Lexus IS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by Bruce:
Back the turnip truck up a bit... Yes new BMWs do come with full maintainence for the first 3 years or 36k miles BUT BUT BUT, abnormal use will NOT be covered. Track use is considered abnormal use since it is very hard on brake pads especially. Some dealers don't care, some do. Don't EXPECT the full maintainence plan from BMW to cover YOUR track expenses. You gotta pay to play.
Well, many people over on the bimmer boards have warped rotors soon and were replaced. The standard policy is if the light is on, the pads are replaced, no questions asked. The dealers don't ask quesions, because they get paid to do it. My front pads and rotors wore out at around 13K miles, replaced swiftly without any hassle. If they do ask, just say "Uhhh...I guess I got a bad set"
But maybe if you burn a set out every 2000 miles, they might say something

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey Chris, it'd might have been coincidence or an effect of the new shocks/springs, but after my first day at Mont Tremblant, it picked up this awful rattle from the rear when going over bad bumps (on a decent road you'd never know). I couldn't find the source so I ran the 2nd day, and the car was fine (the track's so smooth) - should have it fixed soon, but I had a family emergency and stuff so I've been busy.
You are absolutely right of course, I should freshen up my car and that's probably what I'll do. My car is not as stiff & new as your IS300 of course, I think my H&R/Koni setup is too bumpy for the road, but I'll play with the adjustment to see if I can fix it.

Originally posted by croddy:
Chris, what is making you feel that the track days have been too hard on your car? I have now done 8 track days, and even after an un-fortunate incident off the track, my car feels great. I have replaced worn parts, but the car is still smooth and seems to be running well. I do not know if it is advisable stetch your $ if you are going to be on the track and possibly have some incidental expenses. Maybe $ would be better spent freshening up your car. If I could buy an new car right now for the same $, I think I would do the Lexus again, although it would be very hard to chose between the cars you mentioned. If I did do the Lexus again, I would do the same springs, shocks and sways also. However, I think you should wait, I think Lexus will put more HP in this car before too long. They are behind the curve right now and they can not stay there. Just my thoughts. Hope to see at a track event sometime.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Buy a new 3 series coupe! I made the biggest mistake with my IS300. It doesnt seem to carry the prestige as much as a BMW or a Benz. The more I think about it, the car was targeted to young punkass drivers who seem to be spending daddy's daily allowance. Too bad I have 34 more payments left. Cant wait to hand it back in! It just reminds me of riced out Honda/Acura.
Sorry guys, any1 want mine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just went to my local BMW dealer. The 2002 330 will have new lights. It looks like the new 7 series.

If you get the sport package, they will offer an 18" wheel upgrade for $900.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Rdracer 25:

You should have thought about those things when you bought the car! If you're that fickle about your purchase, what makes you think you wouldn't regret your BMW after a year for whatever reason?? The grass is always greener my friend...

You have a fantastic piece of machinery, try to enjoy it. There are plenty of folks that would want to be in your position. I see people of ALL ages in IS300's. I could've bought the 330 or M3, but I chose the IS 5-speed because reliability is a priority, and it has all the performance, looks, and "prestige" I need. The stereo is fantastic! I added a sub to complete the experience. A friend of mine bought a loaded 530i, and his system sounds like an AM radio in comparison! Enjoy your IS!!

Spoiler

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is why I worry about becoming an E46 BMW owner, damn.

Originally posted by RdRacer25:
Buy a new 3 series coupe! I made the biggest mistake with my IS300. It doesnt seem to carry the prestige as much as a BMW or a Benz. The more I think about it, the car was targeted to young punkass drivers who seem to be spending daddy's daily allowance. Too bad I have 34 more payments left. Cant wait to hand it back in! It just reminds me of riced out Honda/Acura.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just an update - my car is fixed - the rear sway bar was totally loose, the bolts all hand tight! So I did 2 track days without a functional rear sway bar. Hmmmm. It understeered a fair amount, but I'm thinking sway bars are overrated.
Also, sort of scratched the used M3 off my list, it's down to IS300 or 330i. I test drove one and found it handles identical to my 325i (w/ H&R Koni), just a lot more power. Not worth $10k+. I'd rather have a slower but new car that handles as well (IS300 or 330i). Or keep my 325i.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My friend with the 330 (2001) was drooling of my is300 this weekend. If you can afford both its a tought choice. Im not into prestige at all it a marketing concept made to seperate you from your cash. Im into a quality product period. I wanted a 5spd RWD car with a LSD that handles(that was reliable). That left the is300, the new c coupe(to heavy not bad looking though) and the 330i. Quite honestly I just could not afford the 330. I went to look at one and the dealer was snobby and the sticker was 42k(i didnt want to break 34). I dont know how it didnt have NAV. I got my is300 for 31700. And im happy with it
. But thats just me my family is historicaly poor and my old 2k ev v6 accord was the nicest one before I got the lex.

But for the track I think the parts for the is300 are cheaper and I heard the Supra brakes will fit. Isnt the is300 more balanced then the 330?
Sentinel

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I agree about prestige. If you don't need a lot of options (I just want leather & Sport package), and don't mind going to Munich to get it, you can get $4000 off sticker of a 330 (about $33k).
At the track, I hear the BMW is better at the limit - while the IS300 is more spunky at 8/10ths. But I can't say having driven neither at the track. I'd say they're both fine, both have great stock brakes, and both probably need mods for the track to be ideal. (larger rear sway bars?) BMW parts are very cheap ($200 for set of H&R springs etc.). Tough choice.

Originally posted by Sentinel:
My friend with the 330 (2001) was drooling of my is300 this weekend. If you can afford both its a tought choice. Im not into prestige at all it a marketing concept made to seperate you from your cash. Im into a quality product period. I wanted a 5spd RWD car with a LSD that handles(that was reliable). That left the is300, the new c coupe(to heavy not bad looking though) and the 330i. Quite honestly I just could not afford the 330. I went to look at one and the dealer was snobby and the sticker was 42k(i didnt want to break 34). I dont know how it didnt have NAV. I got my is300 for 31700. And im happy with it
. But thats just me my family is historicaly poor and my old 2k ev v6 accord was the nicest one before I got the lex.

But for the track I think the parts for the is300 are cheaper and I heard the Supra brakes will fit. Isnt the is300 more balanced then the 330?
Sentinel

·
Registered
9 Posts
get the BMW new 330CI, i drove it, it feels like touching a SEXY lady.
M3? hope not been punched too often before you.
is300? only if it is much cheaper than 330CI.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
I agree about prestige. If you don't need a lot of options (I just want leather & Sport package), and don't mind going to Munich to get it, you can get $4000 off sticker of a 330 (about $33k).
At the track, I hear the BMW is better at the limit - while the IS300 is more spunky at 8/10ths. But I can't say having driven neither at the track. I'd say they're both fine, both have great stock brakes, and both probably need mods for the track to be ideal. (larger rear sway bars?) BMW parts are very cheap ($200 for set of H&R springs etc.). Tough choice.

What do you mean when you say you have to go to Munich to get one? And for 33K? Thats a sweet price for a 330. Please elaborate on this.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Chris,

I was going to HIGHLY recommend finding a very well-taken care of 95 or 96 M3 but realized you need a sedan. There are few cars equal to an M3 on the track in stock trim. Without any modifications you can be very quick and you can spend a year driving it stock and then do some suspension fun. Or, find one with a few tweaks. Most cost the same or less with some modifications. As far as warranty, dealers are a pain in the ass anyway and most basic stuff you can learn to do yourself. There is a HUGE aftermarket and tons of enthusiasts to give you advice and help. I plan on a '95 M3 or even a 328is for a dedicated track car in a year or two (stock market permitting (and wife also).

I just bought a 323iT for my wife which although a bit heavier than the sedan is pretty representative. It handles wonderfully and is typically BMW (it is has the old steering which actually is quite heavy around town). It has the sport/premium package. The suspension is a perfect compromise of comfort and performance. It is rather stiff actually on bad roads (which I love). My M5 is way stiffer but it has a Dinan suspension and 18" wheels. The glass in the back actually make it a bit tail heavy which makes the balance pretty much nuetral. I really could give a *** what other people think of me because I drive a BMW. I am having fun, they aren't. End of story.

However, it is way more detached than my M5 and just too damn quiet. It would be weird to track a car that smooth.

Just to confuse you further. You can pick up a pretty pristine M5 for about $22-25k these days. It would be more to maintain but you could use the money you save. They are a bit heavy on the track but mine is tons of fun.

Kevin
'91 M5 Dinan stuff, Nurburgring brakes (345mm rotors), 18" BBS RC's with not so sticky Kuhmos (but cheap), stock 17" with RA1's for the track

'00 323iT Steel Gray/Gray leather sport/premium (bought it for $31,700 with 6800 miles, remainder of factory warranty, CPO to 100k)

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lexflex, if you do Euro Delivery of a BMW, the invoice is about 11% lower, and you can still negotiate up from invoice, so you can get $4000+ off sticker. The catch is you have to take initial delivery in Munich, then drop it off (anywhere in europe) after driving it for a day, a week, whatever, and it gets shipped back with the rest of the cars. The only way to buy a new BMW in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
S38, don't know if you saw my post, but my instructor at Mont Tremblant driver's school had a purple '95 European M5 (3.8L?), and he gave me a ride - the craziest thing I've experienced ever - he hit 125+ mph on the straights and with R compounds cornered at ungodly speeds! I have enormous respect for the older M5s now, those cars are SICK!
I do know how good M3s are on the track, been passed by a few, though I've passed a few myself. With my H&R Sport/Koni setup, my car is also a fantastic track car, as my instructor demonstrated when driving my car - passing people like they were standing still!

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you want prestige then dump the BMW period and get the Benz. Benz carries far greater prestige then the BMW if you'er going to compare BMW's prestige to Lexus's. Like a friend of mine often says, "a BMW is just a poor man's Benz". Who cares?!

The IS300 was targeted towards 3-series buyers which seems to be targeted towards "young punkass drivers who seem to be spending daddy's daily allowance" the same way the IS300 would. So to buy the 3-series would just be hypocracy for you.

Obviously you aren't too good at making decisions. No good, haha.

A few of my friends have 330's and among them, some would be happy to trade in theirs for a IS300 while others are the opposite. "To each their own."

Originally posted by RdRacer25:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I suggest you read my impressions on the IS after I took it to Searspoint but I'll give you a rundown on what I think.

Being a road course racer I tend to go for performance so keep that in mind.

THe M3 is THE car when it comes to road racing. Great brakes handeling and good speed. That said, the cost to fix things are atronical. Just fixing the barkes(new pads, rotors) will cost upwards of 1000 dollars. It's not a cheap car to fix. I know because my other racing buddy had one.

THe 330 is a great car. It's underpowered but brakes are good and you'll be getting a warrenty for the drivetrain and engine. This would be a better track car than the IS on the track (stock for stock).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tical, I agree the M3 is the most exciting option, I just think after paying $30,000 I won't be able to afford to upkeep it - my 325i has been reliable, but I've bought brake pads, rotors, springs, shocks and stuff for the track - track days takes their toll. At least the IS300 or 330i would be cheaper to keep up.
I spent only 2 days at the track this weekend and now Lexus wants 400 doallars to replace my pad and resurface my rotors....not exactly cheap. Try Audi.....they pay all brake costs, all u have to buy is tires!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tical, I'll keep my eyes open for such a car.
5shifter, usually stock brake pads aren't too good for the track, so I'd probably have to replace them, but you're right, an IS300 or 330i would run great out of the box, I'd only have to change the brake fluid and maybe pads. Even the stock tires on both cars are decent.

Originally posted by 5shifter:
[qb]As for your track driving concerns. BMW pays for all worn out parts in the first 3yrs/36K, so you can abuse your brakes at the track and not worry about replacing them. Basically with the 330, you only buy gas and tires, very benificial for a track driver.
[/QB]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by croddy:
[QB]Chris, what is making you feel that the track days have been too hard on your car? I have now done 8 track days, and even after an un-fortunate incident off the track, my car feels great. QB]

how hard were u driving? I found the opposite when it come to brakes. THe brake are very prone to fade and faded on me after three sessions at the track. With that said I was driving it very hard....

·
Registered
486 Posts
I didn't say the car was perfect, I just said that a few track days should not destroy the car. I drive hard enough to be competitive in my class, but try to be smooth as possible also. I have to drive the car every day.
Originally posted by cartman300:

how hard were u driving? I found the opposite when it come to brakes. THe brake are very prone to fade and faded on me after three sessions at the track. With that said I was driving it very hard....

21 - 40 of 62 Posts