Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to the sales man after my IS300 test drive and he mentioned that his boss had been to a conference on the upcoming cars. He saw the IS300 wagon, but he also said the the 2002 IS300 would have standard (?) steering assist.

He described it this way: there is a sensor in the steering wheel that tells the ECU which direction you WANT the car to turn and then there was yaw sensors in the car that tell which direction the car is actually going. The ECU then actuates the 4 brakes to control over/under steer.

The first thing I asked was, "Can you turn it off?" He said yes.

Ever hear of this? What do you all think?

Farch

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like skid control. It's already on the LS400/LS430. Cadillac calls theirs Stabilitrak and BMW calls it Dynamic Stability Control (I think). As for your question as to whether you can turn it off - I don't know. But then, why would you want to turn it off? It actually protects you from losing control of the car while performing bone-head maneuvers.

Originally posted by Farch:
I was talking to the sales man after my IS300 test drive and he mentioned that his boss had been to a conference on the upcoming cars. He saw the IS300 wagon, but he also said the the 2002 IS300 would have standard (?) steering assist.

He described it this way: there is a sensor in the steering wheel that tells the ECU which direction you WANT the car to turn and then there was yaw sensors in the car that tell which direction the car is actually going. The ECU then actuates the 4 brakes to control over/under steer.

The first thing I asked was, "Can you turn it off?" He said yes.

Ever hear of this? What do you all think?

Farch

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think maybe they are describing the dynamic stability control system (to match what BMW offers).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as turning it off, I was thinking of the people that drift for fun. I always wanted to learn how to do that

Farch

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Mercedes' vehicle stability control kicks in WAY too early and the reason why you would want to turn it off is so you don't have the car "correcting" behavior that you have full control over. It's the same concept with ABS and how you give up X amount of vehicle body control in return for a shorter stopping distance as well as emergency stopping without locking up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
it should be something you can turn on/off like traction control. The M5 video that was posted eariler on this board, shows the driver turning off its DSC to do some serious drifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts