Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
"A straight six, with five gears stacked behind it routing power through a Torsen limited-slip differential to the rear wheels is about as nice a setup as any young racer could ask for."

·
Registered
301 Posts
I hate it when the Audi A4 is mentioned in the same sentence as the IS!!

And they say you can buy a 330i for $33,990. Maybe with cloth and 15 inch wheels

All in all, the stock options that the IS comes is a big factor in making it the better buy. A comparable 330i would hit about 37!

·
Registered
19 Posts
215 hp @ 5800 rpm, 218 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm
3.0-liter inline six, five-speed manual
Rear-wheel drive
0-60 mph: 6.8 sec. (mfr. claim)
EPA city mpg: n/a (who cares)?
Base price $29,435, as tested $35,515

-poetry for these eyes...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Originally posted by sambusik:

And they say you can buy a 330i for $33,990. Maybe with cloth and 15 inch wheels

!
I noticed that too and it is a little misleading. The prices given for the other cars are the base price. So, the manual IS is about $4500 cheaper than the 330 before adding options.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not taking any crabs from the article on how they like one car over the other. In this case, more likely given out the base price of 3 series and S4 but compare to IS @ tested (loaded)price (which are higher than around $4K).
I like IS and I bought the damn car. If I want it to go fast, I'm willing to spend my extra money to mod it. I don't give a sh1t if bimber do better than IS or not!!!! Regardless, I love my IS and if I have to do it again; I'm still going to buy IS over 3 series !!!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I agree! That article was totally misleading with respect to the prices of the other cars. I checked out the BMW 330 and the Audi A4 before I bought my IS and they were more expensive than the IS. The BMW 330 hadn't come out yet when I was looking around but I did get a price listing from the BMW dealer. And when I add up the cost for all the options I wanted, the price was way more than the IS. Same with the A4, when I added all the options I wanted the price already up there. These options were the same options I got for my IS and the IS was more affordable. I gotta admit I still paid a huge sum for my IS, but nonetheless it was lower than the price of the other two cars.

IS300_white

·
11,061 Posts
They can fib all they want to about the actual prices...anyone who does some shopping will soon discover reality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will reserve judgment until I've driven one and seen some actual performance tests, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

I've been looking forward to the introduction of the 5M IS300 since it was announced last year, and have been seriously considering one as a replacement for my 323Ci. However, if AW's numbers are right, the 5M IS300 is much closer in performance to the 325 (and my 323) than it is to the 330 (325 ~7 sec. to 60, 330 ~6). When compared to a 325, the Lexus is not much cheaper, if at all, even when similarly equipped. For a dyed in the wool BMW fan such as myself, that makes moving to the Lexus pretty hard to justify.

Too bad. I was hoping for numbers in the low 6s. I really would prefer something substantially quicker than the car I have now.

Of course, all of this is IMHO. No flames, please.

·
Registered
301 Posts
JST,
You're right, I would frankly expect the 0 to 60 figures for the IS 5spd to be much better.

I've had this discussion with someone before, 0to60 is only one criteria that comes up when you compare these cars. I've driven a 2001 325, and I didn't feel nearly as much pick up or torque. Compared to my IS, I honestly felt the car was slow...

I guess what i'm saying is that the 0to60 figures are not a good criteria to compare the two cars. I've never seen the IS compared head-to-head with the 325. It's always compared with the 330. Even though their price is similiar (IS vs 325), I feel that they are a different class of car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At least they were honest about how Lexus fibbed the IS300 numbers.

I just wish Lexus would 'un-NSync' the styling of the car so that BMW and Audi would consider it enough of a threat to lower their prices.

Still, a half second is a half second and you cannot knock the improvement!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I agree with sambusik. When I went to the Mercedes-Benz PowerTrip, I had a chance to drive a BMW 325 and a MB C320. The BMW had great handling characteristics (as you would expect) but acceleration was slug-like. No feeling of torque when slamming the pedal down. The Benz, on the other hand, had good acceleration but handled like a pig. I didn't even bother touching the A4 (yuck!). so in the end IS 300 comes out on top

Also had a chance to test drive a CL500, but that's just not a fair comparison

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 325 with an automatic is a real dog. You're right that the automatic Lexus offers much better acceleration than the slushbox 325. I was frankly surprised at how little power the 325iA had compared to my car, which is a 323 manual.

With a 5 speed, though, it's an entirely different story. The 2.5L engine just doesn't respond well to automatics. Obviously, with its deeper well of torque, the Lexus 3.0 is a different story (as are the BMW 2.8 and 3.0Ls).

As I said, I'll have to wait until I drive one to be sure, but my suspicion is that the perceived power difference between the IS300 5M and the 325iM is going to be much smaller.

As for comparos, I'm pretty sure that the Jan 01 issue of Car and Driver compared an IS300 to a 325, on the theory that they were close in price. The 325 had a stick, and beat out the IS300 automatic. Who knows what the results will be when the sticks face off head-to-head?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Did you guys check out the last sentence in the article?

"Except maybe that turbo-charged version offered in Japan. But let’s take this one big improvement at a time."

Someone tell the writer, Mark Vaughn ([email protected]), to fix his error! Last time I checked, there were no stock versions of the Altezza turbocharged.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hmm i could be wrong but i think the atlezza come with a turbo 2 liter inline 4 (newer version of the celica alltrac engine) might be why its like 400 pounds ligther the the is300
, but i could be wrong

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

THE ALTEZZA DOES NOT COME TURBOCHARGED FROM THE FACTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT HAS THE 3S-GE!!! IF IT WAS TURBOCHARGED, IT WOULD HAVE THE 3S-GTE!!!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by JW:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

THE ALTEZZA DOES NOT COME TURBOCHARGED FROM THE FACTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT HAS THE 3S-GE!!! IF IT WAS TURBOCHARGED, IT WOULD HAVE THE 3S-GTE!!!!!

Haha. Write the man and set him straight!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts