Lexus IS Forum banner
181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I also noticed the vvti camshaft was a lot harder to rotate to tdc than the other side. There is no interference with the pistons so I’m not sure if this is normal. appreciate anyone with advise.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,342 Posts
Why do you say there is no interference? There is most definitely interference.

if you set the bottom end to TDC and then rotated each camshaft to their appropriate marks individually, you most definitely WILL run a valve right into the piston.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Why do you say there is no interference? There is most definitely interference.

if you set the bottom end to TDC and then rotated each camshaft to their appropriate marks individually, you most definitely WILL run a valve right into the piston.
Bottom end was not tdc I made sure all pistons were down before rotating them

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Easiest way to time these VVTi engines is this: set the crank key way to “11:00”. Install the cams with the pins at “12:00” - make sure the VVTi gear is rotated correctly. Bring the crank key way to “12:00”. Slip on the belt and install the hydraulic tensioner. Slowly rotate the crank, if you meet resistance then you mis-timed it, or the belt jumped a tooth during install. Start over.

In your last pic in post #185, @keagan22 you have the engine mis-timed. You may have damaged the valves. The crank is at 12, the intake cam looks to be at 10* BTDC, and the exhaust cam is at 03:00. That’s incorrect and I would advise popping the cams out, and following my above directions. You want to align either all the “dots” on the cam gears (BTDC) or the “dashes” (TDC).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Easiest way to time these VVTi engines is this: set the crank key way to “11:00”. Install the cams with the pins at “12:00” - make sure the VVTi gear is rotated correctly. Bring the crank key way to “12:00”. Slip on the belt and install the hydraulic tensioner. Slowly rotate the crank, if you meet resistance then you mis-timed it, or the belt jumped a tooth during install. Start over.

In your last pic in post #185, @keagan22 you have the engine mis-timed. You may have damaged the valves. The crank is at 12, the intake cam looks to be at 10* BTDC, and the exhaust cam is at 03:00. That’s incorrect and I would advise popping the cams out, and following my above directions. You want to align either all the “dots” on the cam gears (BTDC) or the “dashes” (TDC).
thanks will do crank never had any resistance wouldn’t I feel it when rotating crank it was the same as if the head wasn’t on

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
wouldn’t I feel it when rotating crank
Yeah, I can feel it when I am off a tooth on my engine. It will spin about 15* easy, and stop. I’ve never tried to force it, for fear of bending a valve or four. I’ve got fairly high lift cams @ 9.9mm so my engine is more susceptible to mis-timing. The stock GE vvti- is it interference? Yes, no, maybe? I’ve seen arguments for all. Either way, if you put the belt on as yours is pictured, you need to re-do it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Today I pulled my head off because I could see debree on top of pistons, I believe the machine shop never hottanked and cleaned my head they were supposed to take it all apart but they definitely did not. They definitely resurfaced it and cleaned outside. This is tiny some larger chunks of metal, it all wiped up but still I believe it must of came out when valves opened up (btw no valves hit my pistons as they are still untouched as I thought) there is like grainy dust inside of head and outside. I also found not 1 BUT 2 old oem head stud washers that I must of left , they were sitting perfectly hidden from me seems like they would have removed them before “assembling” it again. I am glad I pulled the head back off.
Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Gas

Serveware Kitchen utensil Dishware Cookware and bakeware Metal

Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Little update, got everything cleaned and as I thought there was metal shavings everywhere inside it. I going to get billet keepers and new valve seals and maybe retainers but definitely the keepers and seals.
Automotive tire Mass production Wood Gas Motor vehicle

Plant Wood Table Metal Event

181 - 200 of 205 Posts