Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a silver loaded 2003 is300 5M this week and wanted to know how you all like it? Does it shift smooth, quick, nice engine sound? Also wanted to know a good cold air intake to purchase? Can't really do much to the car being that I am leasing it....Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
the shifts are pretty long from what i can remember, i have the plp short shifter now and the throws are much shorter and crisp

the shifting is pretty smooth but the clutch is real soft, you just gotta play with it and get used to the engagement point

there's no cai for the is300, check the go fast forum for performance parts

·
8,880 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D
It's great!!!
I wouldn't say the clutch is soft. Quite the contrary.
The shifting is hard to get used to, but it's all good.
--------------------
Bottom line,
It is FUN to drive! :lol:

·
Registered
882 Posts
yes, the 5speed is quite nice, its not choppy compared to the other ones i have driven. it's more 'precise' in a way. drove my cousin's RSX-s and that thing grinds second like a mofo. the shifter and clutch is kind of tricky at first, but you'll love it when you get use to it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i absolutely love the manual tranny.. its not cereberal like many honda trannys.. this one makes you work which is fun. Its gears are nicely matched and the clutch is nice. Not too firm, not too soft.. however, i would like it a little more firmer... I just wish we had a shorter 5th gear or even a 6th so that we can get better mileage.. i'm turning over 3g at 65mph :O

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love the manual transmission, although I will admit it takes alittle getting used to. You can feel the shifter "clicking" into gear, which I like, but my wife does not. She doesn't drive the car much so she's never gotten used to it, and she thinks she's not hitting the gear and is afraid she's gonna grind because of that feel. But once you get used to it its nice. Another little thing to get used to that many people have reported is that a low frequency "thump" occurs when shifting occassionally. This too is normal and is something that I've gotten used to and actually like now for some strange reason. Anyway, have fun with it!

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
mr. haison said:
yes, the 5speed is quite nice, its not choppy compared to the other ones i have driven. it's more 'precise' in a way. drove my cousin's RSX-s and that thing grinds second like a mofo. the shifter and clutch is kind of tricky at first, but you'll love it when you get use to it.
that's probably because you can't drive it right. i've never had a problem w/any rsx-s. i did however feel that thump in the is300 i test drove and the throws are long.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
appreciate the feedback

Thanks for all the feedback on the 5M, I pick it up this weekend and now i'm very excited!! :D. I will be back to tell you what i think next week or after I am used to it !!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Manual sucks, and holds lesser boost nowadays

plus the Syncro defect, around 20K miles.

some people already had to have the tranny swapped,

my car was just dropped off today at the dealer for major tranny issues

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tranny

yea i have read that there have been problems around 20K. They better hold out until 39K when i turn it in on my lease :p

·
Registered
290 Posts
i love my maunel...shifts are kinda long but you can just get a short shifter...clutch feel is great but very unique it will take time to get used to...as for any problems there covered by warrenty other then clutch

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
nycggp said:
I love the manual transmission, although I will admit it takes alittle getting used to. You can feel the shifter "clicking" into gear, which I like, but my wife does not. She doesn't drive the car much so she's never gotten used to it, and she thinks she's not hitting the gear and is afraid she's gonna grind because of that feel. But once you get used to it its nice. Another little thing to get used to that many people have reported is that a low frequency "thump" occurs when shifting occassionally. This too is normal and is something that I've gotten used to and actually like now for some strange reason. Anyway, have fun with it!
Ever since Ive had the car I have always wondered about that "thump". Even though lots of people who ride in my car dont notice. Do you know why it happens?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It's okay.
Not as hard as BMW and not as soft as a Honda.
I guess it's right in the middle. I like the shifts.
The other day I nailed the shifts perfectly - it was so smooth.

1st - 2nd shifts are still rough for me - not to mention that if I wear boots and not my tennis shoes - I have to relearn the feel of the clutch.

Does a short shifter void warranty?

Also, I hear the thump only when I put it in first before moving.
I hate the CRC tho - it feels like my clutch is slipping and it make me look like and idiot :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
nycggp said:
Ever since Ive had the car I have always wondered about that "thump". Even though lots of people who ride in my car dont notice. Do you know why it happens?
yeah the manual sucks...that "thump" is annoying; i either granny-shift or double clutch to prevent it

·
Registered
317 Posts
papercliprebel said:
mr. haison said:
that's probably because you can't drive it right. i've never had a problem w/any rsx-s. i did however feel that thump in the is300 i test drove and the throws are long.
rsx-s 6 speed 2nd gear grinding problem is very common among rsx owners... acura actually have a recall for that already...

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
goldark said:
Does a short shifter void warranty?
Theoretically, if the shifter caused the problem, then yes your warranty would not cover it. But if any problem you experience was not CAUSED by the short shifter, even if it is a tranny problem, it will be covered under the powertrain warranty.

I had my tranny replaced at 35K miles, with a short shifter installed. It took the dealer an extra visit or two to determine that the short shifter hadn't caused the problem, but other than that, they gave me no hassle about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
nycggp said:
Somebody just restarted a new thread about this, there's an explanation here:
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13353845
Its a normal sound apparently that has no fix.

·
Registered
441 Posts
rominl said:
papercliprebel said:
mr. haison said:
rsx-s 6 speed 2nd gear grinding problem is very common among rsx owners... acura actually have a recall for that already...
I find granny shifting makes the thump/crunching noise louder!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts