Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not aware that the plugs for the different year models were different for the fog lights. I bought 2003 fog lights off someone from this forum, and apparently the plug from my car (2001 is300) does not fit into these fogs. whats up with that, is there a quick fix or am i screwed? I havn't seen this myself, but the guy at my bodyshop who's installing my stock front bumper told me that the fogs won't connect.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
They were different, in fact 2003 was the first year they were different. You can just cut off the connectors and put in some spade connectors or just solder them.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That sux!
Not 2 worry, I went thrU the same thing when I 1st got my IS3 ('03).
I purchased clear Altezza fogs, which R all 9006. During installation I was told the same thing; rewire the housing.
I sold'm a WK L8R & just learned 2 appreciate the Lexus combo of HID w/YLW fogs.
I know people on here have done the rewiring job tho; hopefully some1 will advise U...

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
spade or blade connectors are small electrical connectors that get crimped onto wires and can be fairly easily disconnected. There is a male end that is just a flat tab and a female end with curled over edges that hold the male end.

thats the female end, you can find them at just about any hardware or auto store.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if i get these connectors, do i need to solder anything? and which connector would i need, the spade or the blade? the male or female? i'm completely clueless, and how many of each?

or am i better off selling these and getting a 01/02 fog?

thx

·
Registered
703 Posts
so if i get these connectors, do i need to solder anything? and which connector would i need, the spade or the blade? the male or female? i'm completely clueless, and how many of each?

or am i better off selling these and getting a 01/02 fog?

thx
Fogs have what 2 wires (If I remember correctly?)

Just cut off the bulb connector

place a male end on one end and a female on the other

or just solder them together

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
if you get the connectors you don't need to solder. get 4 female, 4 male and crimp them (using a crimp tool) to the ends of your stripped wires. make sure you get shielded connectors and wrap everything with electrical tape when done

much easier going from H3 to 9006 fogs than the other way around btw

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know I'm bumping a really old thread, but I just came across a set of black housing '03 fogs and plan to use them in my '01. Does anyone know what color goes where or am I looking forward to trial and error?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts