Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, they are here. In fact, Mission Viejo Lexus says they are not here yet but they have 6 2002 models hidden at Saddleback College until they can finish moving the 2001 models. I got to chek all of them out and here is the scoop:

Colors: New Red is perfect if you like Ferrari Red
New White - very cool, they are using incredible amounts of pearl in the clearcoat, almost gives a metal-flake effect, definately noticeable in the sunlight
New Blue - awesome, has the pearl in the clearcoat and is just a touch lighter than the SBM
Gold - did not see one

Rims - unchanged

Grill - saw the new grill side by side with the old one and I like the subtle changes, it is a definate improvment. Has the blacked out look with the Carbon-fibre-ish look on the L

Nav - I didn't want it until I saw it, very easy to use, very accurate and the joystick is perfectly located with the new center armrest. The nav also has a planner (like a palm one) so you can put in appointments and such, very intuitive.

Console - Excellent. Great fit and finish and the leather looks perfect. I only wish there was more storage, no way CDs are going in the little cube storage space. Still has the power outlet for cell phones

Cupholders - carry-over of the old style (2 in front) unless Nav is included then you only get one but it is larger

Leather - the perforated leather is definately Lexus quality. I wouldn't get the Ecsaine having seen the full leather. Also, the door trim is NOT perforated anymore. The black leather I saw had grey piping on it similar to the Luxury package in Tan in 2001

Rearview mirror - VERY cool. It is auto and also has a small rectangle in the lower right with the digital compass in it, very trick

Dashboard - much better. It is all black now and the trim is made of stronger, denser material on a par with BMW. The 'plastic-y' grey trim is no longer there and it definately classes up the dash. Note that the CD player trim and the door trim (power windows/locks) still have the grey/silver trim as in 2001.

Chrome on door speakers - looked OK.

Tail-lights: the smoked talilights look really nice. Less ricey, if you will, and are on the Red, black, blue and grey that I saw. The white still has the chrome.

Gas milage stickers: 18 and 25-25-25. That is right 25. And all the cars were autos. The 2001 was sitting next to the 2002 and the 2001 had 23 on it. I guess Lexus just redid their tests and found it did better than originally quoted and so it is reflected in the 2002 sticker!

Overall the changes moved the is300 up the Luxury ladder and addressed some of the shortcomings of the original model. the price hasn't changed either and that is a bonus (in fact the sun roof is $500 less, go figure)

One weird fact, the black IS I saw was loaded and had every option except VSC. LS, heated seats and the works but no VSC. I am wondering if the Cali dealers don't think it is important and won't be ordering even the loaded vehicles with the VSC. Strange.

Let me know what you guys think

·
11,061 Posts
If I recall, some folks were looking for LSD in CA and had a very hard time finding it. Sounds like they are not going to stock the VSC down there either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SeattleSheila:
If I recall, some folks were looking for LSD in CA and had a very hard time finding it. Sounds like they are not going to stock the VSC down there either.
yeah, it had the LSD but not the VSC. That was what was weird. Hope that is not the case, I wanted the VSC but can do without it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
aust182-
Good report! So is the dashboard the same color (black) as the dash in the 2001's with the LP package? That is what drew me to the LP package originally because I didn't like the greyish two-tone look. I'm glad they have improved the materials too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
aust182

Were there manuals in the pack that you saw. I went yesterday and they told me I would have to wait because they did not have any yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by marke1:
aust182-
Good report! So is the dashboard the same color (black) as the dash in the 2001's with the LP package? That is what drew me to the LP package originally because I didn't like the greyish two-tone look. I'm glad they have improved the materials too.
Marke1 - yes, the dash was the same color black. No more of the grey two-tone look and I think that is what makes it look classier. Funny, I was tapping on the dash materials to see composition and the sales guy was a little taken aback. Anyhow, sounds solid and definately looks better.

HapaHoulie, weird there was not a stick in the whole pack. Even the Red one was an automatic. I am getting the auto but wanted to see the stick just to get some feedback on the new but no luck.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I spent about tow hours going over the cars so there may be stuff I forgot. Plus I can make a quick trip back and look at them if needed.

.../austin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts