Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a short intro...My fiancee is interested in selling her 99 BMW Z3 2.8 for an IS300. Unsure if she wants an auto or manual, but she needs to have a navigation system (very directionally challenged) and I would like for her to have traction control and head air bags. I am waiting on a BMW E46 M3, so I can comment on the BMW threads, but I will not get into a flame war about which make is better (we test drove and IS300 and I was impressed)- flame wars accomplish nothing.

I went thru the archives and searched for info on the 2002 and this is what I came up with:
1. manual will be available, looks like a 5 speed but there's a slight chance it might be a 6 speed
2. Navigation will be available (doubtful if it is standard) and nobody knows if it will be CD or DVD based
3. Traction control (I guess Lexus calls it VSC) may or may not be coming

Is this correct?

Any idea if head airbags will be added to the IS300?

Now for the Dallas people...
Any opinions on dealers? We went to Park Place in Grapevine and was impressed. Does anybody know if a guy named Brian Toce works for any Lexus dealer in Dallas (I think possibly Park Place in Dallas)?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Traction control is already standard, however it is different than VSC (vehicle skid control). I don't know the exact difference between the two, but I think VSC is an enhanced version of traction control that help you at all speed (whereas traction control usually help you only at low speed).
I think your best bet to find out the info on the 2002 car is to go to an auto show close to you (Dallas should have one, right?) or wait for one of us who are attending either the Detroit or LA international auto show.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am used to BMW's ASC and DSC so Lexus traction control systems are foreign to me.

The LA and Detroit shows are in early January, Houston has their show in late Jan or early Feb, the Dallas show isn't until March or April.

We aren't looking to buy until July any way, so I am in no rush. Another thing about the 2002s that was unclear in teh archives was when it is coming out, I saw June to October.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think Daniel's suggestions are good ones. As far as Park Place Lexus, I didn't care for the salesman I had. Were you looking to lease or buy? If you're looking to lease, email me at [email protected] and I'll give you a contact person's name and number who should be able to give you a much better deal.

------------------

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Bruce, I'm here in Dallas and use Sewell off Lemmon. After you negotiate the lowest price possible feel free to email me and I will check with a connection I have at Westside Lexus in Houston. They can even arrange to have it sent to you.
I have the VSC on my G4 and I really like it; it's not nearly as intrusive as Mercedes' system but I cannot attest to BMW's. The VSC really keeps you from making some mistakes and if you're up for throwing the back end around it's just a click off. I would be very surprised if they used the GPS system I have (hard disc based) for any new Lexus product. My email is [email protected].

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4yoazz- I prefer to buy, but leasing isn't out of the question since she will want a car that is always under warranty.

Thanks Brad. I am not 100% sure where we are going to buy (or even if it will be in the DFW area)- I just graduated with an MBA and will be looking for a job in the DFW area or Austin. I will email you when the time gets closer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ask for Hank at Park Place Lexus in Plano.

Although I decided to buy a Cl Type-S instead, Hank was the most professional, courteous and honest salesperson I talked to in all the 10 dealerships I shopped at.

This dealership had a stock of about 40 IS300s, in any color and variety you want.

At this dealership I also negotiated the lowest price anywhere (I won't quote the price because this was 2 months ago).

Hope this helps...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
booker
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing