Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at the
Autoweek Link

I am graduating from grad school next May and its going to be a tough decision between a sporty luxury ride with high reliability and a stupidly fast car with AWD. And to top it off, the IS300 Manual Coupe should be around the same price as the Lancer EVO VII, ~$30k.

Dr1ft3r

·
Registered
571 Posts
you're just about in the same boat as me man.

as an owner of a hooked up 98 GSR, I used to not really care about interior noise and smoothness of a car, and therefore, the EVO was just my cup of tea.

however, just having bought a BMW 330i, the integra now is just too noisy and rides too harsh (even in stock form), and I promised myself to never buy something like that again. I'm pretty sure the EVO, even though its hella fast, will no way compare to the driving comfort of a BMW or Lexus, and in the long run, that becomes a major factor in how much you enjoy your car (because as well all know, we don't run our cars hard 100% of the time..sometimes, we're crusing and taking it slow, but however, having a comfy and nice quiet ride is something I want 100% of the time)

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: vvtipwr ]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by vvtipwr:
I'm pretty sure the EVO, even though its hella fast, will no way compare to the driving comfort of a BMW or Lexus, and in the long run, that becomes a major factor in how much you enjoy your car (because as well all know, we don't run our cars hard 100% of the time..sometimes, we're crusing and taking it slow, but however, having a comfy and nice quiet ride is something I want 100% of the time)

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: vvtipwr ]

Totally agree.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My cousin had an older beamer. Not too old but it was a 3-series and it was quiet loud for stock car. The exhuast was really annoying and he eventually got a 7-series to replace it. How odd. Nothing was wrong with the car either, it was just kinda annoying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pretty sure that my next car will be something on the rough side. While my parents drive an ES300, which is just amazing in ride and comfort, I want something a little more edgier, responsive, and noisier. I love the silence of the ES, but sometimes I want to hear the engine, like on my last car, Mistu Eclipse (N/A). The IS is a really good fit for me, since I'll get the quality, dealership supremecy of a Lexus, and an engine that I can actually hear, without having to roll the windows down. However, at the 30k price range, there are a lot of other nice cars out there too, EVO, WRX STI (future hopeful), 325Ci, and others that are not on the top of my head. I'm even thinking of going with something cheaper to satisfy my sports car urge, and save the rest towards my college loans
, used GS-R, Prelude, Eclipse GS-T/X, 3000GT, 300ZX, etc. Hopefully, after grad school, my financial situation will allow me many different options

Dr1ft3r

·
Registered
117 Posts
Once my lease is up on the IS (6/2003), I'm probably going to get something like a Mercedes E class and one of new, fast imports that will be showing up around that time. The E class or a Sport Ute will be the daily driver and the EVO/Z/whatever will be for when I want to drive hard. Thats the plan at least.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i have been debating this question for a while now. (this is gonna be long fella's). mitsu corp in japan is still debating how or if they will bring the evo state side. to keep it at 280bhp and make it emissions legal will cost more and they arent sure if americans are willing to pay the price for the car. $30000+. if they dont spend the money to keep it at 280bhp, then they arent sure if americans will buy a "weaker" car. i think i read 240bhp. now mitsu corp in america say its a go for next year. this will be interesting to see what will happen. this car is lighter and has more power that the wrx sti. i would get this over the wrx, but the choice between this and the is300 is gonna be hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
ronin
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing