Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2003 IS300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 is300 and it cranks but won't start. I have gas in the gas tank. I did the spark plug test and the spark plugs lit up. I checked the fuses and relays. I can smell fuel going into the chamber and see fuel on the spark plugs when I take them out to check. No check engine lights. I checked the timing marks. Just did the cam seals and crank seal. Car cranks but won't start. Checked the resistance on the crankshaft position sensor and it was good, checked the camshaft position sensor and the resistance was good. changed the fuel pump. Checked my timing marks again. Checked the fuses and relays again. Still only crank and no start. Crankshaft position sensor read 2k ohms. Checked fuel injectors resistance. None looked clogged or really dirty when I took them out. Can my timing be off somehow even tho my line marks all align correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is what is sounds like

· Registered
2003 IS300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ST
Was it running fine or did it start after you changed something?
Originally when I finished the cam seals and crankshaft seal it started up and I drove it a little and I got a check engine light for timing advanced P0011. I limped home because it wouldn't go past 20/25 mph and I parked it again . I wasn't able to work on it for a week. My brother tried moving it out of the driveway and said it would start.

Since then I have fixed the timing, changed out the vvti solenoid etc.

· Registered
2003 IS300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi, are you sure any of the teeth on the crank gear aren’t broken?

Unfortunately not... Unfortunately because then I could replace it with the spare I have.. :/

Does the gear have to be a certain distance from the engine/seal? Is there a spacer or anything between the seal and the gear? I haven't seen anything online about it.

· Registered
952 Posts
It could be either of these issues for your car not to start....spark, fuel, timing, compression. If you are sure your timing is right, then check spark and fuel next then lastly, compression.

· Registered
2003 IS300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could be either of these issues for your car not to start....spark, fuel, timing, compression. If you are sure your timing is right, then check spark and fuel next then lastly, compression.
I just think I gotta check compression... I'm probably gonna have to call a mobile mechanic. Unless anyone willing to help me out in Goodyear, AZ area? 😆

· Registered
2004 Lexus IS300
73 Posts
Unfortunately not... Unfortunately because then I could replace it with the spare I have.. :/

Does the gear have to be a certain distance from the engine/seal? Is there a spacer or anything between the seal and the gear? I haven't seen anything online about it.
It only goes in as far back as it goes (with nothing behind it). But yea, a compression test sounds like a good idea.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2003 is300 and it cranks but won't start. I have gas in the gas tank. I did the spark plug test and the spark plugs lit up. I checked the fuses and relays. I can smell fuel going into the chamber and see fuel on the spark plugs when I take them out to check. No check engine lights. I checked the timing marks. Just did the cam seals and crank seal. Car cranks but won't start. Checked the resistance on the crankshaft position sensor and it was good, checked the camshaft position sensor and the resistance was good. changed the fuel pump. Checked my timing marks again. Checked the fuses and relays again. Still only crank and no start. Crankshaft position sensor read 2k ohms. Checked fuel injectors resistance. None looked clogged or really dirty when I took them out. Can my timing be off somehow even tho my line marks all align correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is what is sounds like

Go back to the fuel pump and check how much pressure it's pumping if it's not pumping 60 or better you have to change just the fuel pump. That's what happened to me

· Registered
2003 IS300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go back to the fuel pump and check how much pressure it's pumping if it's not pumping 60 or better you have to change just the fuel pump. That's what happened to me

Imma look over everything again this weekend... I think I know what the problem is. I just need to confirm it.

By the way, if anyone needs repair manuals let me know.

· Registered
2003 IS300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can my timing marks be correct but my timing still be off? I've checked my lines at least three times by now but can the wrong cylinder be coming up at the wrong time? Also, My rpms don't move when trying start. Is that an issue?

· Registered
2004 Lexus IS300
73 Posts
Can my timing marks be correct but my timing still be off? I've checked my lines at least three times by now but can the wrong cylinder be coming up at the wrong time? Also, My rpms don't move when trying start. Is that an issue?
When you installed the belt, did you clock the vvti gear all the way clockwise? Meaning it was turned all the way to the right (clockwise) until it would not turn anymore. Then match up the line on the gear with the notch in the back and install the belt. Like in this video at the 5:25 mark.

If you are timing it with the crank at TDC, make sure the marks on the gears you are lining up are the lines (not the dots). Be very careful though, it is possible to bend a valve if done incorrectly. If it was done like in the video then the timing is fine. Around the 4:24 he starts talking about the the timing.

· Registered
2003 IS300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you installed the belt, did you clock the vvti gear all the way clockwise? Meaning it was turned all the way to the right (clockwise) until it would not turn anymore. Then match up the line on the gear with the notch in the back and install the belt. Like in this video at the 5:25 mark.

If you are timing it with the crank at TDC, make sure the marks on the gears you are lining up are the lines (not the dots). Be very careful though, it is possible to bend a valve if done incorrectly. If it was done like in the video then the timing is fine. Around the 4:24 he starts talking about the the timing.
Thank you for this video. I'm gonna go thru it and follow the instructions he has. Hopefully it resolves the issue. I'll update when I finish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts