Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep on hearing about DVD based navigations systems, do they play DVDs?
Sentinel

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
they dont play DVD's, but i hear you can buy some sort of kit to make it play DVD Movies...from Panasonic i think...not sure, anybody?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i don't know about the 02 IS's, but with the RX300 and LX470, they play DVD movies when the car is stationary only, i would have to assume the IS is the same way, but i don't know for sure. i will let you know in roughly 2 weeks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
they will NOT play dvds,your best bet is to buy like a playstation 2 for like 250 bucks an then you get a dvd player an a playstation 2 for your car

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Lexus DVD Navigation will play regular DVD's only when the transmission is in park, and only the audio track when the transmission is in any other gear. GotoHere and take a look at the 2001: Technology page where they explain the system in the LX-470. I hope the IS300 has the same system.

dr1ft3r

·
Registered
207 Posts
uh...i just said it wont play dvds guys,ive been in one an put a dvd in,it doesnt work,so buy a ps2 an then u have a dvd player,navagation,and video games at a fraction of the cost of buying a dvd player from like sony or alpine

·
Registered
142 Posts
according to the lexus dealer near me the only navigation that plays dvd movies is the one in the lx470. And he said that the 2002 IS's nav wont be able to. But does anyone know about buying the 2002 nav unit and having it installed, and the 2002 armrest??

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by Mario1235:
uh...i just said it wont play dvds guys,ive been in one an put a dvd in,it doesnt work,so buy a ps2 an then u have a dvd player,navagation,and video games at a fraction of the cost of buying a dvd player from like sony or alpine

hush up idiot. even if you get a PS2, you cannot hook it up to your navigation unless you have a system board that can overide it.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
any info where this system board can be purcahsed? i'll need one for my mp3 hard drive also, and my HKS C.A.M.P. let me know please, thanks

-GTE

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:

hush up idiot. even if you get a PS2, you cannot hook it up to your navigation unless you have a system board that can overide it.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Originally posted by Mario1235:
All you need is an FM modulator an that'll work.......BOOOYA!!!
I don't see how sending a signal over Frequency Modulation is going to get any info to the DVD Screen. The radio would be able to pick it up, but the DVD Screen wouldn't......

·
13,978 Posts
now now now kids...stop fighting. you can actually convert a stock nav system to watch dvd's/play games using a pioneer RGB-1 rgb to composite converter. you gotta solder some wires and stuff but it's been done. go check out the acura cl board. i think i've seen some ppl on there get their stock nav system to watch dvd's!

here's a link: http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000170

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by oneeyejack:
now now now kids...stop fighting. you can actually convert a stock nav system to watch dvd's/play games using a pioneer RGB-1 rgb to composite converter. you gotta solder some wires and stuff but it's been done. go check out the acura cl board. i think i've seen some ppl on there get their stock nav system to watch dvd's!

This is true. I spoke to Ron at StreetEffects and he said the same thing. However, apparently those Pioneer units are getting very hard to come by. I want to get the mod done on my 2002 and he said he will let me know when he has them in stock again.

.../austin

here's a link: http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000170

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Anybody know about how much this Pioneer RGB conversion will cost (parts + labor) and what is involved?

I assume they have to tear the whole dash apart, which sucks! It seems like once you take that thing apart and put it back together, it is never quite the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts