Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think $7000 is a good price for a salvage 2004 is300 5spd with the sportdesign package? Dealer says the damage is mostly cosmetic. But the low price of 7000 is leading me to think there has to be a catch. From what I see though it just needs new airbags, front bumper, rear tail light, a little bit of mechanical damage up front by the headlight, new driver side headlight and a little paint. Let me know what you guys think?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Jeezy85 said:
Do you think $7000 is a good price for a salvage 2004 is300 5spd with the sportdesign package? Dealer says the damage is mostly cosmetic. But the low price of 7000 is leading me to think there has to be a catch. From what I see though it just needs new airbags, front bumper, rear tail light, a little bit of mechanical damage up front by the headlight, new driver side headlight and a little paint. Let me know what you guys think?
to be a salvage car it must have been badly damaged in a accident.
the cosmetic items you have listed dont add up to that kind of coin. There must be exstensive underlying damage. I would pass this type of thing by. You would have nothing but problems with a car like this.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds way too good to be true. Like Lextech1 wrote, there is probably some other major issue with the car other than cosmetic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not worth it. It'll cost you at least $5K to fix all that (have you seen what our headlights cost?) and you'll still have a salvage car with very low resale value. You can buy a clean '01 (yeah, it's older, but they're the same car) with a straight title for a little more.

·
Registered
745 Posts
^^ If a 2004 IS300 SD is cpnsidered a salvage then it will cost much more than $5K to fix it. It will probably cost more than $5K to replace the parts alone not even counting labor. If it is only $5K to fix a $7K IS then it would be worth it cuz u just picked up a $30K+ car for 30 cents on the $.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Considering people are picking up new '05 IS's for well under $30K, I wouldn't call this one a $30K car. More like a $22K car. With a salvage title, cut that in half. Now, it's an $11K car if it's in clean running condition. Like I said, repairs will be "at least" $5K (I agree it's probably more than that, but depends on how much he can do himself). So, if you do the math, it's not worth it. The insurance companies know what they're doing when they dump these cars. Some dealer bought this thing at a salvage auction for $3K and is trying to find someone to milk a nice profit out of.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^I agree it wouldnt be worth it in that perspective, but what if I never planned to trade the car in or sell it( ride it till the wheels fall off sort of speak)

·
Registered
745 Posts
85eliminator said:
Considering people are picking up new '05 IS's for well under $30K, I wouldn't call this one a $30K car. More like a $22K car. With a salvage title, cut that in half. Now, it's an $11K car if it's in clean running condition. Like I said, repairs will be "at least" $5K (I agree it's probably more than that, but depends on how much he can do himself). So, if you do the math, it's not worth it. The insurance companies know what they're doing when they dump these cars. Some dealer bought this thing at a salvage auction for $3K and is trying to find someone to milk a nice profit out of.

My point is that it will cost more than $5K to fix

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
I will have to agree with Lextech1, pradda and 85eliminator. If I were you, I would stay away from that car. But if you're still interested, I would have the car throughly checked out to satisfy yourself.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Let me know the location. I may take it on as a project car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not all salvages are bad. could be theft recovery.. and being it had minor body damage guy probably hit a curb or brushed up against a tree.. there is many factors in salvage..
the best bet is to have someone inspect the frame for you and you look the car over yourself as well. test all on the car. and see what you can dig up on the salvage history yourself.
I seen alot of good legit deals that was salvage.
Insurance can tagg a car salvage if its stolen and driven a block away and parked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts