expectancy of four model years?

Yeah, I'll have a double of what you are smoking! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The technology is already there, and yaw control is really becoming pretty mainstream. But yes, let's BOTH have a double of whatever Pontiac was apparently smoking? Haven't researched the sales numbers for the GTO in '04 though..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Damn im gonna have to drive one of those when it comes out with that engine. That car with a 1inch drop and some HRE wheels :p :p :p . Does anyone know how much this car will cost with the "upgrade" drivetrain.
 

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Michael said:
Michael said:
Does the GTO also get Corvette's Active Handling? Any yaw control at all? Or just skid control?
Anyone??
Traction Control and a Limited-Slip Differential is all the GTO gets.
 

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Michael said:
Haven't researched the sales numbers for the GTO in '04 though..
Thus far, GTO is selling below even GM's modest expectations (18,000 cars a year).
 

·
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Joined
·
26,421 Posts
jruhi4 said:
Michael said:
Haven't researched the sales numbers for the GTO in '04 though..
Thus far, GTO is selling below even GM's modest expectations (18,000 cars a year).
Hence the new hood and ass. For some reason GM thought they could import a cool-ass car, change it enough to make it look like a Cavalier at first glance, and expect it to sell to American public who associate the three letter "GTO" with a bad-ass, mean-looking sports car.

Some local dealerships have taken to buying after-market chrome rims, the new hood, and putting double racing stripes on them. Looks better, but....... meh.

The pics of the newer one is decent.
 

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
jruhi4 said:
Michael said:
Haven't researched the sales numbers for the GTO in '04 though..
Thus far, GTO is selling below even GM's modest expectations (18,000 cars a year).
Just happened to stumble upon this on Australia's Drive.com.au:
Pontiac had hoped to sell 18,000 GTOs this year but at the current sales rate will shift (sell) only 7500.
http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2004/08/04/FFX52PSCGXD.html
 
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Top