Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Hoping you can help me figure out what this is that’s leaking on my IS300. It’s behind the engine on the bottom of the car, and is a relatively heavy leak. It looks like oil given that it’s the only fluid that appears to be low.
For reference, the picture was taken from underneath facing toward the front of the car. You can see my red jack in the bottom of the image supporting the crossmember. Any help appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
looks like the lines to and from the tranny cooler? Any chance the hose clips on something above it have let go or are loose? Or the ones on the flexi hose in front of those to the cooler?

Could even be rear main seal dripping onto it?

I would consider washing it all down with degreaser and drying it off so its fresh and dry and then drive it around and recheck to try and trace where its coming from. From what i remember on mine those are pretty much the lowest and rear most point so any oil tends to find its way there and look like its sprung a leak. It doesnt really look like trans oil (it looks brown not red), so i would assume engine oil but best to check and be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like the lines to and from the tranny cooler? Any chance the hose clips on something above it have let go or are loose? Or the ones on the flexi hose in front of those to the cooler?

Could even be rear main seal dripping onto it?

I would consider washing it all down with degreaser and drying it off so its fresh and dry and then drive it around and recheck to try and trace where its coming from. From what i remember on mine those are pretty much the lowest and rear most point so any oil tends to find its way there and look like its sprung a leak. It doesnt really look like trans oil (it looks brown not red), so i would assume engine oil but best to check and be sure.
Looked at it a bit more and it’s definitely dripping down from the rear main seal to there. Looks like it’s transmission-dropping time for me :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts